MA Out of State Class A LTC..

Discussion in 'New England Colonial Club' started by CRC, Feb 19, 2007.

1. CRC

CRC Sarah's Dad

Just wanted to update you guys on the turnaround time that I experienced with My MA Out of State LTC.

Mailed out on 1/11/07 and received the LTC on 2/16/07. This may not be a big deal to most people who don't know MA, but in my experience it is a pretty good turnaround time!

-Craig

2. Keef

Keef

how long are these good for?

3. # 1 Gunna

# 1 Gunna Plstc Pstl Pckr

I plan on filling mine out by the end of March, the latest. I wasn't going to "give in" to the ridiculous request to obtain a Mass LTC, but I'm ALWAYS in Plaistow/Hampton Beach and I can never cross the border. I hope my turn around time is half as good as yours. I was expecting 2-3 months.

4. lens

lens

1 year for non-residents (except active duty servicemen/women - those are good for 2 years). :sad:

5. MDogg

MDogg Guest

Craig,

Would you mind explaining the process? I always carry when my wife and I are on the Electra Glide, and our rides have taken us into Mass. on occasion. I hate to have to pull over, unload, lock it in a box and lock it in one of the saddlebags. It would be nice to be able to carry in Mass.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Edit - I just started looking online and it appears that is not an easy task!!

6. lens

lens

I'm not Craig, but the process for NRs is relatively straight-forward.

First you need to find a MSP-Certified trainer to give you the class and cert you'll need to get a MA LTC (true for residents and NR alike).

Next you'll need to call CHSB to get the forms sent to you.

See http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops (2nd question has the answer and phone number listed).

More info on our gun laws (just an overview):
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopstop...istration+&+Laws&L2=Firearms+Support+Services

7. MDogg

MDogg Guest

8. # 1 Gunna

Couple questions...
    I went to THIS SITE and printed out the application. Is this okay? It says to send it to my local PD after it is complete.

Also, it says you can provide a safety course certificate or a hunter's ed certificate. Is this info correct? I plan on sending my hunters ed certificate.

9. lens

lens

No, for reasons that fail me, the form for Non-Residents is NOT on the web. They mail it to you, probably along with a "blue card" for fingerprints . . . they will NOT accept the standard FBI print card (my PD used the "wrong card" for my Wife's prints and it bounced).

Training certificates: There is a special MSP-Certified Trainer Certificate that must be submitted, with the MSP-Certified Trainer's MSP-Trainer # on it, nothing else will be accepted.

Since you are in NH, there should be some MA Certified instructors up there. If you don't find any, check with Jim at Manchester Firing Line as I have a few friends from MA who do training up there.

10. MDogg

MDogg Guest

11. # 1 Gunna

Thanks, glad I asked after I filled out the whole form :thumbsup: ( :rant: )

12. lens

lens

Consider it good practice! ;)

Although I have not seen the NR form, I suspect most of the info is the same.

Just be damn sure that you fill out the "have you ever appeared in court before . . . " question HONESTLY! Many people tend to "forget" the arrest that happened xx years ago (MA goes back to the day you were born, sealed records are "unsealed", etc.), and it's considered perjury (some have been prosecuted) and automatic reason for DQ!

13. ssharland

ssharland Guest

Did you receive a 'permanent' or a temp. I received a temp non resident last Oct. It has an expiration of next Oct. but I have yet to see my permanent. Does it matter?

Thanks
    Steve

14. lens

lens

This state likes to confuse everything!!!! :headscratch:

For some dumb reason ALL NR permits are issued as "Temporary permits"! Guess it must be due to the 1 year term.