Glock Talk banner

M&Pc range report....the long and the short of it!

894 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  silversport
Well, took the M&P compact out for my annual Fourth of July shoot on what was a rainy, drizzly, misty day here. Thought I would start with a mild-ish load so I broke out the Tennessee Cartridge Company - 125g - FMJ (RL). Here were my first six shots at about 13 yards:

I consider this to be OK range ammo. I have gotten the occasional failure to feed and failure to fire with it in all my Sig chambered pistols. I got one of each with this box! The disconcerting part is that, with the failures to fire, instead of just seeing a nice dimple in the primer, the primer almost seems to crumble...like it is brittle and breaks apart in the primer pocket. The same thing happened this time!!
I also had the slide lock back once before the mag was empty.... I think that was all me!
Next up was Load-X - 124g - JHP. This stuff had some oomph! - and it ran 100%. I had this popcorn tin lid balanced up on a stake and it would fall very easily. But the Load-X just zipped thru it like a hot knife thru butter...... without even jiggling it!

Then I decided to run some Precision Ammunition - 100g - copper matrix NTF (non-toxic frangible). This company no longer exists as they got bought out by RWS, who wanted their frangible bullet recipe! I was planning to get up close and personal (short range shooting)with the steel but.....after the second shot I had this!!:

Now that's a pretty bad jam! The empty case was not extracted/ left in the chamber and then the next round tried to feed! This actually happened six out of the first eight times before I just completely gave up attempting to use this ammo. Not sure what the deal was!? I was worried that I had a problem with the gun's extractor!! For comparison purposes, I have used this load once in my P226 with no issues - and on three occasions with my G33 having issues each time (3-4 failures to feed per box). For today.... my short range shooting was cut short.
So, I pulled out some Trident Ammunition - 124g - JHP (RL). This stuff has run great in a couple of my pistols annnnd....................... it ran great in this one as well! 100% - no issues! first shots at 13 yards!

Felt better about things after that! Grabbed my Ruger and put a few boxes thru that but I wasn't ready to go home just yet. So, I did a quick barrel change to 40 S&W and broke out LAX ammo - 180g - FMJ. This load was stout and shot very well. (I have used LAX in 38spcl and liked it also). I must have been finally settling in behind the trigger because this LAX was just going where I wanted it to!
Here is "rocking the gong" at 22 yards......

I put 100 rounds of LAX thru my "now" .40 M&Pc with zero issues. I finished the session - going long range - hitting the ram at 100-105 yards six out of ten shots!! ( I should have rushed home and ordered more right away - LAX had a 6% off offer going over the 4th holiday!). Here is a shot of the ram in case you were wondering how big it is:

850 rounds 357Sig thru this pistol now representing 14 different loads &
150 rounds .40 thru this pistol now representing 2 different loads
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,906 Posts
nice report and nice to read of the longevity thus far of the M&P 357c pistol since I have one as well...some of the recent press seems to say that this is a problematic pistol with 357 SIG but that hasn't been my experience or yours as long as we use good ammunition (I had failures with WWB that failed in my SIG Pro too)...nice!

Bill

Reactions: NitLion

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice report and nice to read of the longevity thus far of the M&P 357c pistol since I have one as well...some of the recent press seems to say that this is a problematic pistol with 357 SIG but that hasn't been my experience or yours as long as we use good ammunition (I had failures with WWB that failed in my SIG Pro too)...nice!

Bill
I am starting to develop a theory with the smaller 357Sig pistols - -- that they are sprung heavier to compensate for being lighter handguns. So, lighter loadings may cause issues (at least when the pistols are relatively new). The warmer loads seems to have been working better. I will test this the next time I bring out the G33.... I will bring hotter loads!

· Registered
190 Posts
I have both the MP9c and MP357/40c and so far between all three calibers i have never had a failure. All told i would say about 5,000-5,500 rounds, about 60% 9mm, and even split on the 40&357.

All this said, i just recently picked up a G26 gen 4 i am looking forward to putting up against my MP9c

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have both the MP9c and MP357/40c and so far between all three calibers i have never had a failure. All told i would say about 5,000-5,500 rounds, about 60% 9mm, and even split on the 40&357.

All this said, i just recently picked up a G26 gen 4 i am looking forward to putting up against my MP9c
I prefer the feel in hand of the M&Pc (but I like both). If I used nothing but Speer Lawman and Gold Dot, I am guessing I would have 100% reliability but.... I sorta stray far afield with ammo choices and then I note the results here!

· Registered
2,906 Posts
I prefer the feel in hand of the M&Pc (but I like both). If I used nothing but Speer Lawman and Gold Dot, I am guessing I would have 100% reliability but.... I sorta stray far afield with ammo choices and then I note the results here!
of course my preference for those two loads, beyond them being good performers was that my previous job keeping me partially supplied ;) ...now that I have to buy ALL my own, I may try some different cartridges but the Speer stuff has performed well in ALL my 357 SIG pistols (and in other caliber pistols as well)...

Bill

· Registered
190 Posts
of course my preference for those two loads, beyond them being good performers was that my previous job keeping me partially supplied ;) ...now that I have to buy ALL my own, I may try some different cartridges but the Speer stuff has performed well in ALL my 357 SIG pistols (and in other caliber pistols as well)...

Bill
The .357 sig round is my favorite, but my MP357c, and P229 also in .357 were placed on the shelf when the ammo became scarce not too long ago.

Gold Dot was my go to, and HST my back up to that.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The .357 sig round is my favorite, but my MP357c, and P229 also in .357 were placed on the shelf when the ammo became scarce not too long ago.

Gold Dot was my go to, and HST my back up to that.
Scarce? You must mean at LGSs? 357Sig has always been abundant (at at the height of the craziness - available) if you shop on-line. Its actually always been cheaper to shop online for me!

· Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Bill
Nice ! That must have been nice! I'm sure retirement is pretty good to tho'. The PA game commission has G31's and I am pretty sure that is their carry load!

· Registered
2,906 Posts
it DID help...I still bought my own 'cuz I like to shoot when I want to shoot at the range ;) ...

I agree around ChicagoLand that 357 SIG can be hard to find and it won't be too cheap but there are any number of online outlets that will set you up for a fair price on ammunition...

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.