M&P Sportsman II or Ruger AR 556 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by garya1961, Mar 6, 2017.

1. garya1961

garya1961

I see the prices of ARs coming down just as I expected after Trump won the election. I have never been an AR fan but now I'm thinking of maybe getting one. It's not going to be for war or even self defense so I don't need any thing special. Not that I wouldn't use it for self defense just that I have that covered already.
    I see the M&P Sportsman II and Ruger AR 556 both for around $500 now. Which one would you choose if both are priced the same?
    Plan to go to the gun show in a couple weeks and I am considering picking one up.

refugeepj likes this.
  2. plp

plp

Either one should be great. I can't see a single advantage or disadvantage either way.

Paul53, refugeepj and SJ 40 like this.

3. cyphertext

cyphertext

It's an M&P 15 Sport... not "Sportsman"... and I would get it over the Ruger for several reasons. Mostly due to standard parts used on the S&W, and Rugers use of a non-shrouded firing pin.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Sport II.

Glock40man likes this.
  5. DSRTEAGLE357

DSRTEAGLE357

6. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Sport II. As much as I like many Rugers, that one's trigger sucks.

7. refugeepj

refugeepj

i own a sport and a sport II.
    bought them because i could get them for way less than the Ruger.
    the sport was 500, the sport II 525.
    no bad choice here.

8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Both offer a lot of rifle for low dollars. I would lean toward the S&w but both are worth taking home.

FLIPPER 348 likes this.
  9. L Pete

L Pete

My old Sport I is the most accurate AR that I've shot........

Cambo likes this.
  10. CMG

CMG

Not a fan of Ruger's proprietary parts, so S&W for me as well.

11. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

I've got the MP Sport II and love it. My son has the Ruger and loves it. I went with the S&W as many I talked to felt it was a best buy in the lower price range. Ready to shoot out of the box; easy to modify. As stated, I doubt you can lose on this.

12. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

S&W Sport II. tom.

huskerbuttons likes this.
  13. pblanc

pblanc

I would get whichever is cheaper. I got the Ruger AR 556 and I am happy with it. I preferred the 1:8 barrel twist rate of the Ruger to the 1:9 of the Smith, although for many it probably makes little difference. I thought the stock pistol grip of the Ruger was a bit more comfortable than the Smith.

The stock trigger on the Smith is probably a bit better than the Ruger but both are very inexpensive, single-stage mil-spec triggers. I liked the Magpul MBUS rear sight on the Smith better than the proprietary flip-up rear sight on the Ruger because the Ruger sight has only a single sized aperture.

Some have criticized the threaded Delta ring on the Ruger since it is not mil-spec and can be over-tightened. I actually prefer it to the spring-loaded Delta ring as it makes the fore-end easier to remove and install.

The un-shroaded firing pin on the bolt carrier group of the Ruger is probably more of a theoretical than real concern. An un-shrouded pin could result in peening of the firing pin collar or damage to the firing pin retaining pin (cotter pin) but both these parts are relatively inexpensive, and many have reported high round counts with the Ruger without these problems.

14. garya1961

garya1961

I'm leaning toward the M&P "Sport" II but will it shoot commercial 223 and 556 surplus ammo? What draws me to the Ruger is their customer service. I have always heard good things about Ruger's CS. How is S&W's CS?

15. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I think either would be a good choice honestly. I have the original sport(when the barrel was better) and I really like it.

I think Ruger probably has the better customer service but I could be wrong.

16. collim1

collim1

I haven't shot the Ruger, so I can't comment on that one, but I can say the M&P Sport is a solid rifle.

I bought my sister one when they first came out. It's a solid plinker. Hers has the 1:8 barrel, which has proven to be very accurate and versatile.

Her is reliable and is rarely cleaned. She doesn't clean it just lubes before each session and I clean it for her when she comes back home about a once a year.

17. garya1961

garya1961

OK, one more question, this rifle will be mostly for target shooting.
    Is the Ruger 1.8 twist more accurate than the 1.9 twist of the S&W?

18. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

That would depend on the weight of the bullets you will be shooting. If you shoot 55 grain the i in 8 twist would maybe help more at greater distance. For a 62 or 69 or even 77 grain the i in 9 of the smith would likely do better.

It's not really a huge deal for shooting inside 200 yards for most casual shooting. Frankly for real accuracy you might want to go to a better ar with a better quality barrel shooting higher quality ammo. I would assume that the ruger would shoot 1.5 to 2.0 minute of angle / meaning a 1.5 to 2 inch five shot group shot prone or rested at 100 yards with excellent shooter and scope.

The S&w I would think based on tests that I have read about ( not my personal testing. ) Would yield about 1.5 MOA from the same distance under the same conditions.

You would want to try six or ten different ammo brands and several weights to find a sweet brand that shoots especially well.

The most important thing for AR accuracy is the barrel. The more expensive AR's typically have better quality forged barrels with the best having 5R rifling and sporting melonite coatings . I favor a mid length gas system as carbine length gas systems are harder on the BCG and harder cycling in general.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Do you buy a gun to shoot or to send back for repair?

I sent my AR556 back for front sight falling off. Ruger took care of shipping back and forth plus minimal wait time.

I didn't have to send my my Sport II.

Which customer service is more worthwhile to me? The one I have to utilize or the one I don't need to use?

vart and FLIPPER 348 like this.
  20. garya1961

garya1961

I work on Toyotas for a living. I think they are some of the most dependable cars on the road but they are not perfect, sometimes they need to be brought in for repairs or I wouldn't have a job.
    Guns are the same.

GoBigOrange and Squaw Man Wolfer like this.