Lumia 950 XL smartphone has liquid cooling

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Oct 6, 2015.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    http://www.cnet.com/pictures/microsoft-lumia-950-xl-pictures/ Get a first glimpse of the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL (pictures)

Will update when more is posted. Looking interesting.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

2. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver Platinum Member

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-reveals-the-lumia-950-and-950-xl/

5. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver Platinum Member

Definitely an interesting device. Kind of a laptop PC that fits in the pocket. :cool:

6. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

mrmedina likes this.
  7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

New Surface products out too.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

mrmedina likes this.
  8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

The current generation of phones are ludicrously fast/capable. This is a great example of one way to make good use of that speed, at least in theory. We'll see how it works out in practice.

Unfortunately, my guess is that these Windows phones will be mere blips in the marketplace, like those that came before. MS just hasn't managed to create a market for their stuff. It's unfortunate, I think having a third valid option to iOS and Android would be great for the mobile market in the long run.

By contrast, MS has done a great job with the Surface Pro, after the Surface RT debacle. I don't have a specific need atm, but I'd own a Surface pro 3/4 in a heartbeat if I had a matching need. I don't think the niche it fills between an ultrabook and true tablet is a huge market, but MS has it nailed quite nicely, and it's strongly differentiated from (and presumably superior to, at least for some users) Apple's products in the similar space, the iPad Pro and 12" Macbook.

9. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

I'm VERY curious how the liquid cooling works.

JMag likes this.
  10. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

IIRC, the liquid cooling setup for the Surface Pro 3 (which was supposedly the starting point for the new phone's cooling) just has a couple of liquid-filled copper heat pipes leading from the SoC to the fan. While I have no specific information, I'd imagine the Lumia has a liquid-filled heat pipe, maybe going to the case or frame to act as a larger heat sink?

Hard to imagine they'd have room/power for a proper phase-change cooler, or a moving-liquid radiator, though those engineers come up with some darn clever stuff.

I do wonder a bit about the octo-core phone rigs - it's a great marketing concept, and for a small subset of tasks (rendering video, photo enhancements, etc) truly does add a lot of power.

However, My tendency based on experience with a wide variety of tech products is that most people would get a LOT more day-to-day value out of a faster/more-efficient dual- or quad-core setup. Since phones are mostly doing just a couple things at a time, I'm not sure you really get your money's worth out of octo-core.

Ultimately, a lot depends on some pretty esoteric interactions between the chip design, software, hardware controllers, etc., so it can be hard to predict how the specs translate to the user experience.

11. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I've been waiting for a device that can connect to a monitor & keyboard and become a full blown PC when you want it to, so I like this in a way..... Except that it is a Windows PC, and especially that is is a Windows phone.

When they have this sort of thing in an Android device that becomes a Linux PC, or in an Apple device that becomes an like an iOS Mac, and when it connects to the mouse, keyboard & monitor wirelessly, then I'll want one. Having to lug all that docking hardware is a deal killer for me.

I think what I want is coming soon enough, and Windows on my phone is a deal killer I will not back down on.

12. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Ok, watch the whole thing. Or you can go to 2:20 mins, and you'll see a exploded view of how it cools plus narrators explanation.