M1A Socom optics. How Much Muzzle Flash? 25 Round mags?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by alfred10, Jan 30, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

I like the Socom M1A WITHOUT the rail. Which optics will work? Seems like an ACOG would be best but unsure of eyerelief. Second choice would be an EOTECH.
    How much muzzle flash does this have when compared to an AK or 12 guage shotgun with buckshot inside a dark room? Might use for home defense in a rural area. I know the penetration concerns but I dont plan on spray and pray. It seems like this would be a one shot drop weapon.

How can I mount a light without getting the socom II?

How much recoil does this have when compared to the full size FAL?
    How far can you shoot this with iron sites?
    Also looking for a quick detach optics mount.
    How good are the 25 round mags? How long can I keep them loaded before ammo like Federal Gold Metal Match looses accuracy? What grain functions best?

2. Wyoming

Wyoming

Tagged for more info.

Alfred I can answer some of your questions.

How much muzzle flash in a dark room? I wouldn't want to shoot mine in any room without hearing protections! My SOCOM is in the safe but my 12 gauge pump is not.

I'm not bothered by recoil so with that in mind a gas operated 308 is easy for me to shoot. I have two more M1A's, three FALs and Three AR10's style rifles and all seem the same to me. FWIW, my brother is not a shooter and had no trouble shooting it but does notice the recoil of a 12 pump.

Our range has a steel plate at 643 yards and the SOCOM can hit that with ball ammo.

I use 20 round mags and actually prefer them even with AR 15's and AK47's. 20 aimed shots from a semi auto should handle most civilians problems. If a 30 round magazine would make a difference over a 20 between reloads then your are legend in the making. 20 round magizines are easier to shoot over a rest, from the ground and over the hood of a vehicle. 30's are great for full auto. I never had problems using 20 round mags with my Mini 14's. I think that a lot of the internet complaints about bad after market mags for the Mini 14's had to do with everyone buting 30 round mags (now factory 20 round mags are available to the public).

How long you keep a magazine loaded has nothing to do with accuracy of your ammo. Ammo loaded 20 years in a magazine would have the same accuracy as ammo loaded in a box does as long as it is the same lot and both were stored in the same way.

What grain functions the best? Stay with millitary standard weight, 150, 168 and 173 and you should not have any problems. You are using a semi auto so your ammo needs to be loaded with medium burn rate powders. If you reload you will need to use the same. Don't try to reinvent the wheel because use found a good deal on slow burning powders. With factory loads you will need to stay away from light weight, heavy weight and special performance "light magun" loads. That still leaves you a lot of choices 308 Win/7.62 NATO ammo.

Things that I learned so far is that I haven't found a forward mounted red dot sight that I liked on the SOCOM that out performs the factory night sight.

Has any one tried a Scout Scope (about 2X-3X power) and how did it work for them? A rear mounted scope on a M1A needs a cheek rest added so your eye lines up with the scope.

The M1A SOCOM is a short handy carbine that will fit inside a millitary M1 Carbine case but has way more power!

I prefer my Rock River LAR-8 Carbine over my M1A SOCOM because I shoot it better. Being left handed, both are ambidextrious, have good triggers and are compact but the AR was easier to scope.

I hope I was helpful for you,
    Wyoming

3. alfred10

alfred10

What ammo feeds best in these M1A's? Im not sure if the gold metal and other match ammo was designed for a bolt action. Will a SOCOM out shoot an M16 at long range? So its able to shoot a plate past 600 yards with open sites?

Is recoil less with the socom than with a 12 guage 00 3 inch magnum shell? How about muzzle blast? Maybe the rail system model would be easier to mount a scope. It seems like an ACOG or eotech would be sweet on this...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. Wyoming

Wyoming

What ammo feeds the best? Several years ago I bought surplus 7.62mm from many places. Some as low a 10 cents a round delivered. The SOCOM and National Match never failed. Many year before I bought all that ammo (NATO countries surplused their ammo when they adopted 5.56mm) my Polytech M14 had a complete case sepration back when Paragon was popular in Shotgun New (before the internet!) They would polish their ammo so it would look better. That covered corrosion then the buyer couldn't see. The whole front end the the case went down the barrel. The Polytech M14 did just fine, that is why I still own the rifle today. People on the internet with no actual experience will complain about Chinesse stuff but they copied our M14 real well! The first M1A I owned cost $250 back in the 70's. I sold that to buy something else. So one failure in 1000's of rounds not bad.

I have a case of Federal 168gr Match and a battle pack of M118 168gr "sniper" that I got late last summer and I'm trying out in various rifles. I will save the cases and reload to duplicate factory velocity and pressure curve. I didn't plan on using the match ammo in the SOCOM because I have better platforms. If the SHTF and I had my SOCOM I would feel comfortable with it. It is a very good rifle for self defense for outside. It can shoot through houses, cars and out reach AR15's, Mini 14s and AK47's. I know that that newer 5.56mm rifle round with fast twist barrels will out shoot the SOCOM on paper and that is why you see M16 Match rifle in competion. Big deal, paper isn't hard to shoot through.

Alfred where do you live, I been to 49 states (No Dak is the only one never been to) and a lot of the USA is urban and a 200 yard shot not likely.

A 600 yard shot with iron sights depends on your eyesight. The front sight covers the steel plate. You have to have prefect sight picture and pick your "pin hole" or click up and set your target on top of front sight. Oh and don't forget the wind.

I like the 3'' mag 12 gauge but realized for home not needed. I put a 3'' mag in the shotgun first. This makes it the last one fired in the magazine tube. If I ever was in a gun fight and lost count (you should keep loading it every time you have a chance) I would know it time to start shoving more rounds up the tube when I shot my last round because of the recoil.

You asked if the recoil of a SOCOM was less than a 12 gauge 3'' magnum. Yes as in HELL YES! It is more than my 338 mag or my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. It is easier for me to shoot a 50 BMG off a bench than a Mossberg 500 with 18'' barrel.

I'm confused about what rail system you are refering to. The SOCOM I have only has a forward mounted rail in the handguard. When I use a red dot it is so far forward that it is hard to see and I had to raise my head a little to see through it. If you use a over the ejection port rail that uses the M14 style rail it raises it up too high for me. Now you need a to change rifle stock or modify the one you have if some kind of cheek rest.

I have several Eotechs but no experience with ACOG. The M14/M1A is dated technology and does not scope as well as AR10's with built it rails. That is why I tagged your question on optics for SOCOM. I haven't found anything better than the iron night sights that it comes with. I know that there should be some better out there but haveen't found it yet.

I never even thought of putting a light on my SOCOM. I have one on my home 45 and one on my 590 Mossberg 12 gauge.

You have me wondering about night flash. I might just try it this week and get back to you. Anything you want me to compare it to?

Wyoming