Mac vs IBM

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Retired in 2001, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Retired in 2001

Retired in 2001

I need to made this choice soon.With school our old desktop is finally close to death.We need to replace it withy another....Thinkging about Apple iMac 20 inch screen 1499.This laptop is so slowed down spyware malware viruses.Mac seems like a better way to go.So help a old man out.:sad:

2. dao

dao Guest

Let me start off by saying that I am a Mac fan; however, I do use PC's for work as well as at home on occasion. It probably helps to know what software you intend to use, or what you intend to use the computer for.

A few points though:

1. New Intel based Mac's can also run Windows, either as a dual-boot setup (a la Boot Camp) or via virtualization software. You can even get rid of Mac OS X completely and go back to Windows if you decide you don't like it - so, at least your investment in the hardware is relatively protected. True, the hardware is a bit on the expensive side, but is also typically premium components and I think worth it.

2. Generally speaking, Macs do have MUCH less problem with viruses, malware, etc... this may change over time as Macs get more popular - the more there are, the more they will become a target for the idiots out there... but right now, Macs are much more secure (and are generally pretty secure out of the box).

3. Java is one area where I've had some problems; if you used any corporate applications that are Java dependent or intensive, you might check compatibilty before you buy. I've found ways around all the issues I've found with my business applcations, but there are a few problem ones out there still.

4. If you will primary browse the web and make basic home documents, there is lots of GOOD software - the included web browser and mail client are pretty good; there are also good freeware ones including Eudora (email) and FireFox (web browsing). For Office-type applications, like a spreadsheet, presentation, and documentation editor, NeoOffice is awesome, free, and MS Office compatible (for MS Office 2003 and earlier - not with the new 2007 formats, at least yet.)

So... hope that helps a little bit. I'm writing this on my home Mac right now (Intel Mac Pro desktop) and have my Mac laptop in a bag ready to go to work tomorrow.

3. Retired in 2001

Retired in 2001

Thanks my middle daughter is big on macs shes has a g4 notebook and loves it.WE also have a grandaughter so it think the mac fits quite nicely :wavey:

4. Retired in 2001

Retired in 2001

Trying to revise my post from late last night:banana:

5. darin2

darin2

You can go with the Macbook laptop for entry levels. College students can get the Macbook for $950 and they also get a free Ipod Nano. They also give an education discount. The Macbook Pro is a little more, but worth the money if you do more than just surf the Internet, email, and word process.

And as already stated...you can dual boot into XP or Vista so that solves the windows problems.

Plus if you go with a cheap windows laptop, I guarantee the processor and/or memory will beg for an upgrade to run Vista.

Good luck

Oh, and I have a 20 in. IMac....love it..run great. I suggest 2gb of ram though.

6. Retired in 2001

Retired in 2001

Thanks out desktop is shot or will be very shortly bought it in 99.That compaq has had a long life I whould say.Apple seems the way to beat the spyware and adware among other bug a boos.