GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Tnoutdoors9 did some long range M1 Carbine shooting...here he is at 300yds, and he hits a 12" plate...

·
Huge Member
11,179 Posts
I don’t agree. The used Auto Ordnance I bought is a great shooter.
The first longarm I bought when I was old enough was a commercial Carbine made by Plainfield. That company even made M2’s that were sold or provided to allies around the world. In fact, when I got knowledgeable enough, I figured out that my carbine was about 90% M2...It would have just needed the trip lever/selector switch/spring (drop in parts) to be a machine gun. That’s just how they made them.
That Plainfield was very reliable and accurate. Stupidly, I sold it in order to buy a Mini14 I just had to have. Imagine my surprise when I found my new Mini14 was less accurate at 50yds than my old Plainfield was at 100yds...by a large margin.
No, there is nothing “obsolete” about a 110gn bullet, properly constructed, moving at 2000fps , and coming out of a five pound carbine that points like a fine sporting arm.
Frankly, when the Plandemic started, and we had a violent widespread riot here, and I started to see the crazy look in some people’s eyes, it was my Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine in a tennis raquet case with a camera bag full of loaded mags that I tossed in my car.
I stand corrected. I forgot about the newer, very expensive commercial carbines such as the Auto Ordinance and others.

·
Huge Member
11,179 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I think they mean to say it´s too expensive to shoot regularly, which one probably should do (IMO) with any SD/HD weapon.
Since I brought it up I'll try to explain. I did mean they are too expensive for every day use. Back in the day I carried a pre 64 Winchester 94 in my truck. They became so valuable that I didn't want to subject it to the wear and tear of everyday use so I switched to a M1 Carbine (a Rockola) that I bought for $100. That became so valuable that I swapped it out for an SKS paratrooper when they were cheap...and I thought a better choice. Eventually I went to a Mossberg 500 then an AR15 carbine when they were relatively cheap $400-500. I currently run a cheaply built AR pistol.

I just couldn't stomach carrying a historically significant or increasingly more valuable/scarce collectable gun as for everyday carry/use. I have plenty of handguns, rifles and shotgun that could be used for self defense or EDC but I choose not to carry them because they are too valuable to expose to wear, tear, loss, damage etc.

Reactions: garya1961

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I agree, we have a German Luger & a historic FN Hi—Power(SN right after allies retook plant). I tell my son, if you want high volume range shooting, take this Beretta 92., there’s a Glock & H&K too.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I stand corrected. I forgot about the newer, very expensive commercial carbines such as the Auto Ordinance and others.
Well, the used AO I bought last year was advertised on Armslist, and was at a gun shop. It was on Armslist for a week, before I went to look at it. At the time, I was thinking about getting a Ruger 9mm carbine, so I had some cash put back. The Auto Ordnance was $475, and looked like new. Came with a GI 15rd mag, and a commercial 30rd. The Choate stock is OEM, and has the AO logo molded on it.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,341 Posts
I have 2 underwoods. . . 42' and a 44'

·
Huge Member
11,179 Posts
Well, the used AO I bought last year was advertised on Armslist, and was at a gun shop. It was on Armslist for a week, before I went to look at it. At the time, I was thinking about getting a Ruger 9mm carbine, so I had some cash put back. The Auto Ordnance was $475, and looked like new. Came with a GI 15rd mag, and a commercial 30rd. The Choate stock is OEM, and has the AO logo molded on it. View attachment 910159
Nice gun, great deal

·
Just lack finishing up
3,838 Posts
I love these carbines. Wish I owned one. ☹

·
Huge Member
11,179 Posts
As long as we're sharing...here's my M1 Carbine, Winchester made in Oct 44 on the bottom. Not original stock.

And a few other more traditional style carbines. Keltec SU16, unconverted Saiga 7.62x39, early Ruger Mini 30. Surprisingly the Saiga is the most accurate of the bunch.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
As long as we're sharing...here's my M1 Carbine, Winchester made in Oct 44 on the bottom. Not original stock.

And a few other more traditional style carbines. Keltec SU16, unconverted Saiga 7.62x39, early Ruger Mini 30. Surprisingly the Saiga is the most accurate of the bunch.
I’m not surprised your Saiga is accurate. Two years ago, a friend bought a new 5.56 Mini14, the current version. I took him to my rifle club, and brought along my Saiga 5.45. The Saiga blew the Mini14 away, at 100yds.
Still...this group from my Inland Carbine is better than both...15rds fired standing, offhand, at

100yds

41 - 51 of 51 Posts