Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and began thinking about a Glock field knife for my admittedly sketchy bug-out bag. My threat assessment is virtually zero, so I don't see myself engaging in a knife fight. Hell, whatever I learned in the military 50+ years ago is a faded memory, so I'm not ever certain what good it would be to have a large fixed-blade knife nearby.

My 'bug-out bag' is an old Land's End attache case, currently equipped with a flashlight, a couple hi-cap mags for my G26.5 and a very deficient first aid kit (which needs upgrading).

I can't see myself facing a zombie apocalypse and foraging for food by hunting rabbits and squirrels at the age of (soon to be) 71 years of age. For some reason, I just feel an itch for a Glock knife. Actually, the bug-out bag is more for securing the spare mags and holsters for the Glock and my pair of j-frames when I get the oil changed or other maintenance done on my vehicle ... throw all incriminating stuff into the bag and sit in the waiting room reading a good book while the work is being done.

If I were to move ahead, does the root saw make any sense? Would I be better off simply moving my Victorinox locking pocket knife into the bag? I've dressed out deer from beginning to end with that knife, so it's proven its practicality in my recent past.

Talk me down. Please.

·
Registered
33,079 Posts
Hey, if you want one just because you want one? Your call. We have our various itches to scratch in that regard.

Now, if you're trying to justify because it's practical? Well, you can buy innumerable practical (and more practical) fixed blades for less money invested.

FWIW, a good SAK, backed up by a heavier duty lockblade folder, and maybe a short fixed blade (4-5") can make for a good combo that offers a lot of practicality.

Go with your whim, or just look at the practical side of things ... and do as you wish. ;)

Reactions: Jonny Yuma

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I like them. I have two, one stays out in my shed. Gets used and abused. Everything from cutting rope to opening landscape bags, to digging in the dirt. Whatever I need a blade for outside or in the shed.

I've left it out in the yard. Got a bit rusty. Just sanded the rust off, sharpened it, and good as new.

They are good tools. There are better knives out there, but the Glocks are relatively cheap, and can take a beating.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Go for it. A Glock knife isn't that expensive. Like you, I had a hankering for a fixed blade knife, but my desire was for a K-Bar. Also like you, I don't see myself being survivor man, but as it turns out, a K-Bar is pretty useful to have around.

Get the Glock knife you want. It's probably a more sturdy knife than the K-Bar and you may find it more useful than you thought.

Reactions: Adam4

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've got some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and began thinking about a Glock field knife for my admittedly sketchy bug-out bag. My threat assessment is virtually zero, so I don't see myself engaging in a knife fight. Hell, whatever I learned in the military 50+ years ago is a faded memory, so I'm not ever certain what good it would be to have a large fixed-blade knife nearby.

My 'bug-out bag' is an old Land's End attache case, currently equipped with a flashlight, a couple hi-cap mags for my G26.5 and a very deficient first aid kit (which needs upgrading).

I can't see myself facing a zombie apocalypse and foraging for food by hunting rabbits and squirrels at the age of (soon to be) 71 years of age. For some reason, I just feel an itch for a Glock knife. Actually, the bug-out bag is more for securing the spare mags and holsters for the Glock and my pair of j-frames when I get the oil changed or other maintenance done on my vehicle ... throw all incriminating stuff into the bag and sit in the waiting room reading a good book while the work is being done.

If I were to move ahead, does the root saw make any sense? Would I be better off simply moving my Victorinox locking pocket knife into the bag? I've dressed out deer from beginning to end with that knife, so it's proven its practicality in my recent past.

Talk me down. Please.
Not only do you need a Glock knife, you need all the colors, a 10” Bowie knife and at least a 12” Ghurka knife. KA-BAR makes one that looks amazing.

·
Registered
33,079 Posts
Go for it. A Glock knife isn't that expensive. Like you, I had a hankering for a fixed blade knife, but my desire was for a K-Bar. Also like you, I don't see myself being survivor man, but as it turns out, a K-Bar is pretty useful to have around.

Get the Glock knife you want. It's probably a more sturdy knife than the K-Bar and you may find it more useful than you thought.
As much as I appreciate a good Ka-Bar, they've started to price themselves a little on the high end for some of their line. At least the Glock knives are still relatively budget-priced (unless someone is looking for older versions as a collector, perhaps).

At HRC 55, which is somewhat soft, and made of Spring Steel, the Glock knife would seem to be a nice option for a budget knife/tool. If someone wants better steel, or a different heat treat, there are many other options, but the pricing can start to climb, even for the "budget" grade knives. Kind of like buying a budget priced machete or other inexpensive yard work tool. If used for outdoors (extended backpacking, or camping?), where rough use is expected, I'd make sure to carry a basic sharpening method. Something that could also be used to touch up a small hand ax, comes to that. :)

·
Registered
33,079 Posts
A nice Mora heavy duty Companion is more useful, for me, at least.
I picked up a green one w/stainless blade to add to the other working blades I keep in my veh, since it was on-sale and I didn't have one of those. Looking at the way they machined the thin edge, I'd not wish to use it in conditions where the thin edge could be damaged. I have fixed blades with "less delicate" edge profiles for such tasks, though. I think the Mora offers a nice short blade for things that require cutting tasks where a thinner edge profile is useful and appropriate. Easy cleaning and the stainless steel are attributes.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Besides the Mora, I have a German entrenching tool. Square blade profile which came with one side nicely sharpened. When drawn from the leather carrier, it rings like a sword, and makes short work of chopping and batoning.

·
Come on man!!
17,500 Posts
I have a Glock field knife I paid $20 bucks for back in the day when I thought I would have to use a bug-out bag in my fight to get back home to my family during the impending Al-Qaeda wars that were going to happen on our shores.

The knife never got used, ever, for anything, at all.

If you want it just because 'MERICA, then knock yourself out. If you think you're ever going to use it for getting home, save your money.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I earned 8 of them by being an RO several years ago but now they are not given as rewards for working. I gave 1 to each of my 5 kids who most likely don't know what they have.
They are nice to have around.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts