close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mac - Anyone upgrate Mac OS 9.x to 10?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jack Straight, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Jack Straight

Jack Straight

I'm in the process of updating my 2001-vintage iMac (slot loading) from 9.2.2 to 10.3 Panther.

I updated the firmware, upgrade to 9.2.2, did backup, de-frag the disk.

Next step is to do the actual upgrade.

BUT: One document said that if the disk partiion is over 8GB, you have to partition the disk. Sounds like OS X nees a root partition (/de/dsk/c0t0d0s0 on Unix) that is < 8GB. Is this true?

This would be bad as I would then have to re-install the Mac OS 9 apps that I still need.

It would seem like lots of folks would have gone through this, as most iMacs came from the factory with OS 9.x in one partition.

Or am I mis-reading something?
    thanks

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

dude, you got me

I went from 9 to 10 with the new laptop but I know the upgrade is very common and takes a TON of memory. I'd suggest going to the MacAddict discussion board and presenting your fine question as the happy folks there will quickly get you squared away.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You mean there's no way you can slap another hard drive in there, set up the proper partitions and install Panther, then use the current drive as a slave?! That would be utter BS, if that was the case.

MacOSes, esp. 10.1 & 10.2, but Panther as well are quite limited in power, compared to XP or even most Linux distros, true, but I sure hope it isn't that bad hardware-wise....seems there ought to be a way. You would have your pick of several options with a PC.

Could you use an external DVD burner to 'ghost' an image of your HDD onto a disk, then return that data to the HDD after the partitions were made?

Good luck....

FastVFR

4. Jack Straight

Jack Straight

fastvf, I don't have a tower, but an all-in-one iMac (looks like today's eMac). I can't add another drive, and I don't have one. I might be able to do various transfers if i had a firewire external drive, but i don't.

The documentation says that you can have two system folders, for running apps in classic mode under OS X (kind of like running a DOS app under Windows), but first i have to get it all installed.

Flipper:
    I've registered at Mac Addict and am asking there.

thanks!

5. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

as a mac user i'd like to speak for the rest of us and ask: "JUST what in the hell are you talking about??"

We happy Mac folks buy computers and turn them off and or for a few years and then just by another. They are more like pets actually. Never do we open them up or try to 'improve' the hardware. They updats themselves software wise and work flawlessly until you feel the need for the next one.

6. aslag

aslag

Another place to ask Mac questions and get quick replies is DealMac Forums Personally unless I was running a G4 or faster I would stay with O/S 9.2.