Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Wondering if this grease is safe to use. I want some sticky grease for break-in on the rails and connector/trigger bar area. Not feeling like ordering and waiting for Lenny to ship expensive Gun Butter. I'm cheap.
It has silicone in it and wondering if it would harm the polymer. Found a tube of it in my tool box.
Thanks!
download.png

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I know this is not what you are asking, but consider doing what Glock recommends. One little drop of oil here and there. After 30 years of making the same gun, Glock sorta has it figure out.

If you want to go krazy, maybe do a 25 cent trigger job. I use Mother's Mag Wheel polish and a Q-tip, to just add a little polish without altering anything dimensionally.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/glock-25-cent-trigger-job/

But really, you should stay away from the goo and the gloops.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Hey all,
Wondering if this grease is safe to use. I want some sticky grease for break-in on the rails and connector/trigger bar area. Not feeling like ordering and waiting for Lenny to ship expensive Gun Butter. I'm cheap.
It has silicone in it and wondering if it would harm the polymer. Found a tube of it in my tool box.
Thanks! View attachment 746842
It's a Glock, a couple of drips of snot will keep it running.

In all seriousness, the Napa you have there will do just fine, that tube is about a lifetime supply, although for me, I prefer liquid lubes over grease....Either way, don't waste your money on snake oil lubes, just do the basic few drops the manual specifies and you will be fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It won't hurt anything but it's probably not needed. I've used about every kind of lubricant on my guns at one time or another. The only thing that ever gave me any problems was WD-40, if it sits a while it gets sticky and gums up the action.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
It's a Glock, a couple of drips of snot will keep it running.

In all seriousness, the Napa you have there will do just fine, that tube is about a lifetime supply. Don't waste your money on snake oil lubes, just do the basic few drops the manual specifies and you will be fine.
I basically agree, but after having my g17 malfunction because the oil got "used up" on an extended range trip I started using grease. Haven't had an issue since.

Pretty sure Glocks' lubing recommendations are for "normal" use, not putting 3-400 rounds downrange in one outing

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I basically agree, but after having my g17 malfunction because the oil got "used up" on an extended range trip I started using grease. Haven't had an issue since.

Pretty sure Glocks' lubing recommendations are for "normal" use, not putting 3-400 rounds downrange in one outing
I will use a little Mobil 1 and do a 500 round range day with no issue, 3 or 4 times a month.

·
NRA Life Member
5,797 Posts
I know this is not what you are asking, but consider doing what Glock recommends. One little drop of oil here and there. After 30 years of making the same gun, Glock sorta has it figure out.

If you want to go krazy, maybe do a 25 cent trigger job. I use Mother's Mag Wheel polish and a Q-tip, to just add a little polish without altering anything dimensionally.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/glock-25-cent-trigger-job/

But really, you should stay away from the goo and the gloops.
I agree, I follow their advice- if I was going to deviate it might be to use a dab of that copper anti-seize that comes on their new guns, but other than that, nothing else.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts

I'm pretty sure you had something else going on there.

3-400 rounds in one outing is a little short of a day for me and I never used up all the oil.
In fact, while I usually field strip and lube after a range trip, sometimes I get lazy and don't do anything for several trips.

I have considered grease before, but we all know that grease attracts and holds grit.
I could just imagine what some dirty ammo and grease could do to gum things up so I stick with a good quality oil.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
MacGyver
7,589 Posts
Here we go....let's all jump on here with our favorite way to lube our glocks.

OP, that will work just fine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, but my main concern was "will anything silicone based hurt polymer"?
And the grease is just a short term use to break in. I know grease attracts grit.
My 48 and 44 are brand new and haven't seen 100 rounds out of them yet.

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
Just make sure to use enough grease. I got one of these with lithium grease cartridges, and gonna drill and tap my frame and put in a Zerk fitting by every place the slide rides. Figure a couple pumps every magazine change should keep me going. Just gotta modify my holster to make room for the bumps of the fittings.

·
emeritus
3,882 Posts
What? LOL! 300 rounds is a quick and disappointing trip! 500 rounds or more once a week.

OP, forget what you are trying to do and shoot the thing. Couple drops of oil as recommended will keep you covered.

·
emeritus
3,882 Posts
Just make sure to use enough grease. I got one of these with lithium grease cartridges, and gonna drill and tap my frame and put in a Zerk fitting by every place the slide rides. Figure a couple pumps every magazine change should keep me going. Just gotta modify my holster to make room for the bumps of the fittings.

I'm going to do the same and mount a single point sling to one of the zerks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now you guys are poking fun at me.
Never mind, I'll ask to have the thread deleted.
Sorry I asked if silicone is bad for the Glock polymer thermo plastic. Simple question.

·
Florist
20,132 Posts
Been lubing my G19s since 1999 with either Remington's Rem oil or Break Free CLP, depending on what I happen to have at hand at the time. So far, so good.

Silicon bad for Glock plastic? IDK but I doubt it. I'd worry more about the plastic becoming brittle and cracking/failing over time. :eyelashes:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Silicone is fine. In fact, when I take mine completely apart to clean, I spray the whole inside of the frame with silicone spray. This keeps everything slick that rubs the frame and it also make the next cleaning easier.
And I do use a small dab of grease between the trigger bar and connector.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

A Lincoln Man
I like it !

I'm workin' on adapting a Bearing Buddy to mine !

1 - 20 of 39 Posts