LWD, Glock, Ghost 3.5# Connector Review

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tom in Ohio, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Tom in Ohio

Tom in Ohio

I just purchased a Lone Wolf Distributors new 3.5# connector. I bought it to put into a new G26 that I should receive soon. I currently have a G21 with a Ghost 3.5# Rocket. I have also tried a Glock 3.5# connector in my G21. Of the three, I much prefer the trigger pull that the Ghost Rocket provides. Both the Glock and LWD connectors still had the "two stage" feel of the stock connector with noticable stacking. The Ghost was a smooth, consistent (and lighter) pull throughout the trigger's movement.I was hoping to save a little money going with the LWD connector, but now I will send it back in exchange for another Ghost Rocket. YMMV

2. kraigster414

kraigster414

Each to his own. The feedback on the newly-designed LW 3.5 drop-in connector has been extremely positive. I have tried them all (the drop-in connectors that is) including the drop-in Ghost 3.5 (the Ghost 3.5 Rocket is not a drop-in connector but requires minor alteration to the trigger control tab) and found the LW to be best. On average it delivers the crispest break and results in a trigger that is between a quarter and a half pound lighter than any of the other drop-in 3.5 connector I have tried.

Save money on connectors?? Too important a part and the difference amounts to a few bucks at best. In fact you owe it to yourself to try different makes. Bottom line Tom, go with what you like best. :)

3. Armed Infidel

Armed Infidel ~ Old Warrior ~

I just bought 2 of the new LW 3.5 drop-in connectors, one for my G-23 and one for my G-27. I am very happy with both! :supergrin:

4. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Interesting.
    I've tried both the "old" LWD and the "new" LWD and found neither of them to be "drop-in" parts.
    The out of battery tab dragged on the slide on both models causing the gun to fail to go into battery or at least be sluggish.
    No good.

5. BayouSlide

BayouSlide

I had the same experience as J.P. with an early version LW 3.5 connector and was less than impressed, but a later revised version they sent me works just great. And the one Charlie Vanek put into the drop-in trigger kit I bought from him a few months back is so good I doubt I'll ever bother fiddling with another Glock OEM 3.5# connector.

Charlie's trigger work is part of the magic, no doubt, but the LW has a much crisper feel overall.

I had dropped a Glock 3.5# into a stock G17 for a recent GSSF match. After struggling for a couple of practice sessions, I found I actually preferred the "less mushy" break of an ordinary Glock 5# connector if you can't use a lighter striker spring and other trigger mods.

As always, YMMV.

6. kraigster414

kraigster414

You are the first person I have ever heard of having a problem with the new LW 3.5 connector - that it was not completely drop-in and second that the connector "tab" was dragging on the slide. The latter did occur with a certain percentage of earlier design LW 3.5 connectors. Did you contact LWD?

7. JR

JR CEO Lone Wolf Distributors Moderator Millennium Member

The early LWD connectors had a few complaints (very few) but we took it to heart and made a couple changes. Thank you one and all for your input because once we made the changes we produced a superior connector. You can identify the new style LWD connectors by looking at the side cut relief, it is almost double that of the original.

Unfortunately there is no real way to measure or compare one connector to another. Believe me I would love to throw my hat in that ring if it were scientifically possible to measure one from the other.

No, what we are talking about is how YOU feel YOU like it. The true measure will simply come down to the individual and is COMPLETELY up to his interpretation of what is good and what is "not so good".

I am positive 99% of the shooters out there would love to have the worthless connector JP mentioned. Yes 99% is a true number because we received less than 1% complaints about the early connector. We would like to win them all but truthfully it really is not a goal to shoot for. 99% is a good number to shoot for.

8. D. Manley

D. Manley

Yep. I'm running the LWD connectors in all my Glocks (all meaning, defensive and range guns) & have installed them in several guns belonging to others. I have not seen a single hitch in any of them and combined with the requisite smoothing of other parts, every other owner was thrilled with the result.

JR is spot-on about being unable to accurately quantify parts comparisons. The difference in "feel" is not only subjective but can vary a surprising amount from gun to gun even with, seemingly identical parts & polish.

9. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Interestingly,I am NOT the first person thaat i have heard of who had this problem....in fact thee is one in a post above this one.
    I originally purchased an "old" LWD from a local gunstore where three IDPA pros had the exact connector installed in their guns.
    They advised me that it needed to be "ground down" to function properly.
    I ignored the advice because it was suppoed to be a "drop-in" part and my gun didn't function properly with it.
    I mentioned it here and it turned into a pissing match where a quote was made that 1% of people had problems....well I personally know five....me...three in the gunstore....another guy....so that is a 100% failure rate as far as I'm concerned.
    I was told by LWD that the slide dragging was "not a problem".....ummm...okay.....
    I also heard on here of the LWD having other issues but cannot remember exactly what they were...mis-fires or doubling, I believe and those were told to be a "1%" problem.

After the "new" LWD connector hit the market,LWD was at the big gunshow selling them and I bought two.
    I took them home and both still had slide drag issues....I tried them in five Glocks...2 G22s,2 G17s, and a G19.
    I returned them to LWD's booth the next day and explained the problem to which they appeared dismayed.
    They promtly returned my money and explained that they had heard of no problems with these "new" connectors but they had with the old ones.The same old ones that "were not a problem"

Charlie Vanek says he uses them now and they are great but he may "tune" them as well by grinding them.
    I wouldn't use one as is.

*Before anyone starts in.....
    I'm more than competent enough to work on Glocks without damaging parts.

10. JR

JR CEO Lone Wolf Distributors Moderator Millennium Member

JP: You must be the guy that returned the 2 connectors at the Tulsa gun show last month. I told you at that time you were the first to complain regarding the new and improved connector line. Interesting that when I tried to engage you as to exactly what the problem was you were more than reluctant, in fact you were almost unapproachable. I seriously would have appreciated your insight had you been even remotely cooperative.

When you told me the connector failed in 5 guns I was astonished. What are the odds that the same guy could pick up 2 random connectors and have it fail in 5 guns? You should know I personally tried the connectors in a couple of our guns right there at the show and could not even remotely duplicate the problem. Yes I simply wrote you off as a chronic complainer. Nothing personal but if I cant duplicate the problem and you are uncooperative in explaining, what other conclusion would I come up with?

Bottom line is our connectors have a HUGE following. Too bad your opinion is not included in that crowd.
    FYI: We have sold well over 10,000 of these connectors…….received far less than 100 complaints…….that would be less than 1% wouldn’t it?
    I also find it hard to believe you and (all) your buddies at the local range make up a very large percentage of this 1%. Interesting indeed.

11. llathem

llathem Guest

Well I reckon I dwell in the 99% category, JR. I love them. I have 3.5 connectors in all 5 of my Glocks. My favorite set-up is a 3.5 LWD connector, 4 lb. Wolff striker spring, and 9mm LWD barrel in my G22. Not for carry, however it's not failed to go bang yet and has the best trigger I've personally felt on a Glock. :thumbsup:

12. kraigster414

kraigster414

I think there must be bad Karma in Oklahoma. Either that or the dust is affecting the integrity of the metal causing the LW connector to buckle rendering it a fitted part. Note:I am not an metallurgist, I just play one at Glock Talk.

Having used the new LW 3.5 connector now in 5 different Glocks with zero problems (and in each case, the connector was completely drop-in), I am very surprised that one person could continuously experience difficulties. Keep in mind, by this time, I would venture to say that hundreds/thousands of these things have been sold, and from my vantage point the feedback has been overwelmingly positive.

13. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

JR,
    That is pure unadulterated B.S.

There is simply no other way to put it.

I explained the problem in detail to you right there at the Tulsa show.
    I even explained that with the connectors installed that the Glocks failed the "vertical recoil spring test" because they were dragging.
    You responded to me that "Yes you were familiar with that test" and you even told me that you were actually the "inventor" of that test.

You seemed very suprised and concerned that I had problems with them and replied that you'd like to see the gun I tried them in.

That's when I told you that I had tried them in 5 different Glocks with the same results.

I was never standoffish or reluctant to explain anything to you...WE HAD A CONVERSATION ABOUT IT RIGHT THERE.

a conversation,by the way,when you told me that the "slide drag" problem DID EXIST in the "old" connectors but you hadn't heard about it in these "new" ones yet.

You then talked to your partner and said you were setting those connectors aside to test later and you promptly returned my money and then we stood there and talked about those Advantage Tactical sights you had on display....you even answered some questions I had about them.(as well as some other items you had for sale)

You were extremely cordial during the initial sale,the return, and in answering my questions about the AT sights,Barrels,and MGW sight pushers.

And now you try to impugn my credibility by suggesting that "my buddies" comprise the 1%

The guys at the pro shop WARNED me about the "old" LWD connector that I bought because they all had to grind theirs down to make them work properly.....as i mentioned in the above post.
    They had not yet tried the "new" LWD connector because it wasn't on the market at that point.

Now you are suggesting that I am either a "chronic complainer" or that I'm lying, or that I do not know what I'm doing.

Given the problems I and others had with the "old" LWD connectors, I wouldn't have even bothered trying the "new" ones at the gunshow but I was excited to try them since I read here that the "bugs" had been worked out........bugs you claimed weren't a problem with the "old" connectors (yet now we find out that they were.

So....even though I had bad luck with the "old" connectors and dealt with you double charging my credit card without consent on an order that I never received about two years ago**...I was still very willing to give the "new" connectors a whirl and bought them directly from you at the show.

Now you have outright lied about our dealings and conversation at the gunshow to paint me in a less than credible light in order to protect your reputation.
    Very unprofessional,JR

I'm not particularly interested in continuing to lock horns with you but if you continue to spew B.S. and lies about our dealings,I will certainly accomadate you.

You obviously have a very loyal following here on GT and that must be great for your business.I'm not out to destroy your business and I do not work for any of your competitors but I will report my findings when asked.
    I tell the truth.

**After giving my opinion of LWD in threads where people solicited them,JR finally sent the parts I ordered but never received.
    I feel it was in an effort to just hush me up because whenever asked by forum members,I simply relayed my less than positive experiences with them.
    I feel it could have been solved easier than that if they would have simply sent my $9 (including shipping) worth of parts.

14. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Again,several of us had problems with the "old" LWD connectors.
    I reported it here and it turned into a pissing match,IIRC.
    I was the only one I know that had problems with 2 of the "new" connectors.Just to make sure....I tried both of them in 5 Glocks before returning them to JR and discussing the problem with him (which he is now denying)

15. kraigster414

kraigster414

16. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Me too,it's a great resource to find varying opinions.

17. llathem

llathem Guest

Me too! :rofl:

18. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Bad Karma?
    Naw...we're a prety decent bunch out here. ;)

You've tried them in five glocks and I tried two in five Glocks we each got different results.
    that certainly doesn't mean I'm not telling the truth.
    In fact,as far as I know,there is only one person in this thread who isn't telling the truth......

19. kraigster414

kraigster414

Just keep the locusts away from your guns J.P. I swear they're nibbling on your connectors. Something right out of the "Grapes of Wrath."

If you say you've had problems, I believe you've had problems.:) But I've just put another 100 rounds through my G27 (converted to .357 Sig) with a LW 3.5 connector installed, and it performed as usual perfectly (then again, nothing is perfect, change that to "just fine").

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: So, just out of curiosity.

(1) What is the generation breakdown among the 5 Glocks that these 2 LWD connectors didn't work in? Do these pistols range from, say, 1st to 3rd generation?

(2) Whose connectors are installed in these 5 Glocks now?

(3) If you randomly swapped connectors among these 5 Glocks, now, would you experience a similar problem?

And, for JR @ LWD:

(4) Have you had a chance to test these two mystery connectors yet? I, for one, would certainly like to know the result(s)?

I'm sorry; but, 2 connectors and 5 Glocks just doesn't sound right; and, yes, I'm one of the people who had problems with the old LWD connector. The new ones have been flawless, though.

I'm, also, open-minded enough to recognize that everybody who manufactures connectors - including the Glock factory - has turned out a few problem units. You don't have to read this board for years in order to discover that every manufacturer has had its share of faulty out-of-specification connectors. I, myself, had a Glock factory connector that turned my pistol into an amazingly exciting (and completely unpredictable) handgun. :)

J.P. If you know Glocks as well as you say you do, then, how about stopping with the crybaby routine? According to you, you're knowledgeable enough to know that nobody's connectors are perfect - It's a tricky part to mass produce with 100% accuracy. JR gave you your money back, so why all the sniveling? Smart guy that you are, you must realize that the same thing could happen to you again with anybody else's connector that you buy - including the factory!

:headscratch: I just don't get where you're coming from?