Lowe's Rant.......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DaveD, May 24, 2020.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I was the Store Carpenter for Lowe’s. Did the maintenance and built all the displays. In a pinch I went out on deliveries. The delivery drivers were totally untrained in appliance installation. They were just drivers. One driver would just pass his tricks on to the next. Plumbing tricks were bad. Electrical were criminal.

2. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

Three houses and I am in leg braces from a hereditary nerve muscle disease. Kills me to have work done that I could do myself if I wasn't handicapped. Can't even climb a ladder.

Bottom line is I'm in no pain and it won't kill me.....my life is very good!

Right now I'm watching the grandkids play in the lake and my 6-year old grandson is using the Kayak I got him yesterday. Great fun!

PatinAz, G30SF/F-250 and porschedog like this.

3. racer11

racer11

Years ago I had my home carpeted by HD and what a mess that was. The installers came about 2 hours late and they had all been drinking and were half or completely drunk. When I became aware of this they had glued down the nailing strips and the strips were not sticking to the floor and when they fit the carpet they scraped the wall paint down by the floor with the carpet backing. I called the store and then spoke with the sub contractor that HD had hired to do the work. I ran the drunks off with the entire house a mess and up rooted. Long story short HD representatives came to my house to look at the job. I ended up with free carpet and my interior walls painted. I paid by credit card and put payment in dispute and to my surprise HD became very cooperative and before that they were ignoring my calls and attempts to correct the problem.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

HD in my area will not install if it's electrical or plumbing...have to have a licensed contractor.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

I think this is accurate.

A lot of the newer employees are inexperienced or not properly trained.

The employees who have been around for a while usually know what they are talking about.

willie_pete likes this.
  6. Z71bill

Z71bill

Home Depot the delivery guys also hook up -

IMHO 1,000% better.

With Lowe's they deliver - then the guy that hooks up schedules an appointment.

So you get to wait for them 2x -

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

Must be some state regulation -

Will your rulers allow them to plug in a washing machine and hook up 2 hoses and a drain hose or does that require both an electrician and plumber?

FullClip and 63Bravo like this.
  8. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Don't know about washers. Dryers/dishwashers...nope. It's a state thing.

9. First shot

First shot

Now that’s a helluva story OP... I can definitely understand why you’re wigging out about that...I would too...Might just be the store in your area or something, because the Lowe’s here in Ruckersville Virginia, really seems to be on the ball anytime I need a delivery... Lowe’s is kinda like KFC, some are a lot better than others..lol..

willie_pete likes this.
  10. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I haven’t really dealt with Lowe’s much, mostly Home Depot since I have one close unlike a Lowe’s.

That said I’ve also worked for Home Depot years back. Somebody will complain about all of them, sometimes you can get some very knowledgable people in certain departments. That will mainly depend on your store.

Some of the guys were retired plumbers or electricians just killing some free time there. The majority of people are just after a paycheck. Their biggest downfall is at least 75% of their employees are part time. HD will start you at 10$ a hour and they won’t give you benefits unless you work more than 36 hours a week. How it was at the one I worked at anyway. Cap on part time hours is.... you guessed it 36 hours a week.

Its hard to find good help when you want to work people that many hours “part time”, the odd shifts, holidays weekend and throw in the 10$ a hour deal.

automatic slim and 63Bravo like this.
  11. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

THIS, right here, is what is WRONG with 'Murica today!!!!
    So, I need a "State License" or somesuch to PLUG IN a dryer, or a dishwasher, huh??....
    I hate to ask how one opens the hood of a car near you..........

12. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Of course....that doesn't apply to the homeowner.

13. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

We ordered special wide carpeting for our living room and dining room because the normal width rolls of carpet would mean having a seam in carpet. The previous carpet started splitting at the seam which is why we were replacing it.

Installers show up . . . They have the normal width roll. Wife gets on the phone to complain and is told: "We can get the extra wide carpet, but it will take 45-60 days".

Great. . All the furniture including the piano is moved out of the 2 room in advance of the installers, so we had them install the regular width carpet. Wife complained loudly and we got a $800 refund.

14. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

One of the first big home improvement jobs I did after I bought my first house was to scrape up the linoleum tile in my laundry room and replace it with ceramic. I was trying to finish the job before my daughters Christening party.

We had also gutted the 1/2 bathroom that was located in that room, and I ran out of time to extend the tile into that room, so I bought some of the adhesive tile to put down temporarily. The adhesive back had a waxed paper covering, and on several tiles, the backing was fused to the adhesive, and tore when I tried to pull it off.

I took the defective tiles back to Lowes, and explained why they were defective. When I went back to pick out some more tiles, an employee walks over and started to restock the defective tiles. I told him they were bad, and showed him how some of the tiles were missing part of the wax backing. He just shrugged and walked away.

I have bought tools that I discovered were used, covered with dust, wet, or otherwise damaged (by the previous owner) when I got home and opened the box. I realize that some ******* bought, used, then returned the item, and the employee probably doesn't care enough to inspect the item before restocking, but I consider it a big FU from the store. I have been burned too many times, and had to waste enough of my valuable time bringing something back that I now inspect everything I buy from those stores.

Half the boxes are already opened.

15. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

It was around 2012 that we had a Lowe’s contractor redo our kitchen.
    After completely demolishing the kitchen down to the slab, the contractor discovered that the new counter tops and cabinets had never been ordered by Lowe’s.
    Lowe’s had them construct temporary plywood countertops for the 3-4 week wait.
    The wife found the store manager and asked him how he planned to remedy the situation and he offered 1/3 off our new appliances. She settled for 50% off and replaced everything.
    PS: Never let a sporting goods store clerk mount your scope. That is a mistake I will not repeat. You have to do it yourself to get it done correctly and to your personal measurements. Lots of You Tube instructional videos on that but proceed with caution. Some have good methods; some go overboard.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

When I get appliances I get them from a local small business. He matches or beats the big box stores and installs it himself.

He's a funny guy that does great radio commercials, hires hot chicks to run the store, and is on the borough council. I'd definitely trust him to install stuff. Big box stores not so much.

17. papershoot

papershoot

I have a washer on order with Lowe's now. I would pay a premium to buy a Maytag built the way they were a generation ago. Delivery is scheduled for 6/8. They will install it and haul the old one away. The mall that had a Sears was demolished a few years ago. We have Lowe's and HD within a few blocks. I am going to buy a bale of straw this morning before putting out some seeds. I have never had a problem with either of them or the appliance delivery. A Lowe's contractor replaced a rotting French door with a slider a few years ago, with no issues.
    I like Lowe's better for things like fasteners and light bulbs. I like HD better for Simpson Strong Tie hardware and I use the Behr paint. There are a few people at my Lowe's that I have interacted with for years. I look for those faces when I have more involved questions. I can't say that about HD. I will generally go to the blue store first.

18. norton

norton

Lowes is my favorite DIY store.
    That said, I ordered a new LP gas grill from Home Depot during the "rona" crisis, it was delivered along with the accessory hard grill cover. When I opened the accessory box I realized it was the wrong item.
    3 ways to return merchandise, I decided to take the cover to my closest store-about 50 miles away.
    Gave me a credit on my CC and then I noticed he credited me for the return of the grill, instead of the cover. Needless to say the grill was 4x the cost of the cover. I pointed out his boo boo, he corrected it.

19. Crane1

Crane1

The local HD has a guy in Electrical that's pretty good. He apologizes all the time about the lack of good help. Other help in that store is worthless. 2 local Lowes, with no good help.

Where my parents live only has a Lowes. I went there trying to find a replacement doorknob lock set. They look it up on a Smart Phone and if they can't find it, they tell you they don't have it. Since I was in a bind, I dug around until I found a suitable alternative myself.

I've actually helped people that look like they need help. They usually say I need to get a job there. I just say - No Thanks.

20. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Don't forget they probably have to pass a drug test.