MAC attack

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by M1KEY, Apr 21, 2005.

1. M1KEY

M1KEY

im looking for a new computer, laptop or desktop i havent decided. this is the first time i have considered an apple because i have used them briefly at an apple store and they are pretty slick. plus things are becoming more and more compatible with them.

can u guys give me some advice or feelings about the newer macs. and please only if u have one now or had one in the recent past. is there a certain mac i should stay away from? ur help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

What do you plan on doing with it?

Unless you are doing graphics I would get a PC...

3. M1KEY

M1KEY

photo and video editing and then general use. and may i ask why u say that?

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Graphics is the Mac's forte.They do make some of the best quality laptops/notebooks.For photo and video editing I would think the faster,higher capacity hard drives and faster,larger memory of a desktop would be a better choice than a notebook.Apple is suppose to be coming out with their newest version of OS X at the end of the month.Not that I think it's going to be a big improvement on the current version but if buying a new Mac I'd wait for the latest software to be included.

5. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

TONS more software for PC. And mom runs a graphics business. We have had nothing but problems with the 2 macs. a G3 and a G4 dual processor. Both have chewed up external hard drives in under 18 months requiring them to be replaced. They crash constantly even after total reinstalls ect...

6. M1KEY

M1KEY

any others wanna put in their two cents? i appreciate the advice so far and am lookin for the most advice i can

7. gamegod86

gamegod86 Male Lesbian

Been using a Mac (dual g4) occasionally to do some editing. Another guy uses it daily for the same thing.

Rock solid performance for the last coupla three years.

My next purchase will likely be a Mac.

Virtual PC solves all your compatibility problems.

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I know Hauptmann's had a bad time with his hard drives (which is unusual for any type of machine - HD's are amazingly reliable these days), but I've got two G4 desktops (one single proc, one dual), that have been running steadily for two and three years respectively, without any difficulties at all. Also two G4 laptops, a Dual G5 Xserve at the office, and a Mac Mini on my desk. For that matter, I've also got my 1993 Mac IIci, all on their original hard drives

All that in addition to a dozen or so Windows machines at my office.

The Macs are in general much better built, more reliable, and less hassle than the Windows machines. they're not quite 'trouble-free', but I spend a whole lot less time dealing with troubles on the Macs.

I think that the Mac's built-in software package, including iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, etc., is by far the best media sofware on the market right now, and it comes for free with the machine.

Microsoft Office for the Mac is also excellent - the Windows version is annoying as heck.

While it's true that there is more software for Windows, unless you've got special needs, that's mostly irrelevant. We use Windows machines at my wife's travel agency because the special booking software only runs on Windows and Internet Explorer.

Unfortunately, that's becoming a HUGE liability, as we spend an immense amount of time and energy trying to keep those machines free of spyware, malware, viruses, etc.

Anyhow, I'll tell you that I'm not a huge Mac fanatic, and I don't hate Windows. I use a Windows XP machine about 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, and it's fine. No major complaints, other than the amazing lengths you have to go to to keep 'em clean and safe.

When I buy a machine with my own money, though, it's a Mac. I highly recommend the Mac mini, espeically if you've got a decent screen, keyboard, mouse, etc. already. $500, and you'll be up and running on your Mac, and if you hate it, they're still hot enough you can probably sell it for $450.

The iMac and eMac are fine machines, and the screen on the iMac is beauuuutiful, but I personally don't like to have to replace the screen and CPU all at once. I wouldn't steer you away from either of those machines, just make sure that you're cool with giving up the entire unit at once.

Good luck!

9. Weaps

Weaps Drives A Jeep

In feb. we got our tax refund I decided almost kind of on a whim that I wanted a Mac Mini. My then current computer, which is a PIII 1.0Ghz w/512Meg of RAM running Red Hat Linux was starting to get a little long in the tooth and was in need of an upgrade anyway. I thought rather than upgrade that I'd just dive into getting a Mac for a whole new computing experience. I had kind of always wanted a Mac, but they were always way more expensive than anything Intel I could cobble together from parts. With the introduction of the Mac Mini this was no longer the case. Besides, I'm primarily a Unix/Linux kind of guy (at work I run a Linux machine as my primary work station with a Windows XP laptop only as backup or for working remote) and Mac OS X is essentially UNIX with a really slick UI, or more accurately it's NeXTStep modernized, improved, and wedded well to the Mac Way of doing things. I had played with NeXT machines back in the late '80s and they were really cool. Always wanted one. Now I could have one.

So I headed down to the Apple store, grabbed a salesman, pointed at a box with Mac Mini and said "I'll take one of those please." I already had keyboard, monitor, and mouse and thus purchased a bone stock 1.25Ghz Mini with the 256Meg of RAM. I knew that I would need to upgrade it later, but thought I'd see how it was with the stock memory. It was fine unless you started to launch a bunch of apps, but after upgrading to 512Meg it's quite adequate. Anyway, I'll make the long story short with some observations but to summarize - I love my Mac Mini. I think my wife loves my Mac Mini and she hasn't even touched it. All future personal computers purchased by me will be a Mac. Oh I still use Wintel/Linux at work, but for my own personal box, they will be Macs. I think I just got tired of having to tweak my own computers and get something that 'just works.' Okay some points about my Macsperience:

* Setup/registration/networking was flawless, and within minutes I was online and working with the Finder on the Net. It saw my router, requested an IP and just worked.

* Machine is absolutely silent. This is such a nice, and overlooked, aspect of this switch; you can't appreciate how noisy some wintel desktops can be until you experience Silent Computing. Occasionally I have to turn on my old Linux box to get some files off of it and am still amazed at how loud it is. I keep that box turned off the majority of the time.

* Transferring my files over from the Linux box was simple and hassle free. Needed a little help to figure out how to do certain network things but once I got it there was smooth sailing on the file transfer.

* Doing things on MacOS X is somewhat similar to how you do things on Windows, but there are subtle differences. I won't enumerate them, but it's almost as if you have to "think stupid" when it comes to the Mac. Not that the users are stupid, but rather that so much has been designed into the UI to be blatantly obvious to do, that years of Windows conditioning have made me overthink how to do something. With a Mac you get a lot of "you mean that's all you have to do?" type moments, for stuff like drag 'n drop and such.

* I have not yet found anything that I cannot use my Mac for that I could with a Windows/Linux box. Well, okay my old Palm Pilot wouldn't work with it since it's serial and there is no serial port on the Mini. A serial/USB adapter I bought didn't have drivers for MacOS X and the OS 9 drivers didn't work even in the 'Classic' environment so I had to upgrade my Palm, but it was time for that anyway. There is a very good chance that a new PC would not have a serial port either. Otherwise I'm able to do all the stuff on the Mac that I need. I use it for web, email, chat, scanning/digitizing documents, editing digital photos, managing digital music, burning CD's for backups or transport of, say, photos and probably a bunch of other things that I don't remember off the top of my head.

* It's the little things that make using a Mac that much better. Stuff like little animations in the Dock, windows that fade out transparently depending on app, how the fonts look and that kind of stuff. Tiny, but they add up. Also there are the bigger things, like Expose, which with a keystroke allows me to get a big picture of what I'm running or clear things out of the way to access the desktop. Another big thing is relative immunity to viruses/worms/trojans which is a great piece of mind factor. I enjoyed this same immunity with my Linux boxes, but with a Mac I don't have to fiddle with it and the UI is way nicer.

* True, there aren't as many games, but there are a few and I don't really play games with my computer. I bought Unreal Tournament 2004 for the Mac for when I DO want to get to some mindless killing to blow off steam so there is a game. Lots of card and board games too...I'll get a PS/2 for the hardcore video games should I care about it.

Okay so this was pretty long, but there is a lot to switching. Yes, I had to purchase some new software, such as Photoshop Elements. If my wife got a Mac she'd have to re-purchase Dreamweaver, which is kind of a pricey pain, but I think in the long run it would be worth it. Everything else either comes with it, or is available from the Open Source community. Note that I would not have done this or have been as happy a few years ago with OS 9 or early versions of MacOS X, but now Apple has really done it right. I'll never be a zealot but overall I find now that I really really like Macs. YMMV.

10. Deanster

Purely for the sake of balance, I'll mention that the last few rounds of tower-style Macs aren't so silent.

The iMac and eMac are very quiet, the Mini is almost always silent, and occasionally goes up to very quiet, but the last round of dual-proc G4's, and to a lesser extent most of the G5 tower machines are noisy - they generate a LOT of heat, and have several loud fans in the case.

One notable exception is the current dual 2.5Ghz G5, which runs hot enough that it requires a liquid cooling system - dead silent.

Anyway, while for many years one could accuse Wintel machines of being loud, and depend on Macs to be quiet, it's not quite fair any longer.

All that said, my mini is the quietest computer I've had since a 1991 Mac LC which had so little power it didn't need a fan. The Mini is quieter than my Powerbook, and MUCH quieter than my wife's Dell laptop.

11. Donner

Donner

I was PC all the way until i got to college and my roommate talked me into getting an ibook (he had a g4 dual). That was four years ago and i haven't looked back.

First, the mac operating system is amazing. You wont realize how great it is until you try using a PC again and have to constantly wait for it to load and then restart it when it crashes, yet again.

I liked my ibook so much that i took advantage of a great special and bought a second laptop, this time a powerbook. The journalism school at Missouri is going to start requiring all incoming students to own wireless laptops and they cut a deal with apple to get us a good rate.

I could go on and on, but i'll just say apple, with some exceptions, just work. The only problem i had with either computer was my new battery went bad and stopped working. I called apple and they had one here the next day.

Anyway, that is my experience with apple. For what it's worth.

12. NGWT

NGWT

The MiniMe's are cool, but slow.

I've never had a Wintel box crash - unless it was due to something I installed (hardware) or bad out of the box (Soyo mobo).

13. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

I have a PowerBook G4 with a 17 inch screen (1.5 GHz, 80GB hard drive, and 128 MB ATI 9700 video card).

I love this computer. Everybody who tries it loves it too. I've caused my family to switch as well.

There is absolutely nothing I miss about PC's. IMO, Mac does everything better. The games I play (like Unreal Tournament) have Mac versions, and Microsoft Word for Mac seems to be better than regular Word for Windows. Also, IMO, OS X puts Windows to shame.

Just my experience and my opinions.

(BTW, I use my PowerBook for websurfing, homework/reports, music (iPod), photos (with a little photo editing), a few games, burning my own slideshows and DVD's, etc.)

14. spober

spober

my mom,a retired IBMer still calls PCs "clones" or more correctly IBM clones.

15. RockinAR

RockinAR

I just switched from a PC to a iMac a few weeks ago. The only complaint I have to far is the price. I could of bought two smoking fast P4 PCs for this price. No matter if you buy Mac or PC, the thing will be outdated in year or so anyways. So why buy the really expensive one?

16. 9mm4dfnz

9mm4dfnz

I've used both, and I can say the Mac, while more expensive, is hands down the more trouble free machine.

We had a PC in the office where I used to wrk, and after using the Mac OS, Windows is clunky and inelegant. That "switched" me!

As for tons more software, I run Office, Internet Explorer, pretty much any software I need has a Mac version, and the Mac versions of Office are so much better than the WIndows versions! We have run an all Mac office, and in the last three years we have not had ONE freeze or crash.

The mac is pratically immune to all of the malware/virus/spyware problems the Windows machines suffer from.

The reason to buy a Mac is that you will spend more time using the mac than fixing it.

17. Deanster

Or one really excellent computer with a very nice LCD screen...

Oh wait! That's exactly what you bought!

18. dport

dport

Totally off topic:
    The J-School at MU huh? My wife worked there while I went to school across town. Have one at the 'berg for me.;)

19. LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski Urban Achiever!

Get a Mac. The time you save NOT fussing with it vs a PC is worth it. I'm a Director of IT for a dotcom and the Macs I issue run themselves as does mine. Any specific questions, just ask.

20. gunsite

gunsite CLM

i was a windows user for 15 years, i just purchase a apple 17 inch powerbook about a month ago. i'm ready to throw my desktops in the garbage, they are only 2 years old and somewhat top of the line for a purchase at the time. a mac is like going from no power sterring car(windows} to a power sterring car(mac). you don't have to worry about viruses, there .mac email has virus protection built in. there operating system was develope what thought of the user in mind. no spyware,no pop up add software, everything is built in. i will never go back to a windows unit. buy a mac....you'll never go back...