M&P340 or G26 or 84FS Cheetah for pocket carry?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Irfan, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Irfan

Irfan Millennium Member

I’ve been carrying full size pistols for a long time, a Glock 17, 92FS and CZ85B, but sometimes especially during the summer days I find it difficult to carry concealed a full sized pistol so I leave it at home and take only my folding knife with me.
    But as I always wear some kind of vest I’d like to get some new smaller pistol that I could carry in a pocket. Those are my choices: G26, M&P340 (I’d use a .357 ammo) and Beretta 84FS Cheetah?

So based on your experience what would you advise me to get and why? Thank you very much.

2. Ridgeway

Ridgeway

The g26 & 84fs are way to big for pocket carry.
    J-frame or smaller semi-auto (pm9 sized imo) is the only way to go (& be comfortable w/o a brick in your pocket). Even if you could comfortably fit something sized akin to the glock, the weight would not be fun. Try each in your pocket- you'll notice a night & day difference. One is comfortable, the other isn't.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The Glock 26 is way too big for pocket carry, you could do it but it would print like crazy.

A J frame revolver is what you want. With a good pocket holster they will print no more than a wallet. Get one in .38 special +p. With .357 mag J frames you only get an extra 200 fps or so with A LOT of extra recoil, muzzle blast and noise.

4. Brigrat

Brigrat

I pocket carried a 26 for a couple of years...go with a J-Frame, they are much more comfortable.

5. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

J-frame works in a pocket. I've never (nor would I) pocket my 26. PM-9 works nice as well.

6. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

For pocket carry I like a J-frame Airweight snubbie. I had an AirLite 340PD and found that its harsh recoil (even with .38spl +Ps) prevented routine practice. In fact, the 340PD was one of the most challenging handguns I've owned. It was sent to a new home and replaced with a S&W Airweight 637. IMO, routine practice is appropriate for all concealed carry handguns.

7. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I sold my 340 PD last year and kick my self in the butt to this day. I've since replaced it with a 340 M&P and love firing .357s through it. :supergrin:

8. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

There's a word for people like you...masochistic.

9. Seamus O'Connor

Seamus O'Connor The Dixie Mick

Of the firearms you listed only the M&P340 can be reasonably pocket-carried (I don't care what my brother says). Unless you have gigantic pockets - most likely cargo-pants sized pockets - and/or dress very sloppy (baggy pants, no belt, "pants-on-the-ground", etc.).

I love a J-Frame in a Desantis Nemesis or Tuff-Products pocket holster.

Not on your list, but good alternatives are Ke-Tec PF-9 and P-11. I have no experience with the Kahr PM9. Many people have had success with them. They are at least twice as expensive as the Kel-Tecs.

10. 20South

20South

I just started pocket carry and had a similar dilemma except I was between the Kahr and the J-Frame. I eventually, chose the M&P360 and couldnt be happier with the decision. I am still between holsters - ordered a Mika's which hasnt gotten in yet and am hopeful. Currently using a Nemesis, and it's okay. I find it prints a little more then I care for it to if I am not in denim. The weight is perfect and its not the punishing/menacing beast some would have you believe. Never once has it made me bleed or cause me to develop some crazy flinch. Do I want to go to the range and shoot it all day? No. It's not a range gun. I can and do regularly get to the range and put 50 rds of .38special through it and survive. btw - I only carry +p. I could have gotten away with a 442, but wanted a .357 - even if I almost never shoot .357 through it. Hope that helps.

11. venenoindy

venenoindy

I recently got a great deal on a S&W340SC and I carry it in a Desantis nemesis, I can only tell you that I have found the perfect CCW (IMO). at 11.4oz empty is a dream to carry but like other said if you are recoil sensitive is not the gun for you, J frame revolvers are not easy to shoot.