GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
13,282 Posts
DO NOT stone or polish any trigger on a military style trigger. They are case hardened with a very thin layer of hardened metal that will easily be worn away by most any amount of stoning and polishing. You will end up with am unreliable trigger eventually...maybe not for 300 rounds. Maybe not 800.. But eventually. Its your gun, do what you want.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Op ... Congrats on your decision. You'll get a solid rifle. If there ever is an issue, like I had, they bent over backwards to take care of me and honestly, I was glad it happened I can't out so far ahead. This was before they laser measured their lowers. The holidays will have some triggers on sale and you and I can upgrade then

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I have no doubt that the S&W is a great rifle, but I could not find the version I wanted for a decent price and so I ended up deciding on a Radical 16" 5.56 SOCOM with an AIM NIB BCG. From what I have read about Radical, their products have become a lot better quality and the only thing that has gone wrong in recent tests, has been the BCG. Since the rifle I looked at has the AIM one installed, that should take care of that. The trigger is not terrible, but I have some light springs coming and with a bit of stoning, polishing, etc., I am sure I can turn it into a decent enough trigger. And down the road I will install a 223 Wylde Larue or similar barrel. Thanks to ebay, there is a Nikon P-Tactical 223 4-12x40 scope on the way and by friday I should have enough 223 ammo to be able to sight it in and do some testing 100-300 yards. Once I have some experience with this rifle, I will do a quick review for everyone.
Thanks again.
I really like my Sport II but I wouldn't pay today's pricing for one either. Don't be in too big of a hurry to swap barrels. I have seen reports where the 223 wylde barrel didn't shoot as good as the 556 barrel. As for the trigger I may would do a little polishing with some light car polish but I wouldn't do anything to remove any metal. I bought a PSA 2 stage trigger for $69 did a little light polishing and replaced the sear spring with a lighter one out of a spring kit and it's a really good trigger. Some will say you are better to buy the Larue trigger and they may be right but I'm happy with my PSA and I think I saw where you already bought a spring kit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know that there are many good triggers out there, but I want to see what can be done with the stock trigger first. Between the springs and some careful sanding/polishing and limiting pre travel, I think the stock trigger can be made a lot better. Maybe not competition grade 1.5lb pull better, but I like to tinker and play with stuff. This is a target/race gun, not a self defense gun, so I have some leeway in what I can do without worrying if I am screwing up something that is supposed to save my life.
But Larue is in the hunt for a future barrel upgrade.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I know that there are many good triggers out there, but I want to see what can be done with the stock trigger first. Between the springs and some careful sanding/polishing and limiting pre travel, I think the stock trigger can be made a lot better. Maybe not competition grade 1.5lb pull better, but I like to tinker and play with stuff. This is a target/race gun, not a self defense gun, so I have some leeway in what I can do without worrying if I am screwing up something that is supposed to save my life.
But Larue is in the hunt for a future barrel upgrade.
Sounds like you should've just built one if you're already talking about switching the barrel out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sounds like you should've just built one if you're already talking about switching the barrel out.
I did check pricing on building one from scratch, but with current pricing on parts, it would have cost a lot more than buying this one outright. And for now I have a functioning rifle that I can play with and get used to, as well as learning all the little intricacies of an AR 15, since this is my first one. Knowing me, by the time I am done with this gun, chances are that I will have 90% of the parts to build another one. But it will be a fun journey.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts