Lucky Range Report

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Paul_J, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Paul_J

Paul_J

I should have bought a lottery ticket! I got a call to go to the range with some old friends and just as I got my AR sighted in @50yds I saw a butterfly actually land on my target. I laughed at first at the thought of actually trying to shoot it. Like I said, I should have bought a lottery ticket. For some of you I'm sure this would have been easy but for me this was a real feat. Thankfully I had four witnesses as well as several range officers!

[​IMG]

2. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

That's Big Pimpin'!!!

Love those "once in a life time" chances that actually work out.

One day as a young man, while walking home from work, I was chewing gum that was all used up. I was comming up on a man-hole cover in the street, that had 6-8 thumb-sized holes in a circular pattern around it....just big enough for small ball of used gum to fit through.

From about 20 feet or so I took my shot while walking, and I'll be damned if that ball of chewing gum didn't go right into the hole I was aiming for.

Weird how some of stuff happens.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

3. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

What did he ever do to you?

4. cessnastud

cessnastud

5. SigFTW

SigFTW

Dang Paul what a shot!! I bet your son was high-fiving you!!

6. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Shooting flies is one of my favorite things to do

If you've got an accurate rifle and feel like a challenge you should give it a try

Just get some honey and some cardboard and put small drops of honey all around your target. Hitting them at 25 yards is very doable, 50 yards is a much bigger challenge. 75 and 100 yards is a seriously tough shot, you'll need a ton of skill, a very accurate rifle and a little luck to make it

7. bac1023

bac1023

I've seen people spray their targets with lemonade as well to attract flies. Fun stuff.

8. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl::rofl:

9. Paul_J

Paul_J

You should have seen the teeth on that thing! :rofl:

Yeah Dave, Trey as well as Robert, Doug and Mike got a good laugh out of that shot.

10. Caver 60

Caver 60

My luckiest shot happened about 35 years ago. We were shooting running deer targets at 100 yards on our local rifle range. Normally everybody used a centerfire rifle. After the formal shoot was over I asked the range master if I could try it with my iron sighted Ruger 44 mag. Normally they wouldn't let you use handguns on that shoot, because most people would just shoot the moving target frame to pieces with misses.

The range master knew me and knew I was a pretty good shot. So he said OK. The Ruger was sighted in at 50 yards, so I had to hold the front sight up and of course lead the proper amount to hit the moving target. First try I got a triangle about 1 1/2 feet on a side, with two good hits in the front of the body and one miss right under the heart.

Second try the guy running the targets called us on the field telephone and said 'you guys come down here. You're not going to believe this.' There were three 44 holes in the eye of the life size deer target that could have been covered with a silver dollar. Everybody else had been shooting 30 cal or smaller, so it wasn't just a case of target pasters had fallen off.

Everybody was congratulating me, but I said 'I missed, I was trying to hit the heart lung area.' Naturally I didn't try again, after that kind of luck.

11. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I was shooting at a used/empty refrigerant tank out at my cousin's farm. I didn't have a range finder so I paced it off @ 485 paces. The tank was about 24" tall and 10" around. I took 2 shots with my .308 700VS and figure 8'd them. I had the gun zero'd @ 200 yards and "Kentucky windaged" them for my POAim. Two touching rounds at what I am calling 475 yards. I didn't fire a third for fear of messing up a once in a lifetime group. My dad called me chicken ***** for the rest of the day for not taking that 3rd shot.

12. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Looks like a modern art painting......

or, during my last visit to the VA clinic, when the psychologist held up a card and asked me "what does this make you think of?" :embarassed:

13. DonD

DonD

Funny, nice way to rid us of at least a few of those annoying critters.

Savage runs an add about shooting some fly, don't remember if they specify the range. Don

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  14. Rustin

Rustin

That harmless butterfly got obliterated. I would have let him go....I hope you ate the damn thing, no use in wasting life just for some kicks!