close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lurking, waiting, hoping

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by Kilted Cossack, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Kilted Cossack

Kilted Cossack

Like the title says, I'm lurking, waiting, hoping. I've always been a .45 fan. .45 Colt, .45 ACP, heck, .45-70. I like the balance provided by .45 rounds: decent ballistics at moderate pressures.

I've become a fan of Glocks. Good solid pistols at good solid prices.

I want a .45 GAP, probably a G38.

But man oh man, do I ever want decent blasting ammo at a reasonable price. I want Georgia Arms to get past the component shortage, and offer their 185 grain/875 fps canned heat ammo.

I wait, and I lurk, and I hope. I figure there's a G38, a 4th Gen, in my future. The idea is so wonderful, for me it fulfills the promise of the .40 S&W without the downside (i.e., pressure). Got to see the ammo in stock, before I'll buy a G38 I want to be able to confidently order a thousand or two thousand rounds of ball ammo for a decent price.

I'll be honest: sometimes I've carried a 1911 or a G21 (mine, cut down to G30 butt dimensions) with hardball, or with 200 grain SWCs. I've done that with 9mm as well (well, you understand me: 115 or 124 grain FMJ) but I've never felt as comfortable with it. Maybe I'm a fool (I'm a fool I'm a fool!) but I trust a .45 more with hardball/softball than I trust a 9mm with hardball.

I do trust premium 9mm hollowpoints, but dang I hate paying for them. We've come a long way since the 1986 Miami Massacre.

I want a G38, oh boy howdy. Got to see the ammo, though. I made the mistake of falling in love with the 6.5x55mm back when no one except Norma loaded it, and Norma is apparently Swedish for "really 'spensive."

2. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

:rofl: I have a Porsche Cayman S that I bought used. When I tell people it's an 'S' model, I often say that I think that stands for 'Spensive.

The G38 is a fine carry gun if you prefer .45s, and GREAT ammo like the Speer Gold Dot is available for it.

But if you reload, ammo costs go down to about one-third, which allows you to shoot a bunch and/or shoot better ammo. I have and love a pair of 37s that I shoot (very poorly*) in USPSA competition; they are a pleasure--instead of a test of endurance--to shoot a bunch in a day.
    * I tell people I'm in no danger of shooting my way out of Class D.

3. amazingphotos

amazingphotos

As much as I appreciate GAP Glocks, I wish training ammo was available at prices comparable to more "popular" calibers. I can and do reload but it is hard to find time when I have so many hungry 45-70's that need frequent doses of black powder (Winchester Single Shot, Sharps 1878, Siamese Mauser, Remington Rolling Block, Marlin 1895, and BFR revolver).

4. Kilted Cossack

Kilted Cossack

I do reload, and I don't mind reloading. I do hate chasing brass, though!

5. Kilted Cossack

Kilted Cossack

Marlin Guide Gun (the old, ported one), Ruger No. 1-S.

I'll stock up on the Georgia Arms stuff if it ever makes it back onto the production line.

6. Lotsa Glocks

Lotsa Glocks

When I ordered 1K rounds of canned Heat, it wasn't in stock and they couldn't say when I might expect it. It arrived at my door about 3 weeks after ordering it. I was a happy camper! :supergrin:

7. Kilted Cossack

Kilted Cossack

Lotsa:

How'd you like the Heat?

8. Lotsa Glocks

Lotsa Glocks

It has worked very well for me, in fact, I save all my brass and will reload it when I get set up for reloading. It has only been fired once previously so should be good for 8-10 reloadings from what I have read. GA is a quality producer from what I have seen. I have bought 2000 rounds (1K 9mm and 1K .45 GAP) and will buy from them again if the reloading thing doesn't work out for me.

9. amazingphotos

amazingphotos

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Since their advertised velocity with 185 grain bullets is less than Speer's for 200 grain, I was concerned that it might not have enough recoil for reliable function.

10. Kilted Cossack

Kilted Cossack

Good news! One day soon, then . . . .

11. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

To be sure, GA CH is a soft-shooting round, but I've never had problems with it.

12. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I just bought 1k rds of Remington 230 grn 990 fps from Chealer than Dirt for $410 delivered (+-)

I also bught a case of 1k Speer Gold Dot 200grn JHPs for $440 delivered on Gun Broker. Not a bad way to build up a load of brass.

13. Electric Porkchop

Electric Porkchop

i have a like new g37 for sale, pm me if interested