close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lowsided the BMW in the canyon - minor cosmetic damages to bike and sore muscles

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, May 7, 2006.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Lowsided the Beemer in a really tight corner. I went too fast and leaned the bike too hard and the left head hit the ground, pivoted the wheels off the ground and slid about twenty yards.

Some cosmetic damages (headlight bent but still working, broken left front signal, damaged left cylinder head cover, slightly dented tank, tweaked clutch and bent left bar end) but otherwise the bike was rideable.

The bike actually slid off the road, off the turn-out, over a berm and went off the cliff. Thank goodness there was a small tree and vines that kept the bike and me from rolling all the way down. It was a cliff but it wasn't a dead drop or anything like that. Anyway, four people stopped and went out of their ways to help me get the bike out. We had to use a Jeep and some cargo straps to pull the bike out. Those people were heaven sent!!!

As for me, leathers saved my skin. I'm a bit bruised and aching all over but not a scratch. The suit is scuffed but that's about it. Z Custom Leathers rule!!! Amazingly enough the helmet didn't even touch the ground. I slid and then rolled.

I figured my speed was maybe 40-MPH when I crashed. I felt in total control when I hit the corner, I didn't feel like I was going too fast or too slow until I leaned the bike over and lowsided.

Memo to self, "The Rockster can't take a corner like the Tuono can."

Pics will follow.

2. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Well that's terrible to hear but sure am glad you emerged unhurt. And the bike isn't totalled!

3. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

That sucks......
    Post some pics.

4. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Glad to hear you came out of it okay.

It's been almost thirty years since my last accident (high side) and hope to continue the run.

5. fireman jb

fireman jb

That sucks man. I know how you feel. Good thing you were geared up and it's going to hurt the wallet more then anything else. Hope you can get her back together quick. Glad to hear your alright.

6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Glad you're OK, good thing you had the leathers on. I really need to fit a set of leathers into my budget in the next year or so. How much you suppose it is going to cost to fix it.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I went back and looked at the crash scene this morning. I can't really fault my technique there too much. The head touched down about 1.5-ft from the double yellow line so that made the wheels probably at the middle of the lane. I was almost at the apex, the bike was angled OK to take the turn because I remembered flicking the bike over and saw my riding partner took the next turn then the grinding of the head and me sliding off and rolling.

The guy was in the Tuono. I think that had I been riding my Tuono, I would have negotiated that corner just fine. But I overrode the Beemer's capability. Note to self, "the Beemer is a sporty and capable bike, but it isn't a sport bike." :supergrin:

8. BikerRN

BikerRN

I'm glad you are OK.

Having ridden with you I would say that your technique was most likely fine, and that you over-rode the Beemer, as you said. I learned a lot from watching you when we rode together, and hope to do so again.

Take it easy, take some motrin or other pain-killer, and relax for a bit.

Cat says hi and sorry about the mishap.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Here are some photos. Warning, they are fairly large!!! The coffee mug marks the spot where the head dug into the ground and the bike began to slide.

[​IMG]

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Riding gears are your friend.

[​IMG]

12. windplex

windplex

I am guessing you have one of those wonderful opposed twins BMW makes? Which model? Gald you were not hurt to badly -- many of us have crashed/fallen don't feel too bad.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The BMW is the R1150R Rockster.

14. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Glad you (and the bike) weren't seriously injured.

[​IMG]

ATGATT -- All The Gear All The Time

15. windplex

windplex

I have ridden the rockster, R and S models and love them all. Especially like the rockster and S models due to their more aggressive suspension.

Looks like the cylinder kept the bike from getting too damaged.

16. norton

norton

Glad you are ok man.
    you are smart to wear leathers and a premium helmet.
    I have been there, and know what a good helmet can do.
    Mine saved my life. no question about it.

ride safe.

neal

17. BCM

BCM

Good to hear your safe, both you and the bike look none too bad for wear. Remember, the right tool for the right job, no knee dragging on the Beemer, like you said, thats what you a the Tuono for. LOL

18. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Actually, he probably needed to drag his knee, your knee is your lean indicator.
    The problem is his knee was calibrated to the Tuono, rather than the Boxer.
    Shouda re-zeroed your knee before you pulled the trigger ehhh?
    ;)

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There were a few things that I could have done differently but knee dragging isn't one of them.

The problem with the BMW is that the seat is wide. Maybe if I were four to six inches taller I'd have enough leg to hang off and drag a knee. Right now I can't even shift half a butt. I can hang off on the Aprilia but not on the BMW.

I should have dialed back the speed a bit. I felt like I was in the groove, and I was. I rode that BMW much better than I've ever did before. Nonetheless the combination of a downward left hander coupled with the slightly off camber turn AND my apexing a hair too early. Had I waited another 10-ft and then tipped the bike over, I might have gotten away with it. But I took that corner at around 10-MPH more than I ever did with the BMW before, coupled with the minor mistakes, that was enough to grind the head into the ground.

I wasn't pushing my limit but I was pushing the bike's limits and at that point, it didn't tolerate a minor mistake like apexing a hair early.

20. das028

das028

I wasn't pushing my limit but I was pushing the bike's limits and at that point, it didn't tolerate a minor mistake like apexing a hair early. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, I could really stir some crap here, (you know what I'm talking about;, but I'm not gonna.

Glad your OK, some people dont turn out as lucky as you