M&P OR Sig P226

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by speicher, Feb 15, 2010.

1. speicher

speicher

Looking at either the S&W M&P or Sig P226 both in .40

anyone own or have experiences with both of these? Also curious about the overall toughness, durability etc...of the alloy frame (sig) vs a polymer (m&p) is this a moot point or concern??

Thanks

2. mikeyU

mikeyU

Go with the sig, I like all the sigs I have. If I had to have a polymer gun I would get a glock or HK, not a fan of the M&P.

3. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Full size M&P? Both are fine handguns, so it depends on which you shoot better and which suit your particular needs. The full sized gun usually means a range gun or nightstand gun. Either would work for those roles, but I find the 226 to be a softer (and more accurate) shooter.

Either way, you end up with a great gun.

4. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I could make the decision on trigger alone, just because I absolutely hate the rubbery feeling trigger on M&P's, and I've always preferred the crisp SA trigger pull that we all used on automatics before Glocks came along. Sig 226's still have that SA trigger after the first DA pull, or you can still cock the hammer manually if you want - just like I was always used to doing anyway on the Browning Hi Power.

I vote Sig 226.
    Or better yet, search for a thirty or forty year old Hi Power.

5. LEAD

LEAD

I'd go sig, I have a 226 and love it. I have little experience with the M&P

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have the M&P in .40 and .45 and a Sig 226 in 9mm.

Durability of both I expect to be good for standard civilian use. If you are rolling around in the sand or swimming in the ocean routinely it might be more of an issue.

The biggest thing is the triggers so very different. DA/SA of a Sig vs. the M&P is a big difference. Obviously if you can try both see what you prefer. The M&P trigger for a lot of people falls in the love it or hate it not much in between.

The grip of the M&P you can adjust with different back straps. The sig is pretty big to start. You can add grips to it to make it bigger but not much you can do to shrink it beyond stock size.

7. Larry V

Larry V

I own both. Love the Sig but the MP 40 is one soft shooting polymer 40.I just lean a little more towards the Sig in this case.

8. big68

big68

Sig P226, forget the M&P.

9. speicher

speicher

Any thoughts on alloy vs polymer?

10. raven11

raven11

sure, i shoot both. a Walther P99 and a Sig P228

with the weight of the the P228's weight helps keep the muzzle down and most new shooters perfer it. you can shoot just as accurately with a P99 but it takes more practice

11. speicher

speicher

Given the highlighted above statement...what would be your choice of the two?

12. Jon_R

Jon_R

It would depend on a lot of factors and what the actual application you have for the pistol. Also you hand size. If you hands are small I would avoid the Sig.

If it was just a gun to shoot the stuff out of at the range and I already owned polymer pistols (glocks) I would go with Sig as it would be significantly different.

If instead I owned a lot of 1911s and such I would go with the M&P for the same reason.

If EDC I would go with the polymer frame and stainless slide of the M&P and save some weight.

Competition would depend on what type of competition.

Home defense to grab in the middle of the night I would probably go with the Sig. Heavier, quicker to shoot, and you are not going to be carrying it long.

What is your application for it?

I bought my Sig because I didn't have one and my application was to run the Sig in IDPA SSP and USPA Production. I run the M&Ps in limited 10 USPSA. I carry a G23/19. The M&P .45 is the main home defense gun kept in the bedroom. 1911s for CDP and SS. etc....

I celebrate diversity and always look to add something that is different.

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Since both are entirely different pistols, I'd determine which trigger configuration suits you best. :)

14. fragout

fragout

The SIG P226 has been combat proven over and over, it has been a weapon of choice for many operators. It's a higly regarded firearm around the world. Maybe the S&W's are ok, but the the SIG is the standard. Plus S&W caved in and sold Americans out during the Clinton gun ban era, if that matters to you.

15. Brucev

Brucev

Sig P-226. Noting more needs to be said.

16. speicher

speicher

I guess what I'm wondering...is the P226 going to be as reliable under ALL conditions as the Glocks are known to be?

17. speicher

speicher

Sorry...glocks meaning M&P's etc...polymer framed pistols.

18. Broncbuster

Broncbuster Dying Breed

Considering it is the side arm of Navy Seals as well as Sig are the side arms for Federal Air Marshals i would say yes. I like my Glocks but I own 3 Sigs and they are the ones I pick up first. I owned a M&P 45 and sold it to buy another Sig P226.

19. big68

big68

The Sig will last a lifetime and the some. It is a very reliable handgun that I would trust my life to. I would also say that about a select few like HK, Glock, CZ, 1911's. Buy a Sig P226 or any Sig and be happy that you own one of the best made. The M&P is not in the same class.

20. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Honestly, I really find the SIG P226 appealing, as I own one, but just purely for capacity reasons, I'd go with the S&W. Both are gonna get the job done at the end of the day. Gun for gun, I like the SIG better, but I cringe at a 12-round pistol that size.