Lower End 1911's Springfield Mil Spec

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by thegriz18, Mar 30, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Whats the rating on this pistol? I'd like to get a 1911 just because this is America and I can and I want to. Is the Springfield version a good starting point? I'd eventually add night sights, different hammer, beaver tail grip, etc... Or am I better off buying something slightly more expensive?

2. chuckman

chuckman

Oh, my friend....where to start? If you do a search you will come to find that the Mil-Spec is arguably THE best 'starter' 1911 (or best for that price point). Many of us on here cut our 1911 teeth with the Mil-Spec. It is also likely the best basic platform with which you can customize later. Purchase with confidence.

3. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I bought one 20 years ago and it quickly became my favorite handgun. I carried it for 15 years, then turned it into a competition gun, competed with it for a couple of years, and am now turning it back into a carry gun again.

This thing has been through so many rounds I lost count and other than a little wear from being used and abused, it still looks and functions like a dream.

You really can't go wrong... as a starter, as a keeper.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

As far as I'm concerned, the Mil Spec is THE best out of the box .45 available.

However, If you want all that modern bling on your gun, you might want to consider a Springfield "Loaded" model.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

What's your price range?

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Good subject. I have been thinking about picking up a Springfield Mil Spec, because of the classic looks and low price.

For some reason I don't really trust that it will be a quality pistol. Id like to hear from anyone else that has one. How is the fit and finish? Sights? Reliability with hollow point?

7. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I only have second-hand experience with them; my best friend owned one and I really liked it. That gun was the whole reason I got into 1911 pistols.

I liked it quite a bit. Very no-nonsense.

8. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

At the on set you mentioned being in America. I don't know if this will matter to you but a number of springers are made in Brazil, including the one you're considering. I have a loaded champion (made in Brazil) and it works great. In fact it's the only one I've owned (out of 5) that reliably feeds hollow points. If I've misunderstood my apologies. I'd just hate to have you buy an "American Sprigfield" and a few months later notice it's not. I think their way upper end 1911 are made here though.

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Good right out of the box and a great base to build on.

10. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

I have 3 mil-specs and I still think that for the $$$ they cant be touched. Springfields warranty and service is second to none, forged frame/slide,etc.

11. das9mm26

das9mm26

Imbel of Brazil makes MOST of the frames and parts for SA.....
    Models like the TRP are assembled in the USA; thus, you'll see "Geneseo, IL" on the right side of the frame instead of "Made in Brazil"....
    Don't let the Brazillian mark mislead you....SAs are ALL well-made and dependable.....and IF you DO require service, SA's Customer Service is TOPS!
    Bar NONE!!
    You won't be disappointed with the Mil-Spec.....
    You MIGHT discover it's pretty nice.....just as it is!!

12. mdwiese

mdwiese aka "Crash"

I have over time owned a few different brands and styles of 1911s, but I have come full circle to that basic, no frills look of a Mil-Spec. The first Springfield I owned was a GI, then I picked up a Loaded model, and now I am back to the Mil Spec.

13. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Not only quality in build (which it does have) and reliability but a quality warranty & customer service dept.

Mil Spec over their GI issue for better sights and enlarged ejection port (angled slide serrations are neither here nor there in my mind).

Buy some good quality magazines, a couple of ammo cans of ball ammo and go shoot it. Bring some hollow points to see what it likes or does not like. You will probably love it and begin collecting other 1911s. Or tweaking that one once you know it and know what it needs to your satisfaction.

Somewhere there's a story about a guy bringing his 1st SA 1911 home on his bike, during said journey, it left his backpack to await its fate on the highway (not pretty), he re-found it and sent it in to SA. Was pretty amazing what they did with his newly street modified, road rashed, never shot 1911.

Springfield Armory is a pretty good company with which to do business.

14. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Wow. Buying the SA Mil Spec is nowhere near the bottom of the barrel. They are damn good guns. I bought one over 20 years and will never get rid of it. Still going strong and out shoots my friend's much more expensive 1911. I have only changed the grips and replaced the 1911A1 trigger with a GI 1911 trigger (longer).
    As has been mentioned too, they are not made in the US, but it's not an indication of lesser quality. The Brazilians really know how to make 1911s and FALs.

[​IMG]

15. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

oops, double post

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  16. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

I've got two Mil Specs and love em'. I've built one up and I've left one stock.

You really can't beat the Mil Spec for the price and overall quality for a 1911 at this level. It works great as is right out the box and it as many have said is one of the best 1911's to use as a base to build up from if you want. Go for it.

17. TexasVine

TexasVine

For the money the Mil Spec is a good gun.

18. Roarak

Roarak

Check out the STI Spartan. I little bit more than the SA, but a better pistol. STI uses an Armscor base (Phillipines) and hand fits them in Texas. Great pistol for the price. Usually you cant touch an STI for under 1500 bucks.

19. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

What 1911's are made in the US of A? I kind of want an American 1911. Price range would be under $800. I know that leaves me with like zero options, but hey, I'm broke.

20. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I love my Spartan.