close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lubricating a Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gls_1911, Jun 2, 2012.

1. gls_1911

gls_1911

The Glock Manual says to add one drop of oil to the point the trigger bartouches the connector at the right rear corner of the frame. My question is domost Glock owners apply oil to this point every single time that theyclean/lubricate the glock. Since this oil drop is apparently running down andlubricating points inside the pistol, cleaning the glock will not remove theold oil that is internal before applying the new oil. At all other lubricatingpoints in the pistol the old oil is removed as part of the cleaning process. Itwould seem to me that you could then over oil that part of the gun.

Any comments??

Thanks

2. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

gunscrubber will get all the oil out of the frame.

3. frankmako

frankmako

i don't oil there everytime i clean. it can get real dirty inside that area if you get to much oil. i take my glocks all away apart twice a year and give them a good cleaning.

4. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

I oil there every time. Glock calls for one drop. It's not that much oil. If you shower it with oil I could see it becoming an issue, but not with one drop. How often are you cleaning your gun? I guess I should ask how often are you shooting as well. Daily? Weekly? Monthly?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. gls_1911

gls_1911

I shoot at least once per week. Although I may or may not shoot the same pistol on each outing. I clean and lubricate after every trip to the range.

6. WASR10

WASR10

About every 1,000 rounds or so I give the lower a Simple Green bath, and make sure to lube that very spot. A little bad will do ya.

7. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Every time I shoot my Glocks I clean and lube them. I wouldn't say that I put a drop of oil at the trigger bar contact but I do wipe it with an oil coated Qtip.:dunno:

8. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Once a week, I'd maybe do it every other time. I clean my guns once a month although I shoot every other weekend, and detail strip every 6 months. I think you're just fine to do it every other time. Not sure if I'd let it go farther than that. Just my opinion.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Just be sure to keep it lubed! Use your best judgement as to how often it needs it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MikeG36

MikeG36

Here’s what I do:
    1_ After every range trip* clean and lube including that spot.
    2_ After a thousand rounds or so, I detail strip and clean and lube the trigger bar and connector with Shooters Choice grease. FP10 for the rest of the pistol.
    After firing one or two hundred rounds, that drop of oil between the trigger bar and connector seems to renew the grease and keeps the trigger pull smooth as butter.

*Note: I’ve been known to skip a cleaning or two. Never an issue – after all, it is a Glock!

11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Just food for thought.

I have a Gen 1 G17 that had over 100,000 rounds fired by a police academy before I bought it. We did a torture test, 2500+ rounds fired bone dry with out any cleaning or lube. Then about 2500 rounds fired with it dripping wet with CLP. It picked up TONS of dirt and grit when it was over lubed. It never failed to fire, feed or extract.

Then I ran it through a dishwasher to clean it. When it was still hot I properly lubed it with CLP. It still shoots flawlessly and shows no excessive wear.

12. MikeG36

MikeG36

I heard about your 17 at the Glock Armorer's course I recently attended. Being from SLC, maybe you know the instructor. Great guy btw. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I oil that spot with one drop every other time I shoot or every 3rd time

14. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I used to oil that spot every time I field strip cleaned it, and eventually oil started to spill out onto the rear of the magazine during firing. The first time I detail stripped that frame, the entire trigger housing was covered in oil and it was pooled up all around the trigger housing in the frame.

I still oil that spot every time but it's a much smaller drop now, and I detail strip clean my frame about once a year.

15. Dave.1

Dave.1

I stopped using oil on that cup on the connector. It is the only place I use grease (TW25). Just a touch about every 3rd range trip.

Now, when I detail clean once a year I don't find that oil build up.

16. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Reading my mind! :supergrin: I use that exact same lube on that spot and no worries about it migrating to the rest of the gun. If you don't have TW25, a smidge of white lithium grease will work just as well.

17. Proxstud

Proxstud

The one drop of oil there should not be a problem. This may be a little extreme, but I completely break down my Glock after each Range visit and clean every component. I do this because I enjoy it and not because it's needed.

:)

18. mvmojo

mvmojo

5-6,000 rounds/yr. I put a little bit of high temp grease in this area about twice a year when I do a complete take-down & cleaning. The grease stays put and doesn't run down into the frame/grip. In between take-downs, I leave it alone.

19. Consort

Consort

If you were to place a Glock farme in an automatic dishwasher, are the internal components (i.e. locking block, trigger assembly, etc.) left in the weapon or are they removed ?

20. Dave.1

Dave.1

I've never used a dishwasher but I do know that most dishwashing soaps are pretty harsh.

Don't think it would hurt the polymer but the thin coating on parts like the connector and trigger bar could be harmed.

Dave