M&P Pro for Duty Carry?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by lndshark, Oct 16, 2015.

1. lndshark

lndshark

Anyone here carry an M&P Pro (9mm) for duty?

Discuss...

2. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I'm interested too... I actually like the M&P platform. I just hate it in 40. I think an M&P in 9mm with a long slide would be a great pistol for uniform duty.

Sent from my mobile communication device...

mntrpr likes this.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

I know one guy (another instructor) who received authorization to carry his personally-owned M&P9 Pro 5". Absolute tack-driver and great heft/balance.

4. Morris

Morris CLM

Our SWAT/patrol dude dropped the 1911 and is running a pro in 9. Absolutely enjoys shooting it, fits in his hand, etc.

5. mntrpr

mntrpr

I just recently picked up a VTAC in 9mm with an Apex trigger. While not a pro, I would not hesitate to carry a Smith M&P in this configuration as a duty pistol. I was pleasantly surprised with how smooth it shoots.

6. lndshark

lndshark

Ahh, that's right. Your agency opened up caliber selection and allows M&P's now. Admittedly, I haven't given the M&P line much thought until recently. When I switched to my first polymer pistol (a G21 in 2007) from a Beretta 92FS, I had considered the M&P and XD as alternatives. But back then, those two offerings were still relatively new so I went with Glock.

Last year I bought a new Gen4 G17 and a Gen4 G26. Love the G26 and now carry it as a BUG (used to carry a PM9). I never shot the G17 and sold it to a co-worker. Now I'd like to get another full-size 9mm, suitable for duty use (if possible), and I was considering a G17 again or possibly a G34. But then I started thinking about an M&P in 9mm and the Pro caught my eye. I'm going to shoot a G34 and a Pro9 back to back in a day or so and see if the M&P is for me.

Anyone know where I can find a legitimate LE price list for M&P's? I spent an hour searching and found numerous discrepancies in pricing.

7. lndshark

lndshark

I read that the Pro comes with an Apex trigger. I haven't handled an M&P lately but I have heard some folks don't like the trigger (in comparison to Glock). I'll see in the next few days when I shoot one but I can't imagine it's as bad as going from a Glock trigger to the Khar.

8. vista461

vista461

Regular ones are $398 and $455 w/ night sights. Not sure in LE price on Pros. I bought mine in 2010 prior to getting a job, and I have the 4.25"pro with night sights and not the 5" pro. I love the trigger on my pro.

9. PicardMD

PicardMD Make It So!!

Budsgunshop lists their Qualified Professional prices on M&P pretty much on-par with their Glock counterparts (meaning, stock sight $398, nightsight $455, Pro $520 give or take)

I believe it is a Performance Center sear, not the Apex stuff. I've shot both, and both are improvements from the original stock trigger (especially those early ones), with slight edge to the Apex.

lndshark likes this.
  10. car541

car541 Patrol Hairbag

Yes, It already has a performance center sear from the factory, I added a KKM barrel to increase accuracy (mine is from 2009 or so, so it had the old style slow twist barrel when new which wasnt bad, but not as good as a the newer ones. S&W has since increased the twist to 1:10 and the new factory barrels are quite accurate). I also put Trijicon HD sights with a 0.292 inch high Orange dot HD front sight to regulate it properly with the long slide.

Other than that, it really doesnt need anything. I keep a TRL-2G on it with a streamlight tape switch. If you buy a 6280 for a standard size M&P with the TLR2 (size 21921) and warm up the lower end of the holster around the muzzle with a heat gun, the longslide will fit very well without needing a longer holster. (safariland also doesnt make a longslide holster for the TLR2)

The safariland size code for the longslide is 819.

Mine has thousands of rounds with zero malfunctions and is very accurate.

lndshark likes this.
  11. fla2760

fla2760

12. lndshark

lndshark

I called Bud's yesterday and was told that they do not have any M&P Pro 9's in stock for Law Enforcement sales. But...I could happily buy one at their cash price of $569.99 (with two magazines). My local GS (a Blue Label Glock dealer) said that he had a source for S&W LE pistols and gave me a price of $510 but it would need to be ordered.

After my first handling of an M&P I can see why folks don't like the triggers. It felt a bit gritty and the pull was long. I'm not going to get into an M&P vs Glock trigger war but I'll say it is different than a Glock. No biggie - I got used to the trigger on my Khar which felt totally wonky after shooting a Glock for so many years.

I really liked the feel of the M&P and think I'll pick one up. A friend has been trying to get me into PPC so that's enough of an excuse to buy full-sized pistol.

13. lndshark

lndshark

Thanks for the info!

14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Shoot before you buy!!!!

I was really excited about the M&P. I thought the design was good, it certainly fit comfortably in my hand.

But then I rented one at the range. For some reason, compared to my other pistols, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I'm not sure what the problem is, I suspect its the trigger. Everything else is still nice, but I can't buy a pistol that that I have to train for specifically that's different from the other weapons in my collection.

Compare that experience to my FNX-45 which I was able to blast out tight little groups from the moment I picked it up. Again, not sure what the difference is. . . but I learned my lesson, which is no matter how good you THINK a gun is. . . always rent it before you buy it.

lndshark likes this.
  15. Morris

Morris CLM

Some clarifications:

No APEX products in the PRO, just some PC and other tuned parts.

The PRO is not in the LE line-up due to it being competition oriented. So you won't necessarily get the LE price as you would with the other "standard" pistols.

I personally prefer the M&P trigger over the issued Glock trigger I had, even from the factory and some of the feel it had. Adding an APEX DCAEK just made it better. Oddly enough, the FN sat in my hand differently so I found I shot a bit worse with it. Not a bad pistol, just fits differently.

16. lndshark

lndshark

Thanks for the clarification. Do you see any problem with adding the DCAEK in a duty gun? Guess it depends on policy and how personally-owned pistols are viewed by the admin (in so far as who is responsible for armoring and if practical modifications are permitted).

Ah, that explains why no LE reps knew about the PRO. The 34/35 seem to be recognized as "ok" for duty use as the Blue Label versions come with 3 mags, 5.5 lb trigger and fixed sights. For some reason I thought Smith might have done the same with the PRO series.

The trigger isn't a deal killer for me. I must be spoiled because the triggers on both my G26 and G22 duty gun were amazing right out of the box. Guess I'm just a stock Glock trigger fan (ruined by the DA/SA trigger on my old P220)...

17. Morris

Morris CLM

It's all about the policy and approval by the Rangemasters on behalf of the chief.

18. vista461

vista461

S&W used to make a 5" non pro M&P. Not sure if they still do. It had the regular trigger.

19. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

I carry a Glock 35. I'd love to try out the M&P 5" Pro series. Just a Glock fan. Maybe one day, interested in LE pricing on the S&W though.

20. lndshark

lndshark

If I wind up getting one I'll post what I paid. I shot one yesterday and was very impressed. The trigger was great compared to a standard M&P 9 I sampled. I'm not sure how rugged the front sight is but I really liked the rear Novak. The ergos were awesome and follow-up shots quick. Making a decision between the Pro and a G34 will be tough (especially since I already own a G26). Glock fan here too.