Lucky Gunner 32acp testing

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Out West, Feb 14, 2020.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Ok, then lately they seem like they’ve been big on the smaller calibers.

3. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Been using Fiocchi 73gr. FMJ in my P32s for many years without a problem.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  4. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

There is what is possibly the best defensive load for the 32 ACP available from Buffalo bore which is a 75 grain hardcast flatnose Plus+P load but I could only find one jello test with this ammo using Sim-test ballistics gel and the round penetrated through sixteen ! layers of denim and 14 1/2 inches of the 16 inch block and exited out the side of the block and was never found.

I've used this ammo in my own Keltec P-32 and it's accurtate and functions perfectly. It is not suitible in some guns that are not locked breech like the keltec. The manual that comes with the Beretta Tomcat warns against the use of any Plus+P ammo.

The flatnose meplat caused a larger "Wound channel" for about the first 12 inches and then drilled a smaller hole until it exited. Only one round was tested.

This round is rated at 1,150 fps/ M.E. 220 ft. lbs but that's out of a longer barrel. Fortunatly Buffalo bore tests their ammo out of different guns and these were their results:

1,001 fps -- Berretta Mod. 70, 3-inch bbl.
    910 fps -- Kel Tec, 2.5-inch bbl
    856 fps -- Seecamp, 2-inch bbl.

Buffalo Bore:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=132

Gel test:

https://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/06/buffalo-bore-32-acp-75-grain-hcfn.html

gamecocks and Out West like this.
  5. Kennydale

Kennydale

There was this overnight security NIGHT WATCHMAN( at the very uber-liberal antigun college I went to back in the '70s) he carried a small pocket 32 ACP. I used to kid him and ask him what his beretta wanted to be when it grew up!

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

While I disagree with the notion that no difference exist between most mainstream pistol rounds 'because jello', I do think well loaded 32acp will generally do about as well as .380acp ball and offers an easier shooting small gun.
    I have a bunch of .32acp ammo and still keep a lookout for a good launching platform.
    I love that LG does these tests, also revealing how mild some .32ammo is being loaded.

7. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

The night watchman at my liberal college in the 70s carried a .38 Special.

Kennydale likes this.
  8. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

They've tested service calibers. They are doing a series of vids and tests on pocket guns. Many people like, or have, and may consider carrying, .22, .25, .32 & .380 pocket guns. I think they are just trying to give these the same attention, provide some education and of course....get more site visits and sell more ammo.

And everyone who watches these vids and reviews the gel test results is not a "gun guy." It may be a first time pocket gun buyer wondering if she should get a P32 or LCP. Or the guy who has a .32 PPK and thinks he needs to "upgrade" to .380. (The answers, BTW, are "get both" and "No".)

I think it is worth noting that the lowly .32 ACP in FMJ form, even from the P32 and Tomcat, can consistently provide "adequate" penetration. No expansion, but 12-18" penetration. That sets it apart from the .22 and .25. Is it better than .380? Probably not. But I don't think I'd worry any if I had a P32 rather than an LCP or a .32 Walther rather than a .380.

My general thought is that if it's got less "oomph" than a standard pressure 9mm and you are shooting out of a small or mid-size frame auto or 2" snubbie (the .38 special FBI loads with soft lead bullets excepted) then you are just punching narrow bullet diameter holes in whatever you are shooting so whether it is .32 up through 9mm Mak or .38 Spl. ball (or SWC or WC) isn't really a bad choice, and it doesn't much matter which caliber or what brand ball you shoot.

I would be inclined to use a HP in .380 or 9 x 18 in a 4" barrel and avoid 130 or 158 gr FMJ in .38 in a snubby to minimize the chance of over penetration, but would look for consistent "adequate" penetration rather then consistent "good" expansion.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Valmet likes this.
  9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

BigBluefish and Out West like this.
  10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

[​IMG]
    The huge Kel-tec P32 dwarfs the little Seecamp

11. amd65

amd65

The little Seecamp dwarfs the P32 in price, weighs 3ozs more, while holding less ammo.

I got to a range today...
    The P32 shot great. I even put a mag full of XTP through it with no problem. No recoil to speak of.
    I’m ordering some S&B FMJ today. Seems to be the favored round over at ktog.

12. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Glad you like it. The p32 is a great teeny gun.

13. amd65

amd65

I’m picturing the front sight nub milled off...then mount a tritium shotgun bead.

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Im glad they test mouse guns, since in reality many many people carry small guns. Lots of .380s out there being carried. Many claim a g19 is edc but then keeps it at home or in the car while the mousegun goes with them.

15. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Most often these days, I've got an LCP in the pocket of my jeans or khakis. When you are in & out of an office each day, and don't wear a jacket inside, your options are limited. If I am walking around at night, with dog, out to dinner, shopping etc. it is likely the same, though the LCP then may be a J frame in a coat pocket. Even when I do carry a gun on the belt it is likely a 232 or a Mak, though I have become fond of the PPS M2 and the G36. But that Walther and that Glock are about the only guns I carry that aren't "mouse guns" and the chances to carry them are few and far between, so they are hardly EDC.

16. gamecocks

gamecocks

Love my Pico, soft shooter for its size, and it is tiny. Didn't the Pico originally advertise that it could shoot .32 with a barrel swap, but they never ended up selling the .32 barrel? I feel like I read that. It'd be a great gun in .32, wish they'd offer it.

17. Out West

Out West

I never heard of the 32 option, but I'd probably buy one if it was available. I like the idea of caliber conversions.

18. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

LG rocks. They are very much attention to detail and are dialed into what guns and loads many people are carrying. Like it or not plenty of guys are still carrying .32's. I think, Historically, the .32ACP has sold more rounds then any self defense bullet.

Obviously much of this was during the period when there wasn't many alternatives but the round has survived and is still fairly popular.

19. gamecocks

gamecocks

Yep, found one of their pages that says it can shoot .32 with just a barrel swap. Again, I think this was their original plan that never came to fruition. Shame.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/pico-fde-frame/

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

While I'd take the KT anyday over the seecamp, I wish they'd use the seecamps heel mag release on the KT. For pocket carry, those KTs are prone to getting bumped loose.