M65 field jacket for hunting in cold/wet weather. How good are they?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by alfred10, Jan 15, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

How good are the M65 field jackets that used to be USGI? Are they water proof? Do they have different series like they did with the cold weather and then the extreme cold weather feather bags? I am looking at one for hunting and camping out in cold areas. Do some have extras like a hood?

2. crash09

crash09

Speaking for myself: I hated them. They're cotton and cold as hell without the liner, bulky with it. Very little water protection, if any. yes, they do have a zip-out hood. You might be able to use one of those aftermarket waterproofing solutions that you put in the washing machine for some extra protection; however, with today's materials, there are much better choices out there IMHO.

For instance: I just bought a lightweight coat with fleece lining at Sam's for around $40. It's waterproof and comfortable in these sub 20 degree mornings we've had lately.

M-65 only had one style that I am aware of. (They come in different colors, but a true M-65 is bascially just a cotton jacket with a button in liner). There are other military jackets and coats that have been added to the inventory since I was on AD. Check Sportsmans Guide's surplus section. He usually has some good deals.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

3. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

Save yourself the money and buy the gortex rain jacket version / replacement of it instead. Like Crash09 said, they suck. Without the liner, you'll freeze. With the liner, its so bulky you can't move around. Samething with anything in the US military inventory calling itself a "glove".

4. crash09

crash09

Don't get me started on gloves. Those leather shells with the wool inserts were only slightly better than nothing at all in the hip-deep snow in Germany, but only slightly. I bought some nice black leather gloves in a store in town and only wore the GI issue during inspections.

Does that goretex coat have a nomenclature, or do you have a source? I had one during the T&E phase when they first came out, but had to give it back. I wouldn't mind having another one of those for outdoor wear.

5. stockshift

stockshift 2 wheels > 4

I have two M65s. I use them for working around the farm. They are not waterproof or very warm. But for $30 it was hard to beat.

For waterproof jackets, I'd go with a Gore-Tex parka of some sort, and buy a zip-in fleece liner/inner jacket. You can find a lot of good offerings in outdoor stores. Check out Campmor.com as they usually have good deals (check out their Hot Deals section) on discontinued styles/colors.

If you insist in milsurp, get one of the ECWCS jackets. At least they are water/wind proof.

6. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Go to Cabellas website and look around. They are having sales on winter items right now. They have lots of Gortex outer wear along with items using different water proof materials. I would not get a field jacket for your purposes. I would not get a GI gortex jacket or pants for that matter either unless it was dirt cheap. You will still need something under it to stay warm and then it gets bulky. There are better and cheaper non-military items out there.

7. raven11

raven11

i agree with the above, i had it for years till i ditched it for a gortex jacket, 100% better

8. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

I was stationed in w. germany too. On top of the black utility gloves, we were also issued those worthless trigger finger mittens.

As for the gortex rain coat, I was never issued one. They came out right before I got out. I bought my own but gave it away to my brother years ago.

9. alfred10

alfred10

How many layers do they wear under the new gortex system. They are really thin but im not sure how many layers go. Who makes the heaviest wool (fast drying and keeps you dry when wet) under suit for under a gortex system?

10. Riflemanz

Riflemanz

11. crash09

crash09

Don't forget the Mickey Mouse boots! Man that stuff was such crap compared to what you can buy off the rack in any sporting goods store today!

12. crash09

crash09

You're makin me itch. :supergrin: Go with polar fleece. Even a cheap one is half the weight and all the warmth.

13. CBennett

CBennett

most of the older military stuff was total crap...all the stuff I wore was JUNK and didnt really keep you warm. Just garbage...I hope the guys get better stuff now days.

14. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

lol, yeah I remember the heavy canvas 'shelter halfs' we had to lug around and never got to use. Same with those "mess kits"... never used them since we had MREs. We were also issued the winter parkas but in my 2 years there, that was never in our uniform for the day and I have never seen anyone wear one.

Its interesting to see all the gear our troops are being issued nowdays :wow:
    It sure beats that WW2 crap we were issued back in the late 1980s

The polypropaline underwear stuff was the only thing I actually liked

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  15. capecodcowboy

capecodcowboy

150-gram to 200 gram Thinsulate insulation keeps you warm and toasty. 100% waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX Performance Shell fabric is warm, quiet and durable. The M-65 Field jacket is NONE of these things. Wore the OD version (issued) for many years and it is: cold, retains moisture, you needed a poncho liner over it to be semi water-proof. Modern gear is SO much better. Remember GI Issue is made by the lowest bidder and this is why our Young Warriors replace all the gear they can with non issue upgrades. Just my .02

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There are two types that wear M65 field jackets. The military type because that's what they were issued with and had to wear as part of their winter uniform. the other type is the Rambo wannabe type.

If cost is an issue then there are plenty of cheap work jackets that work a lot better than that piece of crap of an M65.

I wore the nylon GI rain jacket with the field jacket liner underneath for warmth and water resistance. Obviously this was before Gore-Tex, microfiber, polypropylene, Cool-Max stuff.

17. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I wore mine for years as a work coat after I got out (I was issued an MA1 flight jacket for duty wear, I never wore my M65 on duty after tech school). Then I bought a cheap Walmart "bomber jacket" made by McGreggor or something and realized how much lighter and warmer it was and gave the M65 to my kid to wear to school. They have one advantage though, they are durable.

18. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Lots of great info at this link.

19. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

NOT WORTH A CRAP! Buy a real coat.....

20. RaiderCop

RaiderCop NRA Life Member

Like many of the other old timers here, I wore a M65 because I had to. The fishtail parka was slightly better during the German winters. Neither was great for rainy conditions and only got soaked in a good downpour. Those nasty rubber rain jackets were like wearing a sauna. Come to think of it I’ve never worn a field jacket or anything camo since I got out of the Army.