M1A, Get one?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Mochahooligan, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

The title says it all. I have a nice bolt action in 308 and now I have been kicking the idea around of getting one. If any GT'ers have one please chime in and let me know your setup. I am a noob with long guns pistols no problem. Thanks guys!

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

My setup is pretty simple. I have a M1A Socom 16. The 16" barrel one without all the rails. I like it a lot probably my favorite rifle. I use it for 3-gun run and gun as a change of pace from the standard ARs. I run it 2-3 times a year at the monthly match ~100 rounds. I plan to also add a full size M1A and will probably put some good glass on that one and maybe a bipod.

I am a big Springfield Armory fan.

What do you want to do with it?

3. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

I am thinking bout just long range shooting. I have a Remington 308 for hunting, just I can get a real good deal on a loaded M1A and I am heavily thinking about it.

4. rem2429

rem2429

I have had buyer's remorse a time or two, but never over my M1A.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I bought an SAI M1A from a good friend that thought that he wanted an FAL.
    (He did not buy the FAL!)

This M1A started 'life' as a 'standard'. It's an early M1A and had all USGI parts except the receiver.
    It has been accurized about as far as it possibly can by a man named Charles Maloney.
    This rifle is a thing of beauty, from the Kreiger Hvy Match barrel, to the buttplate.

The only addition to this rifle that I've made is the Sadlak Industries (steel) scope mount, Leupold MKIV rings and a Nikon scope.

This rifle shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yards.

Easily my most favorite rifle.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

I don't really like M1As as they come from the factory. I made a ton of modifications to mine. They are good rifles. I recommend the 22" barrel.

7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

For long range shooting, your bolt gun will likely do better than your M1A. That said, I was shooting my M1A at 400 yards a few months back, and easily hitting a 12" square painted on some plywood just using iron sights. Mine is a stock Springfield Loaded. With handloads, I can hold 1.5 moa.

One consideration - you'll likely have one ammo your bolt gun likes, and another that runs your M1A well. This is why American Eagle has started making plinking ammo specifically for the M1A. Long story short, the slower burning powders manufacturers use to eek out more performance from the .308 round that works well for hunting or target shooting will batter your M1A. The gas system likes a faster burning powder. This means you won't be at full power in terms of speed, but the .308 has guts to spare, so no worries. My 168 grain Matchking load clocks a little over 2,500 fps.

As long as you understand the limitations of the gas system and don't beat the snot out of it with factory hunting ammo, you'll be fine. Every gun has it's limitations, the M1A is no exception. I do think it is one of the finest autoloading rifles to ever come from the age of walnut and steel. My advice is if you have an itch, scratch it.

[​IMG]

Here's where I was shooting...

[​IMG]

OK, now not zoomed in...

[​IMG]

8. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

9. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

I do want to buy one. Just have to wait it out. I will get a great deal on one just have to wait. I appreciate the responses. I am really jealous of where Zombie Steve gets to shoot! Daym too cool!