Low carb or low fat, which is better?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nursetim, Oct 20, 2015.

1. nursetim

nursetim

so I read a blurb about a study comparing the two. 19 participants, almost impossibly small to be statistically significant, randomized into the two groups, average age 35, I don't recall the male to female ratio.
    The results were, low carb burned 53gm of fat, while low fat burned 89gm of fat.

So does this blow us paleo dieters out of the water? I say screw it, I'm sticking with my yummy meat, especially Bacon. I just hope my MI is massive and takes me out quickly like that pilot.

huskerbuttons likes this.
  2. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Stick to low carb. It works, and is delicious.

Or just eat whatever you want. . . just less of it.

vikingsoftpaw and SunsetMan like this.

3. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

Weight loss - low carb

Long term health - low fat

4. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Carbs convert to fat...fat is required for fat loss.

Sounds like low carb is the way to go. I know when I want to drop weight it is much easier to lower the carb intake and let it happen. I don't eat high fat, but I don't go out of my way to eat super low fat. For me it's carbs and fiber...cut one, raise the other and voila, my pants fit better.

5. BradD

BradD

You guys are welcome to change your mind from a blurb (LOL), but I'm sticking with Paleo. The background theory makes sense, and it has worked well for me.

Paleo isn't very low carb, due to the inclusion of fruit, BTW.

6. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I'm just going to relate what has worked for me, and what I've discovered from actual experience, and nothing I've read.

1.) I distinguish the difference between SUGAR and all other carbs. When avoiding sugar like the plague, I lose weight even if I'm eat plenty of fat the same day. Broccoli is also a carbohydrate, but with a totally different effect on you than sugar. Do not avoid broccoli or anything similar just because it's a carb. It's the good kind. Eat a ton. Pancakes? No.

2.) Do not buy or eat anything that says "natural flavor" in the ingredients list. It usually means MSG, (It's no longer required to be on the list under it's true name.) which is what provides junk food with the subtle, yet addictive nervous system effects that make you crave more of it. It does for the food industry what nicotine did for the tobacco industry. Eliminate all MSG ("natural flavor") for a long enough time, and your craving to eat junk food will completely evaporate into thin air, and you'll even begin to hate the taste of it.

3.) Don't buy the myth that all fat is the enemy. Sugar is. And not carbs in general, just sugar (and HFCS). It's true that avocados are a lot better than bacon, but in the total absence of sugar, you can eat quite a bit of fat and gain no weight - even lose. Eat any sugar at all, and a diet of nothing but rice cakes will get turned into fat and stored on you.

For some reason, sugar seems to be a sort of catalyst that helps your body to manufacture it's own fat and store it, and from almost any raw material. It's false to believe that to gain fat, you have to eat fat. Your body somehow makes fat out of whatever it can get, as long as it has sugar to work with.

The blanket "no carbs" rule is an over simplification that would dictate you turn your back on vegetables that are very good for you.

Turn4811, nursetim and Rizzo like this.
  7. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

Low Carb, Paleo, Gluten Free. All three are great and you can eat until you are full.

If you are looking to lose weight, Paleo needs to be in the low carb mode.

8. 2bgop

2bgop

I have no choice but to eat low fat, it doesn't make the happy the way low carb used to, but I am getting more used to it.

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

Low carb, by far. I'm saying no refined carbs.

10. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

11. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

12. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Everyone in this decade knows it's low carb and cross fit. Low fat and jogging was how many decades ago? Way out of style now! What's going to be correct next decade, or even next year? I'm not sure, but we better keep our fitness mag subscriptions up to date as it's sure to be something else.

Seriously though, I feel better eating good (ie good fats, limited carbs) and if I'm eating good food, I have to be careful to eat enough or I will spontaneously loose weight. Do what makes YOU feel good.

13. robbcayman

robbcayman

Here's how I understand it: when you eat carbs it spikes your insulin level and excessive carbs are stored as fat.

When you don't eat many carbs, your body turns to your fat to reserves for the energy it needs and you lose weight faster. Again, I am no expert, just what I have been told.

Lower carb has helped me. I will stress you need some carbs. I get my carbs in veggies, whole grains, some brown rice and fruit. I eat lots of lean protein and the weight just falls off. Just don't get on a plan that isn't sustainable. My fitness pal is a great free app to help you.

14. Sgt127

Sgt127

I KNOW cutting out the empty carbs makes a huge change for me. No sugar, Corn syrup, bread, noodles, rice etc.

Lunch today was slightly marbled BBQ. green beans and a little coleslaw. No BBQ sauce. Water with lemon.

Dinner last night was grilled chicken and spinach.

I decided I was getting too chunky a couple weeks ago. Back to paying attention to the carbs. Went from 185 to 176 this morning.

I generally stay with that diet unless I go on vacation for a week and splurge a little...well, a lot.

I do "generally Low Carb". With green vegetables, salads and the occasional apple, banana etc thrown in.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Moderation in all things, especially moderation.

16. peng

peng

The most important word to weight loss is not carbs, but it does start with a C. Thermodynamics has remained unchanged in spite of the pressure from the latest trends and fads.

17. IvanVic

IvanVic

What he said. This is very simple, people only try to make it complex in order to sell you junk.

When someone gives you diet advice, ask them how many calories are in 1 gram of fat, 1 gram of protein and 1 gram of carbohydrates. If they can't tell you without looking it up, ignore everything they say.

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

If you say "calories in, calories out", some people will look at you like you just beat a puppy to death with a baby.

19. BradD

BradD

We need to do an experiment. One of you eat 1500 calories per day of bread and candy over the next month. Another eat 1500 calories per day of meat, fruit, nuts, and other paleo foods. Let's see what happens.

kiole likes this.
  20. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Paleo by far has been the best weight loss program for me. It has kept my weight off for over 2 yrs now.