close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Low Carb Vegetables

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by bgcc11, Jul 22, 2004.

1. bgcc11

bgcc11

Vegetables, especially low carb vegetables, are an important part of any healthy eating plan. They provide fiber as well as enzymes, vitamins and minerals. Vegetables are recommended on every diet (not only low carb ones!) so eat as much as you can for optimal health.
    Which ones to include and which to avoid?

Typically vegetables low in carbs are the green leafy veggies. Some contain only 1 gram of carbs per 1 cup serving! Starchy vegetables like potatoes are significantly higher. Below is a list of vegetables with under 20 grams per serving. As you can see, lot of these veggies can be included even on the strictest low carb diet, so throw those low carb vegetables on your plate and eat up!

Low Carb Vegetables
    Gram counts are approximate
    Vegetable Carb Grams
    Acorn squash 1/2 cup 15g
    Artichoke (1) 14g

Asparagus - 4 spears cooked 4g
    Beets 1/2 cup 8g

Brocolli 1/2 cup 2.6g

Butternut Squash 1/2 cup 9g

Cabbage 1/2 cup 4g
    Carrots 1 med 8g

Cauliflower 1/2 cup 3g

Celery 1 stalk 1.5g

Collard Greens 1 cup 12g

Corn 1/2 cup 16g
    Cucumber 1/2 3g

Eggplant 1 cup 7g

Endive 1/2 cup 1g

Green Beans 1/2 cup 5g

Kale 1 cup 7g

Lettuce 1 cup 1g

Mushrooms 1 cup 4g

Onion 1/4 cup 3g

Parsnips 1/2 cup 15g

Peas 1/2 cup 10g

Peppers 1/2 cup 5g

Pumpkin 1/2 cup 10g

Radishes 1 cup 4g

Spinach 1 cup 1g

Tomatoe 1 small 5g

Zucchini 1 small 6g

Most vegetables are included in this list. But what about my favorite - potatoes?

Definately NOT low carb, potatoes weigh in at around 30g of carbs per 1 cup serving. Sweet pototoes are a whopping 44 grams of carbs for each baked with skin. And French Fries? 33 Grams of carbs per 4 oz serving.

Interesting in tracking your carb intake?

Now that you have the scoop on what veggies you can add to your diet, you may want to make sure you are not overeating by using some tools that track your carb intake, your weight and have food lists. For customized diet plans, menus and trackers why not try they offer customized low carb plans so you can make sure you don't overdo it with carbs. Or, if you don't want to be tied down to a PC, try a handheld tracker that fits in your pocket!

Health Benefits of Low Carb Vegetables
    Vegetables, especially when eaten raw, have numerous health benefits. It has been estimated that eating at least 5 portions a day of vegetables can reduce the risk of death from chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and cancer by up to 20%.
    In 1998, the Department of Health's Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy and Nutrition in the UK concluded that eating more vegetables and fruits would reduce the risk of colorectal cancer and gastric cancer. There was also evidence that breast cancer could be reduced by higher consumption of vegetables and fruits.

Research also suggests that eating more fruits and vegetables may have other benefits such as delaying the development of cataracts, lessening the symptoms of asthma and helping to improve diabetes.

Why are Vegetables so beneficial to health?

As well as vitamins and minerals, vegetables also contain many complex plant components. Some of these are also antioxidants, destroying free radicals in the body. And as we've all heard, free radicals are thought to have a role in the development of cancer so if eating vegetables helps to destroy them then that is very beneficial to your health!

Do you need to eat low carb vegetables if you take vitamins?

Apparently the benefits of vegetables and fruits come from the combination of the components that the food is made up of. Dietary supplements containing vitamins and minerals do not appear to have the same results as eating the low carb vegetables themselves. In some studies the supplements have caused more harm then good. I'm not recommending that you toss out your supplements but don't use them as a substitute for getting your RDA of low carb vegetables.

How many low carb vegetables should I eat a day?

Current recommendations are that you should include 3 to 5 servings of vegetables (preferably green leafy veggies like the ones in the low carb vegetables list above) a day. One serving is 1 cup of raw leafy vegetables, 1/2 cup cooked or chopped raw other vegetables and 3/4 cup vegetable juice. But since vegetables are so good for you it won't hurt to eat more than 5 servings!

Low carb vegetables are a must for any healthy eating program. It's easy fit them into most meals! How about a healthy salad with low carb vegetables such as lettuce and cucumber? Or include vegetables right in with your eggs for breakfast. And don't forget healthy low carb vegetables like broccoli and zucchini in your Chicken Stir Fry. While you're at it, try my Low Carb Taco Salad recipe that includes low carb vegetables like Lettuce and Tomato. Or if you are in the mood for some comfort foods, try making some Potatoe-less Mashed Potatoes made with the tasty low carb vegetable - cauliflower! It's easy to work vegetables into your snacks too. Try having a bit of celery with cottage cheese or lite cheese. How about cucumber chips with dip?

If you use your imagination you integrate low carb vegetables into all your meals and easily eat the recommended 5 serving per day. Just make sure to stay away from the starchy vegetables to keep your carb consumption to a minimum. Low carb vegetables are tasty, easy to buy and good for you! It's easy to see why the USDA recommends vegetables as part of the basic food groups.

2. nickg

nickg

i have really had it with this "low-carb" crap.

what's next....new low-carb toilet paper to wipe your fat @$$ with? ?

;Q ;Q ;Q

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

4. elsolo

elsolo

Accorsding to your list, acorn squash and parsnips are low carb, but potatos are not, yet they all three list 30g/cup??

Or do you just eat 1/2 cup of the low carb ones, but eating only 1/2 cup of taters is impossible?

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Not sure about it, but when fiber is subtracted, the parsnips could be low carb. Acorn squash?

Then again, both are low carb compared to a chili cheese stuffed baked potato...

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

My mother always told me to "eat every bean and pea on your plate..." When there were no peas on the plate...

I never knew what that grin was for till I got older...;Q

7. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

Low Carb Vegetables? What the heck do people think vegetables are made of? If there ain't no carbs in the ones you're eating, then you're eating air.

Jeez, I'll be glad when people park their low-carb diet books in the closet next to their line-dancing boots, beanie babies and pet rocks.

8. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Ditto...! Since when does one go against our parents and tell us veggies aren't good for us anymore...! How dare they...;Q

9. nothingness

nothingness singularitarian

vitamins minerals fiber and water

ps, corn is a no no

10. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Gee, and I'm eating Shrimp Scampi now...;P Pasta, Oil, Garlic, Butter, Salt... Oh, the humanity of it all...!

11. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Your excellent article has several mistakes in the, ‘low carb’ vegetable list. Any of the simple starch vegetables should not be there because of their ability to stimulate insulin production within the body. Insulin immediately leads to fat production and defeats the whole, ‘low carb’ scenario.

Suggest that you take the following veggies off the list:

Beets, carrots, corn, parsnips, and the worst offender in the group – potatoes! You did say, ‘green (or string) beans’ didn’t you? Because many of the other beans are absolutely verboten. You have to be careful with peas and lima beans, too. You can eat them; but, ideally, in moderation. You should, also, be aware that the kind of oil you use to sauté these veggies is important. Stick with olive or canola oil. :cool:

12. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Ditto. I'm sick of this garbage.

13. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Wait a minute! It's been my experience that most people allow themselves to be misled and don't really understand, 'How' an authentic, 'low carb' diet should work! Here's an example, 'whole wheat bread'. Good for you and, 'low carb' too - right? No, wrong! Something like, 'Adkins whole wheat bread' is a waste of time and money. It has to be SIMPLE, ORGANIC, WHOLE GRAIN bread - not the commercially processed, high additive crap!

If you're eating, 'low carb' and, at the same time, continuing to eat processed (white) flour, processed (white) sugar, along with hydrogenated/poly cooking oil, and swilling carbonated, high fructose sodas, well, YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME!

I watch people do this everyday - It's a ridiculous, futile situation. Here's another extremely common mistake: Diet, 'sugar free' soda. It would be funny - IF - it weren't so bad for you! Anything carbonated accelerates the fat building process and helps to, 'syrup' your blood. (We won't, even, get into the, 'sugar free' thing. Suffice it to say that the only true, 'sugar free' anything is exactly that: No sweetener(s) of any kind added.)

By doing things correctly I recently lost 64# in 7 and a half months! It was no real effort for me. I, simply, changed, ‘What’ I was eating and ate right. It doesn't get, 'high tech' until you start to read labels before you buy a food item and learn how to avoid commercially processed cow milks and cheeses. I went from, 'On Death's Door' cholesterol and triglyceride levels to, 'Well Below Normal' in less than a year. So these health issues ARE CORRECTABLE WITHOUT SUPER-EXPENSIVE, HIGHLY TOXIC DRUGS! Something the doctors, originally, told me couldn't be done! First they told me; ‘It’s really tough to lose weight; you’re going to have to completely change the way you eat and count calories like an accountant working on his masters!’ After I dropped 50# in record time, they told me; ‘Congratulations!’ and followed with a smart remark about; ‘Too bad weight has nothing to do with cholesterol and triglyceride levels!’ RIGHT, DOC!

However, if it starts at your mouth and ends at your ***, then, it HAS TO BE CORRECTABLE! I had a really hard time trying to bring down my triglyceride level. This one was tough for me; until one doctor asked; ‘What do you eat that’s in a bag?’ I said; ‘What?’ ‘You mean it’s a carbohydrate, and NOT a meat related problem?’ He replied; ‘Yes!’ 'High triglycerides come from processed carbohydrates.’ Well, I’ll be damned; (eventually) and he was right! That did it for me; afterwards the triglycerides came into line.

‘Low carb’ diets are a load of commercial advertising crap! Do it right and see how much weight you can lose with, only, modest effort. Good luck! Little old me did it; so, you can too. ;)

14. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I've enjoyed watching those who were on this whole "Atkins" thing put their weight back on after going off the diet.

Used to listen to someone talk about drinking their Diet Dew and having a beef jerkey while we were on the phone. Obviously his schedule got to busy to stick to the diet (I tried to warn him it wouldn't last) and voila--he's at least 10 pounds heavier now.

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

A true low carb diet is based on wholesome, freshly prepared foods. Not on commerical processing. Not on over-priced speciality products labeled "low carb" or anything similiar.

The reason so many people fail at low carb dieting is not following the instructions. For example, to succeed at Atkins, all you have to do is read the book and follow the instructions. When you do the steps correctly, you are "trained" into proper eating at the end of the weight-loss portion of the way of eating. You are also properly trained on how to eat for the rest of your life to keep the weight off.