Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to qualify with my dept. issued M&P 40 on Wednesday. Since I work in a plain clothes assignment and carry a Glock, my M&P usually stays in my locker until quals come up. My magazines stay loaded all year. When the gun was empty, the slide would only lock back half of the time. The ordnance officer said that they have been seeing the magazine springs taking a "set". They disasembled my mags and stretched the springs which seems to have cured the problem. This doesn't give me much confidence in the M&P. I have never experienced anything like this with a Glock, and I've owned them since 1987.

Ron

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
All mags take a set and I have mags that are constantly loaded only to be emptied and refilled a few times a year. Stretching them back out actually does more harm than good.

Is it not locking back when fired to empty or manually locking back the slide with an empty mag in a safe environment?

Thumbs sometimes have a way of touching slide stops which prevent them from doing their job.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know that S&W was initially having a problem with M&P mag springs from some of their vendors. Some would bend if left fully loaded for a while. They changed vendors and spring designs/materials. I do not have the chart in front of me, but the springs are color coded with paint to mark which generation they are. I would send them back to S&W (just don't tell them that you stretched them). I know that they used orange, purple and green.

S&W denied that there was any revisions and that the color just indicated which vendor made them. But they have been more that happy to send people springs when there was a complaint about a spring problem...

My M&P 45 FS came with orange painted springs. All of the extra mags I bought over the counter have purple springs. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with mine, but some guys have.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My M&P and magazines are kept loaded because it has to be ready for me to use should some emergency arise where I would have to put a uniform on and put a gun belt on. In this post 9/11 world you never know. if they call me to an emergency scene, I won't have time to worry about loading empty magazines.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts