Mac Vs. PC - Vista Bloat

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Blitzer, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Mac Vs. PC - Vista

------------------------------------------------------
    And all I did was post a video I thought was funny!

:animlol: :rofl: :laughabove: :banana: :tongueout: :upeyes:

2. ax157

ax157 Libertarian

I gotta say those ads irritate me to no end.

I wonder when the marketing people over at apple are gonna be informed that essentially they ARE PC's now. :upeyes:

3. JBlitzen

JBlitzen .22 Hater

I installed Vista Ultimate last week, finally upgraded to a new machine from my old Windows 2000 antique. Vista installed absolutely no trial software or bloat of any kind. In fact, having hunted through the windows components options to install IIS and some other stuff, I don't recall seeing any bloat whatsoever.

I agree, these ads are always a little repugnant, but this one just seems slanderous.

4. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I think it's funny that people really get into this whole "one computer versus another" thing. I prefer Mac OS and will soon replace my Sony laptop with MacBook Pro, and will replace my G5 iMac with a new one in another 6 months or so.

I have been told that I am an idiot for using an Apple-branded computer, and one guy said that I must certainly be a homosexual. lol. It's just a computer.

I've used Vista and it seems fine to me. I just prefer Mac OS, I like how they package their hardware (there really isn't a PC equivalent of the iMac that is well packaged IMO, and the MacBook is durable aluminum, not painted plastic). It's just one of those things that get people all bent out of shape.

I think that the current Mac ads are dumb, but I did think the .dll error one was funny (when PC whispered to Mac that PC's buddy was a "goner") Apple has such cool looking computers, and a unique OS that is easy to use. Why not just focus on that, instead of constantly bashing PC's? The only difference is the OS these days, and there are many things you still can't do on a Mac, too. I'm going to require dual boot with Windows XP on my new MacBook Pro, because I have PC-only software that I need to take my law school final exams. The rest of the time it'll be running MacOS.

But I'm waiting until they come with OSX.5 because I don't want to have to upgrade the OS with the new version so close to completion.

5. no one special

no one special

I'm having a personal backlash against Apple.

Steve Jobs likes to lock you in with iCrap.

I have an iPod I bought several years ago. I would not buy another iCrap until Apple changes their "use our software or else" attitude.

They force you to use iTunes, and on the Mac all the iVideo, iCrap stuff makes me sick. Not everyone wears black turtle necks and use iCrap software.

The iPhone's monopolistic lock with AT&T and against the open GSM model is another bone of contention. I hate how Apple seeks to control user experiences so tightly that they lock out compatibility with other service providers / softwares.

/end of rant.

6. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

AS you think soy=gay I can see how uptight you are!!

(post done proudly on a Mac)

7. MOHAA Player

MOHAA Player Guest

I agree 100%:thumbsup:
    I would never own a Apple

8. FLIPPER 348

wow, lots of Apple hate

FWIW- I would never own a PC but have no issues with them or Microsoft, I just like Apple more

9. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

I am a gamer so no Mac for me ever. I don't want to only be able to play 2 year old games and a handful at that!

I will take my easily upgraded AMD machine any day. Cheap parts. Easy to work on. Supported by 99% of software companies. WAY MORE POWERFUL VIDEO CARD (yea, I went there!) Most Mac video card options are pathetic for gaming to say the least.

10. FLIPPER 348

............well it's a good thing I'm not into gaming then!

11. Cassius

Cassius

Apple is a sacrifice of functionality for aesthetics.

The same thing goes for macs as it does for iPods, iPhones, and everything else.

There were handheld MP3 players (lots of them) LONG before iPods came out. Heck, at the time the iPod came out, I had a PDA/phone that not only had 2 gigabytes of MP3s on it's tiny little SD disk, but it also served as my cell phone, my internet connection on the road, and so much more. I even IM'd my roommate from the runway on the way back from a business trip telling him I was about to take off.

But noooooo, people have to go buy whatever comes in pretty colors and looks like Fisher Price made it.

Same thing for mac computers. A huge sacrifice in useability in order to get something that looks "trendy".

12. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

That's what my xbox 360 is for........games.

My Macbook Pro is for everything else.

DW

13. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

We are a two sides of the fence house. I have a PC and Mr Shoe has always been a Mac guy. The Mac is clearly superior for some things. Mr Shoe swears by its simplicity, and he uses all the pieces of iLife (iTunes, iPhoto, iEverythingElse) and loves it. I adore my iPod and I love how we have turned our computer into our home music center for parties and such. It's very coo. But no matter what product you're selling MARKETING is the key and that's the thing Mac has done incredibly well.

Here is a YouTube video of 15 of the commercials. They're terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ReS_ur4Kc&mode=related&search=

Shoeless
    ps: I LOVE the Mac ad campaign. It's brilliant really.

14. MOHAA Player

MOHAA Player Guest

:thumbsup: I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor with a 256 meg G-Force video card,and my graphics are awsome:thumbsup:

15. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

The ad compares the way new pc's are delivered to customers who buy them at the common pc stores. It is not a comparison between Vista and OS/X. Neither operating system installs with trial software. The MAC is sold without trial software and that is the point they are trying to make.

BTW, I am not a "MAC" person. Service Pack 1 for Vista is 4 gigabytes. There is a point to be made that Vista will turn a 2.0 ghz system into a snail whereas OS/X will run fairly well on a 2.0 gigahertz system.

I'm not yet sold on Vista because I like the speed of my 3 gigahertz PC with XP. I won't be purchasing a MAC though.

16. JMag

JMag

When more people realize that they are, regardless of processor, really NOT the same.

:thumbsup:

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

It's brilliant if you don't mind lies. They're both computers. You can do anything with either one, the main difference being the software, and almost all Mac software is availible on the PC.

18. FLIPPER 348

...................so let me get this straight. Tthe iPod outsells all other mP3 players combined (by far) and macbooks sell sucessfully for almost twice as much as a Microsoft based laptop only because they look 'trendy'

ah, ok

funny, mac people don'y get all worked up about folks using PCs!

19. JMag

JMag

Software is key...the salient point is that PC software is more numerous, not better.

Most folks using computers at home are not wire-heads. They want functional, easy to use, INTUITIVE software. iLife and other Apple products are just that. There is NOTHING for the PC that really approaches that.

Add to this, many of the mainstream PC programs (Microsoft Office apps) just look/work better on the Mac, IMO.

More is not better; PC software is a case in point.

20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Is it REALLY easier to use, or is that just what the ads say?

I've seen several people recently taht just could not figure out iTunes, saying it was a bunch of crap etc.

I don't know because I have limited experience with Macs. Most of my experience came from the crash-prone iMacs at my university that ran Mathmatica. I don't know if it was the software, or the hardware, but it was the worst experience I ever had on a computer. Numerous crashes, and the software would act differently with 0 changes to the code, only reloading it.