GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Actually the NJ ban is not based on anything so rational (though an unconstitutional infringement) as easy convertibility.

There was a media fear campaign back in the late '80's-early '90's timeframe in NJ about how the M1 Carbine was a cheap gun that gangs were using, sort of the "saturday night special" of rifles. Antigun gov't there was ecstatic with the press and cheerfully banned it by name. IIRC there is no variant of the M1 Carbine that won't get jail time in NJ, which is why the people in the gun shop were so uptight - it would be like walking into an LGS and loudly asking where the (forbidden send you to jail right now) parts are.

I remember the NJ BS pretty well because the M1 Carbine was my trunk gun at one time, since it was legal pretty much anywhere you could have a firearm - until then. Really sucked, because with a 15 shot mag limit the Carbine is one of the better choices.

Grumpy
Geez, misplaced hysteria for sure :cautious:

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I have one really close to that serial #.and it's one of the good ones, mostly GI parts and before Universal "improved" on the design.
Thay are really fun for anyone to shoot, light weight and low recoil.
My National Postal Meter M1 Carbine is my 'go to' gun for long gun for the house. My wife can shoot it well (not much more difficult than my Ruger 10/22) and it does not have the blast the AR-15 has. Plus the sights are so low to the bore one does not have to hold off up or down to get an exact POI/POA in case I need a 'eye ball' shot at a bad guy holding someone hostage. And a 110 gr SP at 2000 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I’ve always liked the Carbine for a home defense weapon. When my CMP GI Inland began to really go up in value, I looked around for a Commercial Carbine for HD use.
Found this Auto Ordnance for a good price, and gave it a chance.
Turned out to shoot great. While I’m happy using any cheap old jacketed soft point
for self defense, I’m currently keeping some mags loaded with Hornady Critical Defense, which seems to shoot very well indeed.
Honestly, I prefer the M1 Carbine to the AR for most of my purposes.
I grabbed this screen shot of a GI laying down some rapid fire in a German town...it came from combat cameraman footage...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Partial update; I shot two mags, 10 rounds in 15 round capacity magazines. There were no stoppages of any kind, all empties went 4’ back near the 5 O’clock position. This isn’t an exhaustive test, just wanted a run before I shoot more with the son.

This was old surplus FMJ. I did partially disassemble, inspect, clean, & lube before shooting.

So far I don’t have to flip it at the next gun show.😊

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Brief story on a commercial vs. GI carbine. Back in the very old days, I was on the SWAT team in Baltimore. Before we were issued Mini 14's, the long arm for general use was the M1 carbine. They were not military surplus, but commerical (brand lost to memory). Anyhow, when charging the weapon, we were told to keep the plam down and use the right thumb to retract the bolt, keeping downward pressure with the thumb. There was an earlier nasty incident involving a kidnapping and a car stop by the coincidentally close and armed team. The two officers using the carbines charged them palm up. The bolts immediately jumped off the rails. Fortunately, an officer with a Remington 870 was able to use a round of 00 buck at a range of 6 feet to put paid to the miscreant. Just a random thought on a snowy Monday morning. I currently have an Inland carbine at home and it's a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
20,398 Posts
fun rifle... an uncle of mine had a carbine and the Ruger blackhawk(?) in .30. after shooting the Ruger, the M1 carbine was tame...
I also have the .30 carbine Blackhawk :)

20210222_084535.jpg

·
Huge Member
11,158 Posts
M1 Carbine are great little rifles but they're obsolete. Pretty much good only for collecting. The GI ones are too valuable to use for SD and the commercial ones are typically junk.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
M1 Carbine are great little rifles but they're obsolete. Pretty much good only for collecting. The GI ones are too valuable to use for SD and the commercial ones are typically junk.
I don’t agree. The used Auto Ordnance I bought is a great shooter.
The first longarm I bought when I was old enough was a commercial Carbine made by Plainfield. That company even made M2’s that were sold or provided to allies around the world. In fact, when I got knowledgeable enough, I figured out that my carbine was about 90% M2...It would have just needed the trip lever/selector switch/spring (drop in parts) to be a machine gun. That’s just how they made them.
That Plainfield was very reliable and accurate. Stupidly, I sold it in order to buy a Mini14 I just had to have. Imagine my surprise when I found my new Mini14 was less accurate at 50yds than my old Plainfield was at 100yds...by a large margin.
No, there is nothing “obsolete” about a 110gn bullet, properly constructed, moving at 2000fps , and coming out of a five pound carbine that points like a fine sporting arm.
Frankly, when the Plandemic started, and we had a violent widespread riot here, and I started to see the crazy look in some people’s eyes, it was my Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine in a tennis raquet case with a camera bag full of loaded mags that I tossed in my car.

·
Florist
19,952 Posts
Great gun and caliber. Low recoil and reasonably good stopping power if used as HD/SD with softpoint/hunting bullets and within 100 yards.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
If people spend $2000 on an AR-15 tricked out and that is their 'SD' rifle, I see no reason to ignore my M1 Carbine.

·
Huge Member
11,158 Posts
I don’t agree. The used Auto Ordnance I bought is a great shooter.
The first longarm I bought when I was old enough was a commercial Carbine made by Plainfield. That company even made M2’s that were sold or provided to allies around the world. In fact, when I got knowledgeable enough, I figured out that my carbine was about 90% M2...It would have just needed the trip lever/selector switch/spring (drop in parts) to be a machine gun. That’s just how they made them.
That Plainfield was very reliable and accurate. Stupidly, I sold it in order to buy a Mini14 I just had to have. Imagine my surprise when I found my new Mini14 was less accurate at 50yds than my old Plainfield was at 100yds...by a large margin.
No, there is nothing “obsolete” about a 110gn bullet, properly constructed, moving at 2000fps , and coming out of a five pound carbine that points like a fine sporting arm.
Frankly, when the Plandemic started, and we had a violent widespread riot here, and I started to see the crazy look in some people’s eyes, it was my Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine in a tennis raquet case with a camera bag full of loaded mags that I tossed in my car.
I own a '44 Winchester that is both accurate and reliable but it's too valuable to use it for self defense when I have ARs, AKs, SKSs and a host of other more modern weapons. If that's all I had sure, but that's not all I have and it would be pretty far down the list.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I own a '44 Winchester that is both accurate and reliable but it's too valuable to use it for self defense when I have ARs, AKs, SKSs and a host of other more modern weapons. If that's all I had sure, but that's not all I have and it would be pretty far down the list.
How is any gun too valuable to use for self defense? That just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
M1 Carbines are handy, fun little rifles. Always bring a smile to my face when I take one out. My 2 suggestions are

1 to buy some of the Korean KCI magazines.The KCI seem to be to be the best of the current production magazines. The 15 round ones are reported to be the most reliable, the 30 rounders are supposed to be good if downloaded to about 25. Normal times pricing on them was about $10 or less for 15 rounders and around $15 for the 30 rounders. Out of spec magazines are the cause of many M1 problems.

2 Go check out the CMP Forums for the M1 Carbine. Some great people there that know more about the M1 then anywhere else. As a collector group, they have any info or parts you need to keep it in top shape. Even though yours ice commercial, if it’s mostly GI parts, it’s likely an early model. Tons of info at CMP.

enjoy your new M1.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I
M1 Carbines are handy, fun little rifles. Always bring a smile to my face when I take one out. My 2 suggestions are

1 to buy some of the Korean KCI magazines.The KCI seem to be to be the best of the current production magazines. The 15 round ones are reported to be the most reliable, the 30 rounders are supposed to be good if downloaded to about 25. Normal times pricing on them was about $10 or less for 15 rounders and around $15 for the 30 rounders. Out of spec magazines are the cause of many M1 problems.

2 Go check out the CMP Forums for the M1 Carbine. Some great people there that know more about the M1 then anywhere else. As a collector group, they have any info or parts you need to keep it in top shape. Even though yours ice commercial, if it’s mostly GI parts, it’s likely an early model. Tons of info at CMP.

enjoy your new M1.
I have three of the 30rd KCI mags, and they have worked fine...and I do load them to 30rds. Both my AO Carbine and my Inland have M2 mag catches, with the third engagement lug...highly recommended if you plan to use 30’s.
I largely prefer the 15’s though. When I bought my CMP Carbine, they didn’t come with a magazine. About a year later, they had a great deal on GI 15rd mag 10-packs. I forget what I paid, but it was cheap. The next year, they had Norwegian made Carbine bayonets, an exact, leather gripped copy of the US M4, again cheap...of course I had to buy one. The 1943 mag pouch came from CMP forum. The bayonet sheath was my Dad’s...he served in an armored cavalry unit in France. He didn’t use a carbine, but he used the sheath to carry a fighting knife.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I see eBay sells a non-firing M1 Carbine for just over $200. I guess for enactments, plays, looks whatever. If one can get a firing, even a Universal, for a low price, seems better than a prop for a play.

I have oodles of IMR 4227 powder. It’s not like I feel the need to set up to reload for the 30 Carbine, but the powder is a good match.

·
Señor Member
9,274 Posts
Partial update; I shot two mags, 10 rounds in 15 round capacity magazines. There were no stoppages of any kind, all empties went 4’ back near the 5 O’clock position. This isn’t an exhaustive test, just wanted a run before I shoot more with the son.

This was old surplus FMJ. I did partially disassemble, inspect, clean, & lube before shooting.

So far I don’t have to flip it at the next gun show.😊
Congrats. My only exposure to them, my dad had one when I was a kid, but he sold it before I could ever shoot it. Seemed like he and friends really enjoyed plinking with it, shooting at cans on fence posts.

·
Señor Member
9,274 Posts
How is any gun too valuable to use for self defense? That just doesn't make sense to me.
I was thinking the same thing. I think they mean to say it´s too expensive to shoot regularly, which one probably should do (IMO) with any SD/HD weapon.

Reactions: garya1961

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Even as a ‘regular shooter’, one can keep it tested with a handful of rounds. That’s compared to 300 rounds every two weeks, which is a higher count ‘shooter’.

As to a defensive gun, most of us aren’t slinging lead at the bad guys every few weeks. Besides some testing, ‘defensive guns’ don’t get used all that much for the stated purpose.
Yeah, there could be a little danger from accessibility, carry, & having the iron out of storage & available.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They are neat pieces if history. Mine's a Winchester, 5 million serial range. Last time I shot it was at our club's informal 200 yard rifle match. From prone shooting Speer JHPs it shot surprisingly well.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts