M&P 2.0 Compact in 3.6” vs 4.0”?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CladderPup, Sep 16, 2020.

1. CladderPup

CladderPup

A lot of manufacturers don’t really give us an option. Beretta polymer guns tend to have shorter barrels for a given gun size. Glocks tend to have longer barrels for a given gun size. A lot of times, we’ve gotten used to either just taking whatever we can get or deciding against a model altogether.

The Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 Compact the option. You can get something more Glock-shaped, or something that looks a bit more proportioned like a fat Shield or a Beretta PX4. Does it make any difference to you?

My thinking is that I want the smaller gun because it’s that much more compact and therefore easier to carry. How do they shoot? How reliable are they? Anyone shot both?

n2g likes this.
  2. B C

B C

n2g and kahrcarrier like this.

3. redneck ron

redneck ron Displaced Hillbilly

I have both the 3.6” and 4” Compact in 9mm. Both are very accurate and have been flawless. Like BC, I slightly prefer the 3.6”. Just feels better balanced in hand.

n2g and B C like this.
  4. KeithC

KeithC

I have a 2.0 Compact 4”. It has never malfunctioned. Had a 1.0, and the trigger IS way better on the 2.0. When gun sales were normal, the M&Ps could be found at bargain prices.

n2g, B C and Glockdude1 like this.
  5. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

I've had both the full size 4.25" and the 3.6". I liked the 3.6" but found it to be a bit big for carry compared to my G43. And the 4.25" was a better range pistol. But, if you like a compact double stack for carry, the 3.6 is a really good shooter. I may give the M&P subcompact a try.

B C and Gfive45 like this.
  6. arndog123

arndog123

I have both and they’ve been reliable. The 3.6 just feels better/balanced in my hands. I’ve even pocket carried it a couple times. :exercise:
    [​IMG]

n2g, cbetts1 and B C like this.
  7. PeterG

PeterG

For me the answer was two guns, a Shield9 and M&P9C 2.0 4”

The Shield with 3.1” barrel is ideal for IWB, I view my 9C as more of a sidearm.

Yeah I can and do Carry 9C IWB but the Shield is a gun once I put on I forget I’m carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n2g and B C like this.
  8. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I have not fired a 4", but own a 3.6" 2.0 and it is a great shooting compact. It's a tossup between it and my Gen 5 G19.

n2g and B C like this.
  9. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I have the 4" because the 3.6" wasn't made yet. tom. :cowboy:

n2g and B C like this.
  10. tercel89

tercel89

I have the M&P9 2.0 in the 4.25 barrel. Its just a tad longer than the G19 and works great. The grips angle and feel with the small grip insert is SWEET.

Resized_20200908_123621 (3).jpeg

n2g and PeterG like this.
  11. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I have an APX Centurion/Compact with a 3.7in barrel, which is very similar to the 3.6in 9C. Just my opinion, but I think the slightly shorter barrel balances better and shoots flatter than the longer barrels compact guns. Now, if you want to hang a light off the rail the longer barrels guns will provide you more options without making any rail key modifications.

From a carry perspective I don’t think you gain anything from the shorter barrel, in fact I find it to be a detriment. The grip of the gun wants to “roll-out” from the waistband, especially if you carry appendix and have any tactical belly fat. The barrel length is pretty moot unless you OWB, and even then the .4in barrel length difference is pretty moot.

If I could have my perfect APX for carry it would have a full-size slide/barrel with the centurion (15+1) grip length. You have to decide what you want to use the gun for and if you want to hang lights on it. Perhaps you’re perfectly content with using a PL Mini or modifying a rail key- Go for it.

If I was you, I’d go with the 4 inch model (or skip and just go full size) and pick up a Shield to go with it. (If you stick a full-size M&P in your pants IWB you can conceal it easier than you may think.)

12. CladderPup

CladderPup

How would a shorter slide be a detriment?

13. cbetts1

cbetts1

Interesting triggers. Don't look like Sigma triggers.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 3:16 PM
  14. arndog123

arndog123

The stock triggers are fine but Apex triggers are better. :cheers:

cbetts1 and Gfive45 like this.
  15. cciman

cciman MacGyver

The difference is minimal to actually matter from a carry ergonomics standpoint. I don't get why they bothered. The logic escapes me. (As does the logic for Beretta to offer the APX in Carry/Centurion- which share the same size upper, but set apart from the full size. They should have offered Centurion as a full size slide and barrel with a compact grip).
    The heel of the grip is what determines how "concealable" (how much it sticks out from under the shirt when you bend or turn). Within limits, the barrel length is not going to affect concealability.

Having a longer barrel gives more velocity, longer sight radius, heavier barrel/slide -- in this case the difference is too minimal to really be perceptible without lab instruments.