M&P 2.0 Compacts

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Folsom_Prison, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Guy at work was asking me about purchasing a new handgun, I believe this will be his first. Kind of a bad time it seems with limited stock of about everything right now.

He asked the typical what do I think about glock stuff and then about the M&P 2.0’s. Me personally after years of owning and shooting Glocks I’m kinda glocked out and have ventured into other things. As Far as the 2.0’s go I just got my first one last night with it being a shield 9 and haven’t shot it yet.

Now I’m intrigued just as he is, seems from my findings they really improved the lineup. Anybody running one of these as a carry gun ect. If so what ya got? You like it and would you ditch a glock for one?

I think he’s pretty set on one of the 45’s in compact or sub compact.

PatinAz likes this.
  2. PatinAz

PatinAz

Just got the wife a reg M&P Shield 9mm with the safety. She wanted to upgrade from a DAO S&W snubbie. She liked the reg version vs the gritty grip texture of the Shield 2.0.

My usual compact carry is either a VP9SK or G43. Never gave thought to a Shield. But after having held, cleaned, dry fired, worked, holstered, and everything short of firing her new Shield, I'm intrigued.

It fits better in my hand with the 8 rd mag than my 43 with a plus-1. The sights are nice compared to the factory 43.

If I were to have to choose between the Shield and the 43 based solely off of feel, I'd have to go with the Shield. I'll give an edge to Glock every time for ease of complete disassembly.

We'll hopefully get to shoot it soon in the next few days.

Bluescot, B C, n2g and 1 other person like this.

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I hear ya I have both shields now, the older version and the 2.0. Was wondering about the compact and sub compacts now. I don’t think he’s interested in getting a shield.

4. PatinAz

PatinAz

This one is a subcompact 3.1" barrel. Sorry, not to up and up on S&W semis.

Folsom_Prison likes this.
  5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

No worries bud lol

6. azdave

azdave

I have quite a few of the 2.0's compacts...... 3.6" & 4" 9mm's.... 4" in 40.... and the 4" in 45.
    Add in the 2.0 SubCompact as well.
    The 4" 45 compact is my current "in the hills" open carry piece, and the SubCompact is in the rotation for the "city/ccw gun."
    I say you can't go wrong with the 2.0 series.

Maccabeus, n2g and Folsom_Prison like this.
  7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

With the new compact 9 it seems to be a glock 19 twin in size, do you find the 45 to be comparable in the same compact platform?

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

My next .45 will likely be one of the M&Ps.

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I hear ya, That little shield changed me. First time out with it and a buddy who’s a diehard glock guy. We had a plate at about 25-30 yards out. I wasn’t mag dumping but had a pretty good pace. Ping ping ping ping ect. Little damn thing handled so good, was accurate and just fun to shoot.

Johnix and PatinAz like this.
  10. azdave

azdave

The 45 series M&P's are larger than the 9mm/40 cal.... in the same way a Glock 21 is to a Glock 17. Dimensionally larger in relation to the larger cartridge.
    The 45 "Compact" is really not a compact. It has the full size frame with a 4" barrel. I would never try to CCW it, but others may pull it off. It is definately a "duty" belt type of piece.
    Consider the 4" 9mm or 40 M&P compact to be similar to the Glock 19/23. It would make the best all around piece.

ETA: When it comes to the difference between the 3.6" & 4"... it really is insignificant in my opinion. I bought the 3.6" just to see if it is possible for 4/10th's of an inch to matter, and it doesn't for me... both are great.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I have a glock 17 and 30 which he’s checked out. Not sure how much he would dedicated or carry this and what not. Me personally I’ll carry a 17, not my main go to but I have no issue doing so. Go to the 30 and slide width is marginal to me, I know some people trip over this. He’s pretty similar in stature so if he really wants to carry I’ll lead him into the right direction. That said I’d bet this would be more of a HD gun.

12. DANGW

DANGW

I bought a M&P 2.0 4" .40 for cheap last year and I really like the size and the trigger. It runs 100%. The grip texture is rough. I can't really get past more than 100 rds without the thumb palm area of my support hand feeling raw from friction. I really don't shoot it much but it's hidden away in the trunk of my Camry as a bugout handgun. Those .40 M&P mags are cheap!

13. BBMW

BBMW

If you want a .45, don't bother with a compact gun. Go for the full size. .45 needs barrel length to work correctly.

slym2none likes this.
  14. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

???

I have several short barreled .45ACP pistols, Shield, Colt Officers Model, Kimber Ultra-Carry, Baeur Stinger, Brown Kobra commander size and they all work. Maybe way back when they had issues with shorter barrels, but think for the most part, the bugs have been ironed out.

15. DANGW

DANGW

Are you talking about pistol reliability or hollow point expansion?

16. BBMW

BBMW

They've likely worked the old unreliability issues with short barreled 1911s. And I would expect the Shield to be reliable from the start, since it's a ground up design.

But .45 rounds have never expanded reliably out of short barrels. 9mm and .40 are designed around 4" barrels. .45 is designed around 5". So when they get shot out of 3-3.5" barrels, they tend to not open up. .45 is a pretty low velocity round to begin with, chop 1.5-2" off the barrel, and the velocity loss is too much.

17. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

The great thing about a .45ACP round is that even if it doesn't open up, it's still .45 inches in diameter.

flyover, professor kv, J-Doo and 2 others like this.
  18. capnjim01

capnjim01

I have the .45 2.0 4" barrel and it shoots great. The grip texture is rough so I took a little fine sand paper and knocked off the sharp points. It has 4 interchangeable grips so maybe pick the one you don't think you'll use and sand it a little first. It's my night stand gun a think it's a little big for a CC.

Folsom_Prison and FullClip like this.
  19. tercel89

tercel89

I just got a Shield 45acp. The trigger is AWESOME. it's the same size as my Glock 43x . It holds 8 rds of 45. I'd go with any of the new MP 2.0 . IMG_6994.jpg

Folsom_Prison and J-Doo like this.
  20. tercel89

tercel89

The compacts and subcompacts are great. If I didn't have a G26 I'd get the MP sub compact. I am thinking on getting the compact MP 9mm 2.0 since I dont have a Glock 19 . They are the same size