Low on color ink, but can't print B&W with a full black cartridge?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sharpshooter, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

My printer is low on all 5 colors of ink, just put in a fresh black ink. It printed several B&W pages (captured images from Google Earth) but the color was more like dark purple not black. I tried converting images to B&W and then printing, I tried printing in greyscale, nothing improved the purple color. It will print Word type documents in black but not images.

Now it won't print at all, a message pops up that says the ink is out. It's not out, the black ink is totally full, I just put it in.

Why can't I use my color printer to print with just black ink? Canon Pixma iP6000D.

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

That's the way most ink jets are designed, they will not print any color with a empty cartridge.

3. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I concur with this opinion. Most inkjets are "dumb" enough that an empty cartridge will cause a "fail state." It will likely not "recover" until the color cartridge is replaced.

4. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Sorry to post a non-constructive message but laser printers are so cheap now, even color ones, that I just have NO idea why anyone tortures themselves with inkjets any more.

:dunno:

-Stooxie

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Yeah, normally it irks me when someone says "just get something else" in response to a technical problem but, in this case, I agree...

Newegg, cheap replacement toner, color, laser, 17ppm, wireless, Samsung: 129.99 shipped price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112121

6. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dang. That's lame. I'm gonna have to replace the 5 empty individual color ink cartridges before it will work just for black & white? $11 x 5 cartriges is $55 just to get it going again, not including the $13 black one I already put in.

I could buy a new B&W inkjet for half that and it comes with ink.

Lame.

Next printer will be a plain B&W laser, color is such a rip off. Especially when B&W printing uses color ink.

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Really, it's only a few dollars savings to get a B&W laser over the color, laser will still print if it's out of one color toner too (though your colors wll be "off."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112184

Samsung B&W laser, 24ppm, wireless 99.99 shipped

Laser does not use color to print B&W, fwiw

8. Drjones

Drjones

Agree completely. You get so much more for your money (far lower cost to print per page with a laser over an inkjet) and the print quality is light years better.

I've purchased & implemented several of them & they are great printers. Not the most straightforward in the world to set up to print wirelessly, but it can definitely be done.

Now, HPs have a pretty elegant wireless print function.

But the price & quality on those Samsungs can't really be beat. I think I even saw that one for $99, but it wasn't wireless, WAS color though.

9. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

Please follow this advice. Keep in mind, also, that even the smaller toner cartridges in these low end printers will print at least a thousand pages, if not more, and you never worry about the dang things drying up on you.

Ink blows... end of story.

-Stooxie

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Be very, very careful buying ink cratridges from an online seller, particularly an E-bay seller. Ink carts will dry up just sitting on a shelf, also, many less scrupulous sellers will refill used carts and sell them as new. If you insist on using an inkjet printer I would, professionally, recommend purchasing them from a reputable, local, brick and mortar establishment.

That way you have a physical building to set fire to when they don't work and they won't refund your money.

11. Drjones

Drjones

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

"I believe you have my thtapler....."

[​IMG]

12. kahrguy

kahrguy

Take the empty color cartridge out leave the black one in and it will print

13. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Not on any I've used ...

14. JBG30

JBG30

The crappy all in one HP I have will print in "back-up mode" if you pull the color cartidge.
    Just found this out because it has decided the color cartridge is incompatible for the printer.