close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M1A experiences...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 82ndVet, Feb 19, 2010.

1. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Where would you rank the M1A, as far as accuracy, and being user friendly (shooting, take down, cleaning, ect)? What about ROI?...just in case it doesn't fit my expectations? I'm thinking about purchasing a standard model, and entering M1A competitions, where only open sights are used. So, any tips, and perhaps pics are welcome.

Thanks.

:patriot:

2. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

Accuracy is superb. Nearly as good as an AR in my experience. I have a Standard with a couple modifications and can easily hit the 325 yard man-size steel target at my range 75% of the time from prone with iron sights. I get 2" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo and iron sights.

Cleaning and take-down are very easy. Usually you don't even need to field strip it, because the action is so open.

If I wanted a straight-up U.S. military service rifle for target shooting I would definitely get an AR though. Much cheaper to shoot and own, easier to shoot, more accurate, etc.

3. M1a65

M1a65

Not sure what ROI is... The M1a is a fine shooting weapon, heavy and takes the recoil well. I shoot the NM version in compatition and it has been tuned. A very capeable gun but a tuned Remminton 700 bolt gun would be the way to go if you are looking for pure accuracey... The M1a is a heck of a fun gun to shoot, reliable as a Glock (oh, for shame!) and built like a tank. Other than match shooting I'd prefer the Socom (short) version as the standard M1a is a long rifle. The Socom would be a terribly handy truck/ranch/shtf weapon with a eotech optic mounted. If I ever come into some "expendable" cash thats what would burn a hole in my pocket... A FAL is quite useable too, I might just turn my G1 into the Congo version with a 16" barrel time and funds permitting. It makes a nice entry weapon, sized like a AK with 7.62 punch... Good luck!

4. 82ndVet

82ndVet

ROI = return of investment

Thank for the opinions. I've been looking at both, M1A and the Remington 700 VTR. I want both, but only one is in my reach at this point. Kinda want to do the competitions though, as I hear they are alot of fun. I think the NRA has a yearly M1A competition, open sights, up to 300yds...??

5. M1a65

M1a65

Yup but they're is an awefull lot more on Ga (seeing you live in Canton, I'm in Woodstock) Check out South River Bend Gun Club east side of town. They are a very nice bunch of folks. Also down in Ft Benning, they do matches several times a year and have a range of 1000 yds. I'm gettin old and the peeps aren't what they use to be. I can still hit a man size plate with iron sights at 500 yards but I'm not cuttin a clover leaf anymore if you know what I mean... The M1a or Rem 700 far exceed most shooters abilities, of the 2 the M1a is the more fun to shoot. I love the ca chung of a semi auto while shooting timed strings. You get into a nice rythem and become one with the weapon. Bolts are nice but too surgical for my tastes, the semi gets you into the match (my personal oppinion of course).

6. blhar15

blhar15

Out of all the 7.62mm rifles to own, I would get a M1A. They are a workhorse and very accurate, especially the national match ones.

7. failsafe

failsafe

Well, I used the M14 in Marine Boot Camp...At the Rifle Range, we had to qualify shooting target's at 200 meter's, 300 meter's and 500 meter's , using only the standard peep sight's....Very accurate even when shooting cheap Military ball ammo...
    Very easy to clean and maintain,,Altho the Gas operation can be a tad tedious...:cool:

8. 82ndVet

82ndVet

I know what you mean, and my thoughts are the same as yours. There's a big difference in measuring and ranging with scopes, versus open sights. The challenge of open sight shooting with the M1A is what is driving me to get one.

On that note, isn't there some kind of attachment you can get for the M1A, for mounting a scope? Can't remember what it was called, but I know I've seen them before. It looks like a 'C' shaped cup, 2 screws on the side, picatinny on top...? Anyways, do they make these this way, specifically for transitioning from scope to irons? I'm pretty sure you would have to re-zero when going from irons back to the scope...?:dunno:

I'm still trying to figure out all the options...:embarassed:

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

10. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Excuse my ignorance. I was on the SA website last night. Could you compare the Super Match M1A to the M21? Which would you rather own and why?

11. hoffy

hoffy

You will not be sorry. ROI is high, as everybody and their brother are turning out ARs now. Also, as stated above cleaning is much easier, though it is just a little tricky to get the bolt/op rod aligned during reassembly you pick it up quick, after all, guys field stripped this blindfolded. I have two, a standard, which is not so standard. It has a GI barrel, chrome lined, I don't know it they are available like that any more, and a NM front sight(narrower) and the trigger group on mine is marked NM and feels like it, though I have not weighed the pull. I don't know if it would pass muster in a service only match,but boy does it shoot. I have it for years and as yet had to clean the gas system. The manual says as long as the piston moves back and forth as the rifle is tilted with bolt locked open you are good. I bought a 2nd one(amazingly) a Scout, with I think an 18-20 inch barrel, and a muzzle brake instead of flash hider. It is not as short as a SOCOM. IMO I think that is just too short, and they did have a hard time regulating the gas system to work with the short barrel if I remember . I have a 2X Aimpoint on that, and it is in front of the action, so you can use stripper clips. For a standard M-1A expect to pay some dough on a good mount. The Smith is good , the Springfield Armory , not so good. I used to know but I think the Smith might be GI, but not sure. If you hand load, the gun is not hard to load for, just make sure your data is for auto loaders, and there is a ton of data for M-1As, I don't have to use a small base die in either of my guns. Avoid the Chinese ones like the plague, a friends went kaboom. I have shot Springfield and Fulton and liked them, Armscorp was hit or miss(I worked in a gun shop about 20 yers ago) Both mine are Springfield. If you are going to be shooting service only matches I think most Springfields come with an NM front sight, easy to swap, mine was not supposed to come with a NM trigger group bu did.:supergrin: I have two ARs also, a Colt H-Bar and a Bushmaster carbine, and I like them, but if I had to sell all they would go first. BTW be careful of mags, find out which are milspec, seen some ten dollar mags that cause 50$ in aggravation. Also I have a Buffer Technologies recoil buffer on each , they are cheap and cannot hurt.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  12. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Great Hoffy, thanks for all of that!

I did find one of the SA mounts on the website. Only one review, and the guy stated that they are prone to the screws breaking off...I think he said he broke two mounts. Anyways, so how does it fit together? Are these mounts able to be taken off while the scope is still mounted? If so, what's the procedure when mounting back up again...just re-zero or what? Do they fit right over the rear iron?

13. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

You know you want one.

[​IMG]

14. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Oh yes...that is a nice looking blaster/tack driver! :supergrin: :thumbsup:

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

That one is a SA Loaded Standard, and it will hold 1.5 - 2 MOA with my handloads. After trying to re-invent the wheel, I went back to the gold standard of M1A loads - 168 grain Sierra Matchking / IMR 4895 powder.

:thumbsup:

16. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Get the M1A!!!!

The return on investment is verrrrrrrrry good.

I got extremely lucky. A good friend was looking for a different rifle, and didn't shoot his M1A very much.
    He had done EVERYTHING possible to get this rifle where he wanted it.
    This guy had $4,800 invested in this M1A!!!!!
    I got it for $2,000.00!!!!!
    This rifle consistently shoots sub-MOA at 200 yards.

[​IMG]
    "Circle within a square" is 1" circle within 1" square.
    Handloads noted.

Scope mounts - This rifle used to have a SAI Gen 3 mount on it.
    After looking closely at the mount, it was getting battered.
    It now resides in a drawer, and a Sadlak Ind. steel mount has a place of residence on that M1A.

Magazines - CheckMate Industries mags.
    Get them from 44mag.com (See linky, at top of page!)

This rifle won't ever have to worry about finding a new home, again.
    This one will never be sold.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  17. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

:wow: That is good accuracy. I am happy to get 2 inch groups at 100 yards with my scoped Ruger .308. :faint:

BTW OP, Get a M1a. It is one of the best rifles ever made IMO.

18. rem2429

rem2429

My M1A is a Scout and is my favorite rifle.
    Look for a good deal and jump on it.

19. trover

trover CLM

I've got the Springfield Squad Scout, and it's my favorite rifle. Accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. I've got many rifles, but that's the rifle I enjoy most, much more so than my ARs.

20. mikeyU

mikeyU

If I had to choose between my Ar and M1A I would keep my M1A, I would like to buy another just so I could have one scoped and one not scoped.