close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mac-10?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by american lockpicker, Mar 23, 2010.

1. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I'm thinking of getting a Mac-10 is $400 new with case and 30 rd mag. Whats its range and is .45 ACP ammo expensive?

2. Navitimer

Navitimer

Sounds like you need to do some research. What brand is the MAC? Masterpiece Arms makes some great semi-auto models right now. Not only are 45 ACP and 9mm available, but so is the 460 Rowland which is an absolute beast. That price sounds a bit high for a semi version. Checkout some other places on the net and you'll see what I mean. Best price on ammo is typically from the web as well. Hope this helps -

3. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Research...:shocked: oh noes...

4. hogarth

hogarth

Why? I never saw the point of the MAC, unless full-auto and used to shoot someone who's with you in a phone booth.

5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Actually John Ingram designed it for distances like "The end of a bed" or "Across an elevator"

I have used them in full auto out to 50 meters but that is pushing it. If you are looking at a semi-auto you would be better off with a Glock.

6. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Yes its an MPA.

I want one for plinking.

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have one of the Cobrays and they are tons of fun to shoot. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot. The 400 is about right at what they sell for.

8. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

That's the kind of gun that everyone wants to touch and shoot once. Then it's not there anymore. In all practicality it's a huge pistol that doesn't shoot well. As already mentioned; the average person will do much better with a Glock 21 (or whatever Glock or quality arms maker you like) than a MAC-10.

Not a practical gun in my opinion.

Range: short range designed more for the spray and pray you hit something. MAC's have crude non-adjustable sights. Someone well practiced with a handgun and good sights can extend the range out to 100 yards. The 45 ACP bullet starts running out of steam and drop out there. If you want more range think about a 44 Rem Mag revolver.

9. repoman1984

repoman1984 under the pully

Neat gun, definitely WAY up on there on the "cool" factor would make a few people at the range turn their heads. I always loved the design of the original open bolt just a ridiculously simple design. If you lived in the right state it would make an excellent SBR/supressed carbine.

10. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

Seems like I remember about a year or so ago, CDNN selling those in their newspaper ads for about $259 in 9mm and $299 or so for .45.

11. silentpoet

silentpoet

It probably would piss off the liberals, but the tech9 has the shoulder thing that goes up.

12. TacticalBling

TacticalBling

If you do pick it up I hope you have fun with it.
    .45's the original caliber, of course, but 9mm would be cheaper.

Personally, I'd pass on one unless it were Class III (and I could afford it!)

13. Line Rider

Line Rider

MAC 10 = .45 ACP bullet hose

14. bno762

bno762

Not all guns have to be practical or fill a SD roll. M10's fill the fun to chunk lead down range niche. OP- when you get yours post some pics! Like has been stated already 9mm would be cheaper to shoot. But I like 45acp and I would go that route. If you already have a 9mm maybe give those a look.

15. 1gewehr

1gewehr

As a PDW subgun, the MAC-10 is not a bad weapon. I can hit silhouettes all day at 100 yards with mine. But that's with an aftermarket folding stock and a lot of practice.

As a semi-only pistol, it would be a fun toy for a while. But you will quickly tire of the poor trigger, heavy weight, and low accuracy. You need a stock to hit anything past 30 yards.

And .45acp is usually pretty expensive. Even the Wolf will run you $18 for 50rds. The benefit is that you CAN use the cheapest ammo you can find without any worries.

16. blueiron

blueiron

Do your research before committing.

Some Mac10s were decently made and have more value. Some manufacturers put out pure junk.

17. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Believe it or not, there is a 5" barrel on those macs,most of it is inside the upper receiver.

I could write pages of data on the MAC pistols from the beginning pistols to pesent day and their shortcomings.To make a long story short,The original design was sold to another co which went out of business and those parts were sold when that co went.. and so on.Till today we see a gun with a original stamping on the lower receiver yet contains out of spec parts that break,made last week.MPA makes their own,they heat treat the parts and cnc them for a good fit.They also assemble them.Which makes them a better clone(clone is a copy.. right?)Mpa makes guns that do work.

If you have the money to plink with 45 acp,get one,otherwise 5 boxes a trip to plink is not going to last long.:tongueout:

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

In full auto, fun gun.

In semi-auto, you might as well buy a high point.

19. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I agree. For anything other than a novelty item, semi auto Mac 10s are useless bulky, inaccurate, POS's,

The full auto ones on the other hand are badass.