Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Macs can run windows in addition to MacOS, but that's not what I'm looking to do.

I'm wondering if it is possible to format a Mac hard drive & install windows as the ONLY operating system. The MacBook Air is a really sexy piece of hardware and it would be amazing if it ran ONLY windows.

I saw an Air at Fry's the other day for $1100 & it got me thinking....:supergrin:

I've played with Macs for years and hate the OS more and more the more I use them. Their hardware is cool, though.

·
Registered
27,992 Posts
I know that Macs can run windows in addition to MacOS, but that's not what I'm looking to do.

I'm wondering if it is possible to format a Mac hard drive & install windows as the ONLY operating system. The MacBook Air is a really sexy piece of hardware and it would be amazing if it ran ONLY windows.

I saw an Air at Fry's the other day for $1100 & it got me thinking....:supergrin:

I've played with Macs for years and hate the OS more and more the more I use them. Their hardware is cool, though.
Well, guessing you could do that, but you'd have to probably buy a full version of whatever 'doze OS you want to use, then download any drivers for hardware that is on the Mac...

I don't see why it would be that hard..

IGF

·
Knicker Knotter
4,719 Posts

After that I suggest buying a really high performance auto and replacing the engine with one from a Dodge Neon. :wow:

Good Lord man, why buy a Mac to run Windoze? Just buy or build a sexy Windoze platform.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you don't want the OS, then why get a Mac? The "Air" model (last I heard 2-3 months ag0) has overheating problems, lacks any real power to run anything other then the OS itself in a timely fashion. If you want Windows, just get a regular netbook or notebook and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't want the OS, then why get a Mac? The "Air" model (last I heard 2-3 months ag0) has overheating problems, lacks any real power to run anything other then the OS itself in a timely fashion. If you want Windows, just get a regular netbook or notebook and save yourself a few hundred dollars.

True. The Air is just a sexy piece of equipment & it got me wondering if it could be done.

You're right that it is too expensive/underpowered anyway.....$1100 is way out of my price range at this time......at least for anything non-gun related. :supergrin:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After that I suggest buying a really high performance auto and replacing the engine with one from a Dodge Neon. :wow:

Good Lord man, why buy a Mac to run Windoze? Just buy or build a sexy Windoze platform.

See, I view macs the other way around; very sexy hardware crippled by a next-to-useless OS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My son got me a MacBook for my birthday and I got Vista Ultimate from my son in law so I partitioned the HD and using bootcamp, installed Windows Vista. I need Windows for work but do everything else on Mac OS.

·
I like Macs
7,683 Posts
I assume you would partition the drive, set as much as possible to Windows, then boot into windows when you use the computer, I figure you can set Windows as the default OS.

I tried dual partitioning mine, but I ended up undoing it and using Mac OS X as the only OS on mine...

One little problem you might encounter is when you set up Windows, it starts talking about an activation.... might have to have a retail CD or something.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went 50-50 when I partioned my HD, when I boot up I select what system I want. I use Windows for work, MAC for everything else. My wife uses Windows only when she uses the MacBook

·
Edge Of Reality
382 Posts
Have you tried the modern versions of Mac OS X? Especially Leopard?
IMHO OS X 10.4 and 10.5 (Tiger and Leopard) totally leave Windoze in the dust.
Plus, since they are a smaller user base, less of a target, there are no viruses to speak of. No need to burden your system with resource hog AV/AS software.

Or better yet, get a nice regular PC notebook (or netbook) for cheaper, and install Linux. :)

/thread

1 - 11 of 11 Posts