lower north fork fire

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rideco, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rideco

rideco

Well not sure how much play this has gotten outside of CO but we have a 3500+ acre wildfire just west of south Denver. 2 people have died and 1 is still missing. I got a reverse 911 call, txt, and email about it the day the fire blew up even though I am not in that exact area. Anyways I found this video of a family escaping from the fire.. real damm scary if you ask me..

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/2012/03/raw-video-escaping-the-lower-north-fork-fire/32715/

also there is audio of some sheriffs who got stuck in zero vis. here:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/732230-trapped-in-lower-north-fork-fire.mp3

I want to thank all of the people working on this fire and risking their lives for us.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. hammerkill

hammerkill Allegheny General

I've been near forest fires and it is scary how much heat they put out. Prayers for you and family.

3. rideco

rideco

I am fine and live a good distance from the fire but thanks for the thoughts. Lets pray for the firefighters, police, and residents of the affected area.

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Just after 1700 HOURS, and look how dark it was. I have been under the red sky in a mountain fire. It is EERIE

5. High Altitude

High Altitude

This fire started 8 miles from my house.

Luckily the winds blew it away and not towards us, but lots of other haven't been as lucky.

I took a bunch of food, blankets and clothes down today for the fire victims that are displaced, staying in the shelters etc....

6. Lazy R

Lazy R

My sister lives down there, can see the fire from her yard. She says that it began with a prescribed slash burn (by the county or Forest Circus), even though conditions were tinder dry and windy.

7. rideco

rideco

Wow that sounds like a close call. I hope they lift the evac. notice for you soon and you can return to your home. At least at this point there is some containment on this fire even if its minimal. I just pray that they get this thing under control by Sat. when the forecast calls for high winds again. We need some rain/snow in a bad way right now or else I fear this is not the only fire we will be dealing with this year.

8. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

If current dry conditions continue we could see fires blowing up all along the Front Range. It's certainly unusual to have a big fire at this time of year. We're talking about increasing our property insurance levels.

I have two mountain homes just 5 miles north of the Four Mile Fire of 2010 which destroyed 169 homes. Apparently 60% of those homeowners were underinsured by an average of $200,000 each. In the year and a half since the 169 homes were destroyed only 55 building permits have been issued and 12 families have rebuilt and moved back.

Inadequate insurance is the biggest stumbling block to rebuilding. Fire cleanup and higher construction costs including distance are factored in the $200-$300 per sq. ft. rebuild costs. Also, the cost of meeting modern building codes brings costs well over the assessed/appraised property values.

Fires are scary partly because they can wipe you out financially even with insurance.