M&P w/ Thumb Safety

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by re223, Nov 12, 2010.

1. re223

re223

Does the standard full sized M&P w/ the thumb safety have a lighter trigger pull compared to models w/o the thumb safety? Can anyone warrant getting the thumb safety?

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Can't say for 100% certainty but I've never heard the pull weight is different.

Personally I don't like the M&P manual safety. Too loose. It can be removed easily enough though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

3. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

The thumb safety has absolutely no bearing on the trigger pull.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Indy_Guy_77 is right. The thumb safety on the M&P blocks the rearward movement of the trigger bar when engaged but doesn't have any effect on the trigger pull

In this first picture with the safety in the ON position you can see the tab on the right side of the thumb safety block the rear of the trigger bar from moving further rearward.
    [​IMG]

In this picture, with the thumb safety lowered, you can see how the trigger bar is able to move fully rearward over the lever's tab.
    [​IMG]

We were told in the armorer class that the thumb safety on the .45 was originally developed to meet a requirement in an expected military pistol trial (like the roll pin used for the .45 extractor). The trial was suspended. Once the public saw that the .45 was available with a thumb safety, they naturally responded by creating a demand for it across the model line.

I have it on my M&P 45 because I'm a long time 1911 shooter and wanted to try it out. I don't have it on my M&P 40c, which I carry and shoot just like my other pistols which don't have a "cocked & locked" mode. I'm contemplating getting it on the M&P 45c I'm planning to buy. Maybe, maybe not.

5. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Thanks fastbolt......

I sure do appreciate it when someone makes the effort to show us technical photos to back up a statement.

hog

6. itstime

itstime

Great post. Thanks for the info.

7. Billet

Billet

The manual safety on my M&P is easily removed and plugs are available to fill the slots left in the slide. Mine were $6 from Speed Shooter Specialties. Installing an Apex sear dropped my trigger pull to the low 4 lb range, and my buddy thinks its lighter than his Kimber. I'm glad to have a safety with this trigger.