close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LV court sooting has spawned the brass to rethink?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by mixflip, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mixflip

mixflip

Some of you may remember a while back I complained about working with some officers that choose not to wear their vests, they choose not to carry with a round chambered and kept their guns on safe even with no round in the chamber!!!!! Yes I am still irritated that these folks are my back up at times. For all the non LEO's out there thinking that this cant be true. It is an ugly truth about some LEO's. Thankfully they are few in numbers.

I have complained to supervision and I got the typical answer from the brass. Per policy we cannot force an officer to wear their body armor nor chamber a round nor carry their gun off safe and ready to fire...due to legal liability. (keep reading it gets worse)

Believe it or not, it is actually not frowned upon by the brass because they feel there is less of a chance for an unintentional discharge (the new lingo vs the older - accidental discharge and negligent discharge)

WTF? right???

Well after heated arguments that made it all the way up to the Chief just last week, (I actually thought I was about to get written up for insubordination...lol)...this federal court shooting happens... and guess what the brass is "formally" asking us to do now?

Yes... these guys actually asked everyone to wear their vests, chamber a round and keep their guns "off safe". The very thing I was arguing about just last week. Now, its not policy still but they wanted it to be clear that they made an effort to encourage everyone to do so, probably to cover their butts?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

So does the brass making them do these things make them good officers now?

Seems to me if they only do them to comply with the admins orders they are still the same complacent incompetent cops they were before.

I have worked with them and been in situations where I was was more worried about my safety from the cop behind me than the armed bad guy in front of me.

3. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I never carry with a round chambered.

I also don't keep my mags loaded.

Shooting a human being is a significant thing, and should be done only after careful deliberation and consideration. I find that stopping to load my mags gives me the pause I need to consider the totality of the circumstances and perhaps find another solution to the situation.

4. Dragoon44

Rookie! everyone knows that before a confrontation you UNLOAD your duty gun and go into battle with your BUG!

:tongueout::rofl:

5. matt86

matt86 Oink Oink

I leave my ammunition in my patrol car so I don't have to worry about a NG.

6. imaguy3

imaguy3

Our Sgt. holds onto all our ammo. If we need it, we need to radio for the Sgt. to come and issue us the ammo. Also with the spottiness of the radio and limited staffing we may not get it right away...

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Issue revolvers... problem solved. :whistling:

Jack

8. Gangrel

Gangrel

You guys are running some serious negligent supervision issues.

We call the sergeant, who pow-wows with the other sergeants on the supervisor channel. If they agree, one of them goes to the station to pick up the lieutenant. They generally have to wait for the new supercool youtube video he's watching to be over, then ask him to go unlock the armory.

Once they get that together, they'll head up to the scene (with a break at 7-11 to get a drink and mull it over a bit more)

9. CAcop

CAcop

To refereence an earlier thread maybe this is a good argument for standardization of firearms. That way when the HUA cannon fodder bottom feeders get taken out you have more than enough ammo to pick off their lifeless bodies because they were too stupid to take care of themselves.

10. Dragoon44

But...But...but... I thought those of us who were prepared were supposed to throw OUR ammo to THEM when they ran out?

11. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

On the serious side!

"asked everyone to wear their vests, chamber a round"

Most of you know where I retired from. We were "asked" to do very little!
    We were TOLD to do certain things, if we didn't disciplinary action would soon follow, getting more severe with each occurrence! I can't imagine being asked to carry a properly loaded firearm! Everyone is trained, practices and utilizes the same basics. I find it hard to comprehend working a dangerous part of the city and the first thing I have to do in a gunfight is chamber a round!!

But I digress and am probably overly critical of other officers and departments. Don't put the boots to me.

12. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

And here I am trying to figure out how to build a belt-fed handgun............

13. mixflip

mixflip

Trust me its maddening and I am currently looking for a new job. I had no idea this type of "stuff" was going on when I came to this unit. I talk to officers from other agencies all the time and they cant believe it either. I just hope the grass is greener on the other side of the fence when I do leave.

14. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

WWMTPDD???

Seriously I cannot believe any stooopidvisor would put up with someone not chambering a round, I would write them up repeatedly until fired.

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

We give the bad guy a gun and ammo and ask him to shoot himself.

16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Anytime a bad guy pulls a gun, the proper course of action is post the situation in GNG and heed the advice of the battle-hardened experts.

17. blueiron

blueiron

HA!

It isn't.

18. blueiron

blueiron

'

Too drastic for us.

We seek a complaint from the county attorney and if it is forthcoming, we politely request their surrender.

That's the CALEA way!

19. minuteman32

minuteman32 NRA & GOA Life

When I was issued my gun/ammo, I got a box w/ 46 rounds in it! 15 in each of the 3 mags & one in the chamber. The idea to not carry fully loaded was never brought up, even by the most NSF's (non-shootin' fellas) in the academy, but forty six rounds!?

20. Dragoon44

"You have the right to shoot yourself,
    If you cannot afford to shoot yourself a gun and ammunition will be provided to you at no charge.
    You can decide at anytime to exercise this right, and not continue living.

You have the right to have a coroner present if you wish.

Do you understand each of these rights I have explained to you?

Having these rights in mind do you wish to shoot yourself right now?"