Glock Talk banner

m1 carbine value 1943 inland?

11054 Views 42 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  PattonWasRight
anyone know what this m1 carbine might be worth? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=490603230

Thanks
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· M62/76
14,808 Posts
Not up on my Carbines like I used to be but it looks right (no lug, original sights). Stock looks correct but not sure if original? $2600 for a solid, high conditioned example seems to be the higher end of normal (sold a mint WW2 untouched Saginaw about 8-10 years ago for just under $3k) but remember, the Inlands are far more common than other mfg's.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It has a RIA EB stamp on the stock. From what I understand, that means it went through the arsenal refurbishing.

MIGHT have original barrel receiver etc.... but the guts inside my have been replaced if parts were worn out? I guess the only ORIGINALS are vet bring backs.....

· Registered
6,945 Posts
His description is carefully crafted. The stock is stamped with Rock Island Arsenal inspection stamp all right, but doesn't that look a bit too sharp for being 70 years old? A magazine wrapped in original paper, so your juices start thinking how new & original the rifle is, yet nothing said that the rifle is in original state. Typical refurb'd military surplus with some collector spin on it. It's not a collector rifle. Desirable yes, but he's asking a price corresponding to an original & correct rifle which it isn't.

Reactions: hogship

· Registered
6,945 Posts
Thanks. It has a RIA EB stamp on the stock. From what I understand, that means it went through the arsenal refurbishing.

MIGHT have original barrel receiver etc.... but the guts inside my have been replaced if parts were worn out? I guess the only ORIGINALS are vet bring backs.....
Rebuild stamps are stamped on the metal, not on a wood stock. The RIA stamp on the stock would be on the wood when the entire rifle was inspected and tested at the arsenal, when originally built. No way that stamp was made into the wood 70+ years ago, the stamp is a fake, and the poster does a good job of measuring his words to create the right picture for the uninformed to salivate over.

· M62/76
14,808 Posts
RIA would be Rock Island where the gun was likely inspected (at least the stock is from). Internal parts may have been swapped out but obviously no way to tell via GB- there are some real carbine heads out there that can tell you the twist if the screws between productions runs, the exact width if the pins, and the original inspector's shoe size...but I'd recommend tracking down a good reference book for starters.

· Registered
6,945 Posts
Reactions: GarnersGlock

· Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do know that you can get brand new wrapped USGI carbine mags like the one pictured. And they are expensive! This looks like a really nice clean, milsurp.. And I am specifically looking for one with type 1 barrel band and flip rear sight. Harder to find.

· Registered
6,945 Posts
PattonWasRight,

Thank you very much for the help.
You are quite welcome. You were smart to ask, and not get totalled by the emotion of the moment. I know M1 Garands pretty well, M1 Carbines less, but a fair amount. As you can see from those couple for sale on the CMP forum, you'd be ripped off to fall for that one on GunJoker. If you find something you like on the CMP forum, you can buy with a lot of confidence, we're a pretty small community there. Always buyer beware, but def not the gathering of crooks that Gun Broker can bring about.

If you register on the CMP forum and post a WTB for a WWII receiver, reconditioned Carbine for the low thousand price range, you'll get lots of guys motivated to take a look in their gun safes. The amount of rifles these guys collect of the same make is insane, well, let's be kind and just call it an addiction. Some are definitely out of control and if you share your motivation for wanting to own, if you or a family member served in the military, they may take a liking to you ... they're definitely wanting to find good homes for their stuff. Many are getting up there in years and need to start scaling back the collection. No one will be offended if you then post a link to the sale thread and ask for input on the rifles suitability, collectability, etc. If you were prepared to spend towards that amount on the GBroker rifle, you can really score something special from the collectors on the CMP. Good luck, enjoy the journey and don't rush it.

· Stop the steal!
21,056 Posts
I'd say PWR has got this seller nailed! It def looks like he's attempting to make this one look all original, which it isn't......and isn't worth nearly what he's asking.

Doesn't show if the bolt is flat, or round. (flat=orig, round=M2)
Doesn't show underside of the barrel, where import marks are usually located.
Does have original flip sights, and front barrel band.....(adds value).
Has low wall stock....not original to this M1 carbine.
Has original safety.
Can't tell if the mag catch is original or the modified version, but is not the M2 catch.
Appears to have original type operating rod.

Needs closer inspection.

From what I can see and tell, this carbine is more in the $1000 range.....much less, if it has an import mark. If it does, it's more like $700. Things that are a big plus, are original sights and barrel band, high wall stock, original mag catch and safety......generally, things that look original to it at first glance. If that one had ALL original parts, it would definitely be in the $2500 range.

I recently got one, a Quality Hardware w/original Buffalo Arms 10-43 barrel, refurbished at RIA. I paid $850. Looks as good as this one, but mine has updated mag catch, barrel band with bayonet lug, original type operating rod, round m2 bolt, high wall stock, better but not original adjustable sights. Not a purist collectible, but a very decent collectible.

I wanted the type III barrel band, because I wanted a bayonet to go with it. Correct Korean War bayonet in perfect un-issued condition, cost me $120, which is about the going rate for one in this condition. For me, it's strictly a shooter, with some collectability.......just a "nice to have" for my mediocre collection.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun

· Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys,

I'd like a carbine in "pretty good" shape with type 1 barrel band and original flip rear sight like they used in ww2. I'm having trouble finding one on gunbroker, armslist, gunsinternational, gunsamerica and cmp auctions.

If anyone knows of one for a fair price, let me know! Money is burning a hole in my pocket for an early looking carbine.

Only place I can seem to find what I might be looking for is gander mountain.com and cabelas.com in their gun library of expensive guns. They have "nra" excellent grade m1 carbines for $2k+ range... Don't know if cabelas or gandermountain is looking to rip someone off or not....

Thanks!

· Registered
6,945 Posts
I really think your best chance is to post a WTB in the forum I sent you a link to. Sell yourself, your motivation for owning and someone will pry one out of their safe for you.

· Registered
Match Director, Shootist, Instructor, Enthusiast.
21 Posts
I am NO EXPERT on M-1 Carbines however, I have kept an eye on them for about a dozen years now. Own an Inland & IBM myself. That type of asking price infers pedigree that any knowledgeable collector could rattle off in their sleep. Stock cartouche & barrel stamp to trigger housing milling stamp and mag release type "M" (or not). Were they all matching parts; if the serial number could be verified for date of manufacture; some information of the Life's trail for this Carbine. If these details were proudly displayed --yeah, that price would approach 'reasonableness'. As it is, methinks passing it by the better choice.

· Crusty Member
11,250 Posts
As mentioned, the experts are over on forums.thecmp.org. It's a nice looking carbine...at least the parts pictured. The trouble is, some critical details/images are left out. There's no way of knowing if it's an import or if it's one that's been "made correct" by mixing parts to return it to early as-issued configuration. It's a nice looking M1 stock, and I'm certainly no expert, but that armory stamp looks awfully crisp for a 72 year old stock that may have seen service in multiple wars. The early type barrel band may be desirable for collectors, but from what I've heard the latter type is better for shooting.

Flip rear sights are commonly fake (repro's). I don't know them well enough to guess if that one's legit.

Looks like a flat bolt, which again, would be correct for an early one...but is it original, or swapped in for correctness?

· Registered
1,747 Posts
As others said, run like hell from that one. No. Way to tell what's original and what's just a nice looking forced match.

Have hope though, I bought a matching Rock Ola like what you are looking for for $800 2 years ago at a gun show. The only thing with mine was it was marked Bavarian Forestry. Mine is all correct except for the stock, which was mismatched high wood.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.