Lubbock debrief

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Panhandle Bill, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Panhandle Bill

Panhandle Bill Senior Member

Well the first Lubbock match is history. What are your thoughts??

2. GLW

GLW

I'm glad you asked that! This will be a "must make" match for me again next year. Texas hospitality is second to none. Everyone I met was absolutely terrific.

The range is unique to say the least. You drive a relatively short distance from the hotels and dinner spots across the wide open west Texas landscape to the designated parking area and until you get out of your car, you won't see anything that looks like a range. All you see is a path that disappears down a hidden slope. Like Alice falling down the rabbit hole, you descend into a different world from the flat Texas prairie above. A central path leads to numerous individual bays that utilize natural backstops. The match organizers took full advantage of their resources. Each shooting area had tents or other forms of cover and plenty of seats for shooters to use to prepare for their turn at bat. Squadding guidelines were faithfully followed, however, due to the number of duplicate match setups and the number of range officers on hand, squadding was rarely needed. Most of the shooters took advantage of perfect weather on Saturday but no one waited more than a few minutes to shoot.

I could go on at length talking about what a pleasure it was to shoot in the first GSSF match for this Lubbock club but let me end by simply saying that what made this match such a success were the people who put it on. Everyone there had obvioulsy worked very hard to prepare for this event. They were professional, knowledgable and most of all friendly.

This was the farthest I've traveled to a GSSF match and it was well worth the trip. Do yourselves a favor and put Lubbock on your calendar for next year. I certainly plan to. See ya next year!

3. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Dito to what GLW said! This was the best ran "FIRST" match I have ever attended! Congraulations to the Texas Sightmasters club for all the hard work. The efforts paid off! We heard of NO complaints from anyone on Saturday!:)
    Like Grady said, this is one match to put on your list to attend next year!;f
    Thanks to everyone with the Texas Sightmasters for making us feel so welcome!;)

Dan:cool:

4. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Even though I didn't get to attend the match, I agree with GLW and Dan that "this is a match to put on your calendar for next year"!!

The combined efforts of Patriot Indoor Range members and volunteers from Texas Sightmasters contributed to the ample amount of range officer help that was available. The "extra" efforts and hard work contributed by some of the club's members made the club's facilities exceed the expectations for the match. A "special" thank you to Panhandle Bill and his wife for reconstructing the Glock bay in bay #2 so that a full scale all steel warm up match was available for everyone to use. I believe that Texas Sightmasters has the only fulltime all steel Glock bay with all GSSF events setup to shoot at year round in the nation.

As a long distance member of the range, I will make plans to return for the match next year with all of our other team members so that we can all enjoy that "West Texas" hospitality that's bountiful in Lubbock.

As for the geographical location of the range. GLW is correct, when you arrive at the parking lot, you will wonder, 'where is the range'. After you go down the road to the range, you will know that you are in the "right place" and will understand why I made that range my home range for years.

Thanks to all that worked and those that shot and thanks to Chris Edwards and his staff for giving the range their opportunity to give GSSF a home in West Texas.

Lubbock will now be famous for Buddy Holly and GSSF. :)

See all you in Lubbock next year,
    Bobby Carver

5. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

From "our" side of this, we want to thank all you folks that came, especially the ones that traveled long distances to get here. We saw only smiling faces, ready for a nice time shooting. Not a single unhappy face. Of course we had our share of goof ups but thanks to the many helping hands, it all worked out in the end. Thank you to the volunteers, the shooters, Scott, Cindy, & especially to GSSF for developing this particular venue for shooting. We even had folks that came just to shoot then decide to stay & hang out with us & give us a hand, that is way above & beyond but we are grateful to you. Oh yes, one more thing, thanks GSSF for trusting us enough to give us a chance to host this match. We hope to see you folks again next year, & bring a friend, too. :) MLM, Texas Sightmasters.

6. Ranger54

Ranger54

Mark, I GOTTA DISAGREE with you! There was not a single goof up that I saw. This was a MOST EXCELLENT match, fantastic ROs, all just super, knowledgeable, and of course, they kept everything running very smoothly. I would say this is a MUST match for anyone that can make it. I will certainly be looking forward to next year!

Thanks to the gang at Sightmasters and Glock for a great day!

7. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

My thoughts are the same as all of the above. We had an excellent time. The RO's were all friendly and knowledgeable. I only wish I lived a little closer. Best match ever for me, GSSF or not.

I'll try to make it back next year just for the matched set of shirts.

Side note: I'm glad the RO at the practice range told us about the occasional rattle snake falling down the hill in the far range after I shot that stage. I would have felt pretty silly running from the range screaming like a woman. ;f

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

That does it; if Panhandle Bill can make it up to Oakdale and you can make it down there, then I need to get down there next year, somehow... I know GSSF is lost brass, but can y'all collect horny toads while they're pastin' the targets?

;?

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Hey WIG19; Horny toads is not all they collect. Look at the little pet I found following me around..

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Cool! thanks for the pic ^c
    - brings back fond memories of trying to watch a movie at the drive-in in Levelland while them things were blowin' all over.
    :)

Edited to correct actual location of theater.

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Yep, I collected a lot of them when I was stationed at Webb A.F.B. in Big Spring, Texas. They would attack our T-37 Jet Trainers during the West Texas sandstorms. Ah -------- the fond memories.;c ;c ;c

12. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

WIG, this was twice as far as Hallsville and ten times as fun! It was actually your comment about West Texas hospitality that convinced me to see Texas for the first time. Well that and Mark's enthusiastic posts.

13. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Max, & others, thank you all very much for the great comments. I'm going to speak for others in the club since many of them don't spend as much time in front of a keyboard as I do, but we want to thank you all for trusting us enough to spend your hard earned money & the irreplaceable time to come see us. If you all keep saying good things about us, perhaps GSSF will see fit to offer us another year of hosting this match. Scott & Cindy seemed to have a good time & they say they will recommend us to the decision makers at GSSF.
    Again we want to say, we were honored by your presence & even more by your kind words! Y'all come back now, ya hear?
    MLM

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Because of wonderful childhood memories, for me West Texas is Texas. If I don't make it next year it won't be for lack of trying. (For sure when I retire but if post my short-timer count Don will just waste more bandwidth laughing at me.) ;e

Mark, you & your staff obviously did a superb job. Clearly a case of "do the right thing and the right thing will happen."
    Well done!

;?

15. Panhandle Bill

16. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

17. Panhandle Bill

Thanks Jerry, Maybe next year you can make it. That would be great!!
    We might wind up getting the whole team here, (even Bobby)!!

Bill

18. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

I had a great time and look forward to next year.

I must admit to one major dissappointment though. After shooting a personal best 23 on Glock M (2nd best in AC), I was expecting to do a sub 18 run on the plates, instead I got a 51 with two plates left standing. The culprit; improperly calibrated plates that did not fall when hit. I hit some of them two times and one three times and it did not fall. No reshoot was allowed. I was so flustered I then went and did a less than spectacular 5 to Glock.

I then returned to the plates to watch other shooters have the same problem. Note shooter "Duncan, J". He had a great Glock M (1st in AC), but also left 2 plates standing. And his clean string when steel did fall when hit were 3.5 or so (I was there to see it). He was really fast, but also got screwed by non-falling steel.

Both of us shot early in the am, and shortly after I saw Glock there to check the plates, but it was too late for those of us that shot already.

Next time I will shoot in the PM when all the bugs are presumed to be worked out. Live and learn.

19. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

RenegadeGlocker I'm curious what side did you shoot the plates on? I shot the left side the only problem I saw was some plates would bounce back up with a heavy enough load. The RO's were the absolute finest I've seen and would not call them miss hits.

I've had a bad experience on the plates at another Glock shoot where I hit the plate dead center with a 45 and it didn't go down so I can feel your pain.

I just had such a great experience with these RO's that I'm surprised you got a bad call by them.

20. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Renegade, I will apologize to you for this. I am very sorry it happened & hope that next time things are better. I wish things had been different. This obviously doesn't change the end results but just know we tried. My only excuse is that we are human & sometimes things just don't work like they should. Thank you for coming to our match & I hope you return & give us another chance to do it right. We did learn some lessons that should make the match even better next year. MLM