Low-tech (but imperfect) test for cervical cancer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MB-G26, Aug 5, 2007.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

Interesting!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291940,00.html

2. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

Interesting article, Mel.

Another question regarding Pap smears, not to hi-jack your thread.

I was told one thing years ago about this subject, but if anyone here is in this boat, What are doctors saying now to patients after they have had hysterectomies regarding having Pap Smears?

I've heard it said anywhere from you never have to have one again, to once a year (me). Or 1 1/2 years to two years.

(Literally I was VERY young when I had to have one, and I know that technology has changed tremendously, as well as schools of thought.)

Thanks.

3. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

Karen, I don't really know. Not having had that surgery, I guess I never had a reason to wonder.

My first thought would be the answer might also depend upon how 'complete' one's hysterectomy was: ovaries intact? cervix intact?

W/o doing any looking up of info - my recollection is that the pap smear checks mainly for abnormal cervical cells?

This is a good question.....

4. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

I just have friends that have more recently had the SAME identical procedures done and have been told differently.

My gyn retired to do missionary work; came back and retired again this year. So, I'm back to looking for a new gyn again!

:sad:

My sister just went to a new guy so I'm waiting to see what she says about him.

In the meantime, I'll do some research myself so I will be informed when I talk to a new doctor about it!

Thanks, Mel!

:hugs: