Glock Talk banner

M&P 45

766 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Sharkey
It may be sacrilege (being as this GLOCK talk...) but I am looking at some M&P 45's. Love the aesthetics of them with the FCS, and the ergonomics of the grip appeal to my hands more so than any of the G21's that I have had in the past.

With websites/companies like Glockmeister, Rock Your Glock, etc. that cater to the huge aftermarket for Glocks, is there anything like that for M&P's?

Cheers!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
3,723 Posts
My M&P45 full size rests on my nightstand and is my primary home defense handgun. It is fitted with TFO sights and a TLR-2 light. It's a great shooter and has been 100% reliable. I haven't done any other mods to it. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.

· Registered
273 Posts
There are very few aftermarket parts available for the M&P series, Also they do not have the spare parts bass that Glock has either. If you want or need spare factory parts for the M&P series you pretty much have to go thru smith &Wesson.

· Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are very few aftermarket parts available for the M&P series, Also they do not have the spare parts bass that Glock has either. If you want or need spare factory parts for the M&P series you pretty much have to go thru smith &Wesson.
I guess my question to everyone is: Is the lack of aftermarket support for M&P's a negative? Granted, it is at the very least food for thought...

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I like my M&P .45 a lot and have been treated well by the S&W service department. Stock parts seem to have an edge in reliability so I never worried about not being able to find spinners or a lowering kit for it.

· Registered
131,431 Posts
It may be sacrilege (being as this GLOCK talk...) but I am looking at some M&P 45's. Love the aesthetics of them with the FCS, and the ergonomics of the grip appeal to my hands more so than any of the G21's that I have had in the past.

With websites/companies like Glockmeister, Rock Your Glock, etc. that cater to the huge aftermarket for Glocks, is there anything like that for M&P's?

Cheers!
The aftermarket for M&P pistols is not nearly as diverse.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Can't argue the ergos of the M&P line. All mine have been relaible and plenty accurate for SD work, which they are intended for. Sights and maybe an Apex trigger would be the only thing I'd do to one personally.

· Registered
4,344 Posts
An M&P FS45 is my bedside gun with TLR-1 attached. You can find some aftermarket and factory parts from places like this: http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103&zenid=602b57a6852486cd8e5e533195f4ea08

Some after market parts here as well: https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=20

Those are just two examples. I actually have two FS45s and both have a lanyard take down tool, Apex sear, newer slide stops with tactile and audible reset (although those could of finally been upgraded on newer 45 models by now) and a DIY round/polish job on the striker blocks. Both of them were bought used and are far more accurate than the M&P9s I've owned. The M&P line still has the most ergonomic grip I've ever felt on any poly pistol.

· Registered
1,929 Posts
The most common aftermarket parts installed on M&P pistols seems to be trigger parts and trigger groups from APEX Tactical. I love my full size M&P45 after I replaced the factory polymer trigger with an APEX poly trigger (just the actual trigger, nothing else) and it really changed the overall feel of the pistol for me. It is one of my favorite pistols to shoot and is as accurate as my Glock 21 Gen 4.

· Registered
972 Posts
I've got a FDE M&P45 and to date, of all the .45 autos I have (and it's quite a few of them), this is the closest thing I've come to finding as my "USP-killer". No the aftermarket parts supply isn't there nor does it really need to be. The Apex trigger replacement kit and a set of tritium sights is all that is really needed with this pistol.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
I guess my question to everyone is: Is the lack of aftermarket support for M&P's a negative? Granted, it is at the very least food for thought...
Not at all. People easily forget that Glocks didn't have very much after market support till about the mid 1990s. Spare parts weren't readily available either unless you were a Glock armorer. Let's not forget either that right here in the early years of Glock Talk, Glock pistols were touted as being the best because there weren't many after market parts available because they didn't need them.

· Banned
25,596 Posts
Can't argue the ergos of the M&P line. All mine have been relaible and plenty accurate for SD work, which they are intended for. Sights and maybe an Apex trigger would be the only thing I'd do to one personally.
Have the 45C and really IF you need to do something with them, this is all you have to do. I pulled mine from the box and ran a qualification course with it. One out and that was probably my fault so the trigger is just fine for me. I put an Xpress Sight on my 9C and I do like that over the OEM sights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.