M1 Garand Stock cleaning advice CMP

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by iowashooter, Feb 9, 2010.

1. iowashooter

iowashooter

Just received my M1 Garand from the CMP today, really happy with the rifle, however the stock is greasy/dirty, anyone know how to clean the stock without damaging it?

Thank you for your advice.

2. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool. Won't damage anything. Most likely you won't be able to get the oil and cosmoline out. Does the stock have any cartouches?

3. iowashooter

iowashooter

Thank you for the advice. Yes, two of them, I do not know anything about them though.

4. sarge83

sarge83

Start with that, use the denatured alcohol in a vented area. If you want to bring more of the cosmo out try a clothes steamer. I break the rifle down and hold the stock over a 5 gallon bucket and work a clothes steamer over the stock slowly in sections. Cosmo drips into the bucket and you wipe it clean and dry it.

There are several different ways of doing this. Go to the CMP forums and search it for threads.

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Agreed.

Sorry if I missed it, but, I didn't see what type of stock your M1 Garand is.
    Walnut?? Birch???

Before starting, if you want to preserve the cartouche(s), dab vaseline into the cartouche(s) to protect them.

You can hang the stock (sans metal) over a bucket, and spray it down with "Greased Lightning". Spray it liberally.
    Allow it to sit for a few minutes.
    With a SOFT bristle brush, spray the stock down, again with "Greased Lightning" and scrub the stock, lightly.

Allow to sit for a few more minutes.

Now, spray it down, one more time, and let it stand no more than 3 minutes, then, rinse thoroughly with the garden hose and a 'medium' spray.
    Rinse it again.
    (I use my laundry tub and a short hose, with HOT water.)
    Then, hang the stock in a warm (not hot) location and allow it to air dry.
    Let the stock hang dry for at least two days before continuing with the refinish.

Be forewarned, this will raise the grain of the stock.
    Do NOT use sandpaper and especially do NOT use a power sander on the stock.
    (I use a GRAY 'Scotchbrite' pad. The GREEN is more agressive than the GRAY.) All you want to do is knock down the 'fuzz' in the grain.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

http://www.northcapepubs.com/m1gar.htm#M1 Garand-Stock Marking Identification Guide

If you use steam don't go anywhere near the cartouches, the steam will raise them. To be honest if you want to keep the stock as a collector then you should buy a new one. There is another reason to buy a new stock, the longer the trigger group is compressed the more the wood is compressed. The fit of the trigger group in the stock is resposible for quite a bit of the M1s accuracy.

7. diamondmike

diamondmike

Dawn dish soap is great for removing grease from things but I never tried it on wood.

Maybe just put a little on a spot and see if it discolors the wood.

8. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I use rubbing alcohol and the rough-woven type of medical gauze bandage.

It cleans without raising the grain or the cartouches, and leaves a nice matte brown finish.

This technique is gentle, so it does take some time and patience to get a grease-soaked stock to the point where the gauze finally stays clean as you rub, though.

-ET

9. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

I have cleaned well over 100 USGI stocks (carbines, Garands, 1903's) using the Easy Off Oven Cleaner method. Will strip it down to the bare wood for effective refinishing, will not damage the markings or the stock if you know how to use this method. Once I get it stripped down I buff it with 0000 steel wool and then hand rub a 50/50 mix of boiled lindseed oil and mineral spirits.

Here's a few pictures of a recent M1 carbine from the CMP I refinished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

The problem with easy off is that it devalues the stock. The natural patina is gone using that method, and the wood is bleached.

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

Once you can get the stock pretty clean I have had good results with this product on my CMP stocks. Carbine and Garand.

http://www.fairtrimmers.com/

12. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Easy-Off is Sodium Hydroxide as the active ingredient, no? You'd want to neutralize the pH with a mild acid wash afterward, otherwise the alkalinity will remain and break down the wood cellulose over time.

That's why I prefer the rubbing alcohol and gauze technique. It is much less harsh, and does not strip the wood of all oil all at once.

It is very controllable. It restores and conserves, rather than refinishes.

-ET

13. paperairplane

paperairplane

This. Repeat as necessary. Then allow to dry for a few days and hand rub a coat or two of BLO. Use very little, rub in by hand.

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Yup you are 100% correct. In my mind I can't be sure if the acid would soak in deep enough to neutralize it all. That's why I have no issues using it on a beater stock, but not on one with cartouches.

The CMP sells stock sets, boyd's gunstocks has them, DGR guns has them, and dupage trading all have new stock sets. Not including reselllers like midway, brownells, and sportsmansguide. (Personally I prefer the CMP, Dupage, or DGR to a straight Boyd's, they can take a bit of work to fit properly).