Glock Talk banner

Lowes Had a Holster for my Saturday Night Special

2247 Views 18 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  plp
I've been wanting a cheap little 22 pistol to carry on the tractor for plinking or to slip into a back pocket when I go out poking around. I don't want to use my G29 for popping at the birds that are eating my cherries or that rascal groundhog getting fat off my chestnuts. So I've been kicking around the idea of a small Ruger or Beretta,

I walked into a gun shop and the guy behind the counter said, "Take a look at this!" and placed a Phoenix in my hand.

"No way," I said, "None of that junk for me."

But it was stuck to my hand - I could not put it down. I figured for $150 I could get that much fun tinkering with it, trying to make it run.

Well, guess what? It has feed and fired every 22LR cartridge I have put in it! The Grackles are showing a new respect for my fruit trees.

But how to carry this thing? A weak side holster? A OWB on a spare belt so I can strap it on over my EDC? Or just rely on the hip pocket?

I was picking up a few things at Lowes and came down the aisle where they display the tool bags and pouches and this thing caught my eye. Less than 10 bucks!

The more I carry this Lowes holster the more I like it. There is even a slot behind the gun for my phone.

Soooo....it got me wondering....how do other people carry an additional plinker? Got ideas, pictures?

Reactions: deputy tom
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,199 Posts
I logged on to the Phoenix Arms site and ordered a holster from there. It was about $10 or so and fits comfortably.

· Registered
523 Posts
Glad you can scare away the grackles with your Phoenix. Don't cause them anxiety, because the feds
will come and take you away for infringing on their civil rights, protected as migratory species are.

All birds matter.

· Banned
11,514 Posts
Glad you can scare away the grackles with your Phoenix. Don't cause them anxiety, because the feds
will come and take you away for infringing on their civil rights, protected as migratory species are.

All birds matter.
Is it "All birds matter" or "Black birds matter"? I'm so confused.

· You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,968 Posts
"Thought it was all birds splatter." Doh!

· Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
123,772 Posts
Add the optional 5" target barrel and the mag with the pinkie finger extension, and you'll enjoy greater accuracy. These are great little guns, if you understand the safeties.

· Registered
9,061 Posts
Didn't know there was a brand of gun called Phoenix Arms.
One step below Raven Arms. Pure potmetal junk, but I'm glad the OP is enjoying his. Let me tell you a story about grackles and pigeons, I went to home depot and bought a one pound can of gopher bait. It's simply strychnine powdered grain. Sprinkled some on the roof for the brave gophers and placed some in pie pans in the back yard for the timid ones. I had birds falling out of the air. I'm sorry, I was after gophers.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Phoenix Arms has never had a good reputation but after owning this one I believe their level of quality has come up.

After carrying this one around and plinking at every target I see I have a lot more respect for the Phoenix than the Grackles.

I suspect they are just Washington DC rats with wings. Bunch of loudmouth thieves!

The Phoenix has all the politician safeties - a hammer block lever, a half cock, a trigger block lever and an if-the-magazine-is-out-it-totally-f's-up-the-gun safety.
This is the only thing I dislike about the gun. It seems to me it makes it unsafe since you cannot operate the slide or the hammer with magazine out.

I may have to try the longer barrel.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

· Old Fart in training
1,087 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I did with mine. The one I bought slowly fell apart and, eventually, the slide broke in half. I sent it back to Phoenix Arms and they sent me a brand new gun.
After a couple hundred rounds, the replacement started to disintegrate as well. I haven't shot it in 7 or 8 years since then.

· Registered
2,255 Posts
One step below Raven Arms. Pure potmetal junk, but I'm glad the OP is enjoying his. Let me tell you a story about grackles and pigeons, I went to home depot and bought a one pound can of gopher bait. It's simply strychnine powdered grain. Sprinkled some on the roof for the brave gophers and placed some in pie pans in the back yard for the timid ones. I had birds falling out of the air. I'm sorry, I was after gophers.
You can do that. You don't even need a reason.

· Huge Member
12,379 Posts
Thanks for the tip on that holster. Looks like a handy low profile holster that might work on similar sized guns like my Ruger SR22 or maybe even a pocket 9mm.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Thanks for the tip on that holster. Looks like a handy low profile holster that might work on similar sized guns like my Ruger SR22 or maybe even a pocket 9mm.
Hope it works for you. Phoenix Arms does recommend you use normal velocity ammo. CCI sells them and I picked up 1000 in 10-100rnd plastic boxes. I know you can shoot hi-velocity but not recommended.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Hope it works for you. Phoenix Arms does recommend you use normal velocity ammo. CCI sells them and I picked up 1000 in 10-100rnd plastic boxes. I know you can shoot hi-velocity but not recommended.
And it surprised me that functions 100% with cheap (normal velocity) ammo.

I've often wondered if the mark of a good handgun is the fact it will digest any ammo

Or the fact it requires premium ammo to function....

· Registered
1,199 Posts
And it surprised me that functions 100% with cheap (normal velocity) ammo.

I've often wondered if the mark of a good handgun is the fact it will digest any ammo

Or the fact it requires premium ammo to function....

I also use the normal velocity with my 100+ year old Remington pump and 60 year old bolt .22 rifles. Yes it is surprising that Phoenix Arms semi-auto works well with normal velocity. Also surprising I can pick up 10 boxes of it over a weeks time. Can only get 3-100 boxes at a time.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
As to the holster, I have a cheap surplus black canvas pouch I use for a cell phone case, as I have both a personal and company cell. It will also accommodate the Bodyguard or the G-26, although with the Glock it is carry only, wedges the big cell and handgun in to the point neither is easily removed. With the BG, no problem, other than the grip is visible when I open the flap.

I learned years ago with tool pouches, if you are in close quarters everything that is in the pouch is subject to snagging and getting pulled out. I use flaps for both tools and weapons in those situations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.