Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Banned
16,041 Posts
Colt is always a good choice for a AR however I would likely forgo the colt expanse model.
As to sighting geared to home defense I would look at a quality red dot sight over a add on carry handle,irons.
If you wanted to on a flat top rifle you could add a MBUS rear to the red dot and you would have the choice of irons with the benefits of the red dot especially in a darkened home type situations. SJ 40

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
It sounds as though you may not be very familiar with AR' s. Perhaps firearms in general.

Advise

1. What you are currently doing is the correct first step. Ask questions. Read up. But be aware - your question is akin to asking: "I'm thinking about buying a car for driving to work and I hear this one is the best. Should I buy it"
2. If you have any opportunity, go try one out. There are a number of price levels and options (like automobiles) that may interest you.
3. Colt AR' s are a quality weapon. There are also other choices.
4. Be advised that a lot of the "quality aspects" and subsequent debate regarding AR' s revolves around conformance to military specifications (i.e. MIL SPEC). Quite frankly, sometimes this is important, sometimes it is not.
5. Flat top AR' s allow for bolt on scopes. I do know some people who have no interest in scopes and prefer the plain carry handle version for simplicity.

I hope this is helpful.
Good luck on your choice and learn your rifle.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It sounds as though you may not be very familiar with AR' s. Perhaps firearms in general.

Advise

1. What you are currently doing is the correct first step. Ask questions. Read up. But be aware - your question is akin to asking: "I'm thinking about buying a car for driving to work and I hear this one is the best. Should I buy it"
2. If you have any opportunity, go try one out. There are a number of price levels and options (like automobiles) that may interest you.
3. Colt AR' s are a quality weapon. There are also other choices.
4. Be advised that a lot of the "quality aspects" and subsequent debate regarding AR' s revolves around conformance to military specifications (i.e. MIL SPEC). Quite frankly, sometimes this is important, sometimes it is not.
5. Flat top AR' s allow for bolt on scopes. I do know some people who have no interest in scopes and prefer the plain carry handle version for simplicity.

I hope this is helpful.
Good luck on your choice and learn your rifle.
Sound advice, keep digging. This is the kind of thread that will lead to great controversy. A lot of people will question the use of an AR for home defense. Personally, I own an AR, a 12-guage pump shotgun, and several handguns. Home defense is probably going to be short range. For me, that's a handgun. Much more maneuverable. At the same time, I can shoot. Hand guns, especially for a novice, may not be as accurate as a long gun.

Nothing wrong with the Colt. You can spend a lot more for a "better" gun that won't make a difference in the real world.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Colt is far from being the best, but it will do.

The carrying handle doesn't do squat. Too small of a cut out to stick your fingers through to use it like a carrying handle.
I was wondering that I think the older M16's might of had a bigger finger hole because it was molded into the upper part. I shoot my Glock with open sights so I'm kind of leaning towards some kind of open sights because I know my Glock sits for long periods neglected and a red dot might have dead batteries when I need it most.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there's better options
Red dot being one of them.
Also I'd never buy a carbine gassed 16" these days.
AR's have evolved a bit since that was the standard
"Gassed 16"? I think you're talking about the fact that it doesn't have a piston like the Sig folding stock rifle? If so would shorter or longer than 16 be better if I were to get "gassed"? I think I read somewhere that the military ditched the piston system in recent tests because of added weight and performance not sure though.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I was wondering that I think the older M16's might of had a bigger finger hole because it was molded into the upper part. I shoot my Glock with open sights so I'm kind of leaning towards some kind of open sights because I know my Glock sits for long periods neglected and a red dot might have dead batteries when I need it most.
You can have open sights without resorting to the carrying handle.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Refers to where the gas port is located.
I'm there is pistol, carbine, mid, intermediate, rifle and extended rifle.

For 16" barrel carbine was the standard, now mid gas is available and a better option.
It's not a huge difference but it is a step in the right direction.

I have no want or need of piston setups.
What does the current issue M4 use? I know it's 14.5" instead of 16, but just curious.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What does the current issue M4 use? I know it's 14.5" instead of 16, but just curious.
The M4 uses a carbine length gas system.

"Gassed 16"? I think you're talking about the fact that it doesn't have a piston like the Sig folding stock rifle? If so would shorter or longer than 16 be better if I were to get "gassed"? I think I read somewhere that the military ditched the piston system in recent tests because of added weight and performance not sure though.
He probably means he'd do a mid length gas system.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quality optics won't let you down. Cheapo optics will. The battery degradation on quality optics is nearly non-existent. The only cheap red dot I'd recommend (assuming you periodically check on it) is the newer Primary Arms advance micro red dot with 50k hour battery life. Otherwise, pony up and get an Aimpoint. Eotech's are decent too. I actually prefer the Eotech on my HD AR (I do not care about the recent "issues" discovered, nor do they apply to my model anyways). It does auto-off after 8 hours, and has "only" a 600h life on the battery. But cr123's are cheap, already in ALL my flashlights (so I stock them) and I'm competent enough to change them as needed.. I'm also competent enough to push a button under duress in the dark. Personally, I find it amusing when people knock optics that need to be turned on, pretending that the human body has a hard time using a finger to push a button in a scary, high stress situation. Plus the Eotech's window can be a makeshift rear sight, if the optic dies, or shuts off or whatever. SupersetCA on youtube demos this in a video he published a while back. I take a few shots this way every range trip at around 25y, just for some practice just in case. Or just flip up your rear back up iron, that's what it's there for.

Anyways, I like Aimpoint too. I'm not terribly fond of the simple red dot reticle (astigmatism), but their reliability, and battery life constant-on can't be argued with. I have a H2 on my AK. Sounds like an Aimpoint might be right for you. T/H-2's are a great choice.

·
Registered
594 Posts

I've been thinking that maybe I should get a gun just like this for home defense. I hear they are the best and I want the best when it comes to protecting my family. Is this Colt the one to buy? Is the carry handle a good idea? Any thoughts?
There's no "best" gun for HD per se. The best HD gun is the one that YOU are the most comfortable and effective with.

Anyways, I'd recommend BCM or Spikes Tactical. I built AR's from both of those companies (as well as Stag, and Midwest Industries), and their part quality is top notch. I don't personally own any "brand name" AR's, like m&p15, colt, bushmaster, etc, but a lot of my friends do, and there's just something about them, occasional random stoppage, some aren't "mil spec", some have lower tier fit and finish.. IMO, spending a little more, and build, or buy from a company(s) that actually focus on quality, rather than quantity, is worth it. It's also worth it to invest in tools and training to learn how to build your own - even your for your first, and even if you aren't very mechanically savvy (you'll learn).

1 - 20 of 320 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.