M&P trigger bar modification

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cciman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Brand New M&Pc 9mm with thumb safety. I have many Glocks, but never had a M&P until now.

I have read that there is a trigger bar mod (bending the trigger bar) to get a positive trigger reset feel, but cannot find a picture of what is being bent.

If someone knows how, please post a picture, and directions of what to bend.

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Mind a suggestion from a M&P pistol armorer?

Don't attempt to "bend" or otherwise modify the trigger bar. Seriously.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

4. 257 roberts

257 roberts

nothing wrong with just buying a M&P and shooting it!!!! thats what I did
    don't get caught up on everything you read on the internet but hea this is from a guy that shoots a stock AR and stock Glocks(with NEVER an issue)

5. Simple_Man

Simple_Man

When I 1st got mine it was a very Gritty trigger I got the apex kit and now its super smooth and breaks at a nice 4lbs. they are at www.apextactical.com. video on youtube [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGc3XobKiAI"]Forward Set Sear Install - HD - YouTube[/ame]

6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Dogmas are barking. Why not? I don't think the amount of deflection is enough to affect function of the low tolerance parts. The amount of metal deflection is <1/64"-- you can't even see it.. If you go too much, bend it back. It does affect how the reset feels: from zero to some.

Here is a description:
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.p...-bend-the-trigger-bar-in-away-from-the-frame/

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. blastfact

blastfact

There are a lot of things one can do to a M&P Pistol trigger. Tuning the reset by bending the trigger transfer bar is way on the bottom of the list. You can not make it go CLICK like a Glock reset. Wish I could make my G20 reset like a M&P. :)

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

No dogmas barking.

When you browse among the internet firearms forums nowadays it's pretty easy to find any number of gun owners who think that being an owner somehow makes them capable to start bending, tweaking, filing, adjusting, modifying or "improving" some firearm design that took a team of engineers a few years (or more) to design and develop.

Kind of like folks who seem to think that watching a video clip and reading some comments posted by other folks makes them able to do a "fluff & buff", and that it's even a good idea in the first place. :upeyes:

Now, I'm not an engineer, gunsmith or factory technician. Not anybody's idea of an "expert", either, not by any means. Just a simple LE armorer.

However, I've been through 17 factory armorer classes (not counting a couple of non-factory classes) and I've spent my fair share of time using that training at the bench. I've seen some "avoidable problems" that now required repair or correction in order to restore a gun to safe, normal and reliable operation.

During those assorted classes I've also seen a number of 'armorer students' unintentionally make simple mistakes while trying to learn to do simple repairs and corrections on guns. Now, those folks had the benefit of listening to an instructor first, observing the instructor demonstrate some action, having the armorer manual open in front of them (in addition to any notes they'd taken), and having the correct tools.

And they still made mistakes, sometimes ruining parts. The instructor was available to catch the mistakes, though, and help the students correct their problem. More replacement parts were available for the student to use to try again, too.

I've certainly made my own share of mistakes while learning to do some new procedure over the years, as well. ;)

In this instance we're not even talking about an actual "problem" with a brand new firearm, though, but just something that someone thinks they don't (or won't) "like", compared to how they perceive another make/model of pistol "feels".

As a firearms instructor of more than 20 years experience I've found that a lot of folks might be better off if they invested the time and effort in trying to "improve" themselves, and their skillset, instead of trying to "improve" some subtle nuance on a gun.

As luck would have it, S&W has been listening to their customer base since the M&P was released in Jan '06 and have been working on making some further changes and revision to the M&P pistol regarding the "trigger" (including making their soft, non-distracting trigger reset more noticeable). This new feature is going to be introduced in the model line in the near future, first in the 9/.40 models (and hopefully not too far off in the .45 models).

I'm still waiting to get some further details, including whether (and how) it can be retro-fitted to previous production guns. I'll probably get more detailed info later this year when I go to a recert armorer class for the M&P pistol.

There's an old saying that's applicable and repeated to armorer students at times ... which is that if a gun is working normally, it's not a good idea to try and keep "fixing" it until it's really broken. ;)