lw conversion barrel. recoil spring needed?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by theflatlander, Apr 27, 2012.

1. theflatlander

theflatlander

I bought my G23 Gen4 with the idea in mind to convert over to 9mm once I had more money saved up. I have been pricing out ammo and buying 1000 rounds of 9mm compared to .40 i will save about 67 bucks. I plan on shooting atleast a 1000 rounds every month.

I believe I will be ordering the 9mm converision barrel from lone wolf this friday along with 3 9mm mags. I have read they have about a 1 percent failure rate to feed with cycling on cheaper 115 grain ammo. The suggested way to fix is use box of good high power ammo and if that doesnt fix it drop the recoil spring down to 11lbs.

For those of you who use a converision barrel have you had any issues and have you changed out your recoil spring? Im just wondering because if im most likely going to have this problem i want to order the recoil spring and guide rod right away. Also what brand do you suggest for the guide rod and spring? I would like a good guide rod that the spring can be changed out on also.

thanks for your time.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Just trade for a 9mm. It is foolish to purchase a pistol just for the purpose of converting it to something else. As far as personal defense goes, a shot to the heart with a 9mm is equally deadly as any other caliber.

Internal Gen4 differences include recoil spring assembly, extractor, spring loaded bearing, firing pin and ejector.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

3. ae708

ae708

Lone Wolf also sells a Gen 3 type single spring RSA and a bushing to adapt the spring to the Gen 4. I have a LW 9mm barrel and their spring assy. and have shot hundreds of reload 9mm since I got it. That said, I've also used the Gen 4 RSA with the 9mm barrel but I think the Gen 3 spring handles the brass ejection a bit better. I went to the range 2 days ago and shot 250 9mm reloads without a single malfunction. The whole barrel and RSA is cheap enough for you to try it......you'll probably like it. Plus you still have the option to change to your .40 barrel and spring if you want to.

4. hotrodcummins12v

hotrodcummins12v

How is it foolish to want more firepower for self-defense? When your life is on the line, a heart shot might not be as easy as you think. Even with a good heart shot, people rarely die immediately like in the movies. Or for instance a hiker being attacked by a bear, wolf, coyote, wild dog, or puma, heart shots may be impossible and you want as much damage per shot as possible.

I had the same problem with my G27 Gen4 with LWD barrel. 2 FTE'S in 17 rounds. I didn't get arround to trying different ammo yet or ordering a spring as G27 Gen 4 springs are still pretty rare. I haven't resolved this issue yet. Hope this helps.

Sub Club 828
    1911 Club 828
    Outdoor Hub Mobile

5. DannyR

It is imperative to practice with whatever you plan to use for defense. If you want a cheap plinker, get a Ruger or Buckmark.

6. ae708

ae708

My Ruger wasn't any cheaper than my Glock.

7. DannyR

A new, basic Ruger 22/45 is far cheaper than any new Glock.

8. RJHUB

RJHUB

I use the LWD 40-9 in my G24 and it has been flawless thru 400rnds. I was going to try it for a while before changing RSA to LW with different spring weights.
    It does not eject as far as with .40 but it does function.

Mine is a Gen3. If problems do occur I will just get the new LW RSA.

Good luck. Oh yeah, I have been using Federal 115gr from walmart $19.99/100.

9. hotrodcummins12v

hotrodcummins12v

And I agree that practice with the same ammo is key. I do practice with .40 often. But when it comes down to it, its expensive to shoot for leisure. I'd rather practice plinking with my 27 with a 9mm barrel to keep me more familiar with the characteristics of the gun I will be using than a totally different gun. A conversion barrel is only $100 and I can use the same holster. Cost effective. A new gun and holster is not. Many people convert 1911's to 22's for the purpose of retaining grip and trigger memory without spending a lot on ammo. Those are the keys to shooting accurately, and as long as you are familiar with the heavier recoil, you'll shoot just as well with both. For me, I don't need to buy another gun to shoot for fun. I prefer the cheaper route.

Sub Club 828
    1911 Club 828
    Outdoor Hub Mobile

10. bruzer

bruzer

I use the 40-9 Lone Wolf conversion a lot with the G22. Using 9mm 115 grain target ammo and the stock .40 RSA it did have stove pipes. Absolutely no issues using +P 9mm ammo. For $20 I got the Glock Gen 4 G17 RSA and no more issues using 9mm 115 grain target ammo. Good luck and stay safe.
    Mike

11. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

I have a LW 40-9 barrel for my G23 Gen 3 and it's been 100% with over 12,000rds. with the stock (used) .40cal recoil spring.

Spyder

12. KenB22

KenB22

I have done this for 3 different .40 GLocks although they were all Gen 3's. 1-Go put a few 100 rounds of .40 through the gun to make sure it works fine stock. 2-Go buy the LW 40-9 conversion barrel. 3-Go buy some AE 147gr ammo. If you can shoot some +p, all the better. 4-try the 9mm with the stock .40 RSA. It may work fine. It will work better with hotter ammo and with a worn in RSA. 5-If it doesn't work how you want, go buy a Gen 4 G19 RSA and use that with the conversion barrel.

I almost always have an issue or 2 with low powered ammo and a new G23 Gen 3 RSA. After I shoot some .40 and buy some hotter ammo, it begins to function 100% again. And I do mean 100%.

13. ArLEOret

ArLEOret

I have a 40/9 barrel in my G23,27 & 22. Changed barrels and mags only, no springs. Flawless in all weapons, no hiccups. $aved much dinero. Stay Safe.

14. BBSRQ

BBSRQ

If you find anyone who has them in stock, please post it. I can't find anyone who expects to have them before late May/June, including LWD.

15. ArLEOret

ArLEOret

You might try Dillon for LWD barrels. 1-800-223-4570
    Stay Safe!

16. theflatlander

theflatlander

thanks buddy. atleast their is some people like minded as myself. I was researching about guide rods and I believe I want to guy a tungsten after market rod with the bushing to use on a gen 4. I was wondering what weight spring you like to use with the 115 grain 9mm bullets and also what weight spring for the 180 grain .40 bullets?

17. theflatlander

theflatlander

already have one home skillet. dont see the point in buying another handgun when i can have one that shoots two calibers for paying a 3rd of the price for a new handgun

18. barth

barth

For what model Glock?

19. G19NC

G19NC

I have Gen 4 23 and got the LWD 40-9 barrel last week and put 1000 rounds through it. It seemed like a really tight fit but over 1200 rounds and shoots just like my Gen 4 19.

20. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

Mine shoots just fine with stock 40cal spring. ;)

[​IMG]

CW