close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Low-carb": has it peaked?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by The Pontificator, Dec 19, 2004.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

KANSAS CITY, Mo.(AP) About a year ago, Dave Champlin and his two roommates lived in what their friends at the University of Missouri called the House of Fat. At a combined weight of 890 pounds, the three decided to try the Atkins diet. By sticking to the low-carb, high-protein diet, Champlin lost about 45 pounds and his roommates each lost between 50 and 60 pounds.

Despite being pleased with the results, all three were off the diet by this past summer and have gained back some of the weight. Champlin, 23, and his friends exemplify why many diet and food industry experts are declaring the low-carb diet craze over.

"It just got kind of tiresome," Champlin said. "Eating the same thing over and over. It was monotonous."

A study by NPD Group, an independent marketing information company, found that the percentage of American adults on any low-carb diet in 2004 peaked at 9.1 percent in February and dropped to 4.9 percent by early November.

Further, it said only one of four people surveyed was significantly cutting carbs and "virtually none" were reducing carbs as much as the diets recommended.

That means many companies that rode the low-carb wave are either out of business or refocusing their strategies.

One example: MGP Ingredients Inc. of Atchison, Kan., which profited from the low-carb trend, earlier this month announced it was cutting its fiscal 2005 per-share earnings forecast by more than half _ from $1.08 to no more than 50 cents.

The reason is reduced demand for its specialty proteins and starches used to reduce carbohydrates in foods. MGP said low-carb demand had peaked, and it did not expect it to return to anywhere near the level that sparked a 123 percent increase in sales in the third quarter of fiscal 2004.

MGP always expected the low-carb demand to cool, but it happened more quickly than anticipated, spokesman Steve Pickman said.

"We expected at least to continue at its strong level for the next 18 to 36 months," Pickman said. "We by no means feel low-carb is dead, but it's declined to a much lower plateau than we or the industry expected."

2. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

jawjaboy

Want to make some money?
    I think if somebody would take an empty, small cardboard box, and put a pretty label on it that read "LOW CARB AIR"....she would pay GOOD money for it. She has been 102-105 pounds for 28 years now...CHEEEEZ. She has been doing this low carb thing now for about 18 months...and is at a whopping 103 pounds. LORD I love her.

"Posterity-you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope that you will make good use of it."

John Quincy Adams

Ironic huh ponti?

3. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

I see two main contributing factors, people wanting a magic bullet and people doing the plans correctly.

Many, many people think they can just replace whatever they were eating with the low carb version and expect to lose 50lbs in a month. When they don't, they quit buying the more expensive products. Or maybe they did the first phase of any of the popular low carb diets, lost weight, then thought that for some reason this time that if they ate like pigs again they wouldn't get fat. ;Q

Then there are those who embrace the lifestyle change. Every low carb diet I've seen involves lots of 'real' food and very little of the prepared stuff the manufacturers are now finding harder to sell. You can't tell who's doing low carb correctly by sales of speciality foods, since it's misleading.

The only reason I had hoped the 'craze' would catch on was to make it easier to eat out. But I survived before it and I'll survive after it.

Laura

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I got so sick of this "diet" that I preached against it almost from the very start.

The "hot" guy I'd been seeing was on it, lost probably 20 or so lbs. and every single time he'd call me he'd be snacking on beef jerky or a diet Dew. I would all but go off about it, telling him Atkins was a "quack".

The last time I saw him in August it was evident he'd gotten off the diet. He'd put on about 10 pounds and had big circles under his eyes. I tried to tell him that nobody can stay on this "diet" indefinately. Things just don't work that way. Humans weren't meant to live off meat alone.

He used to make fun of my regimen of running and exercise and being able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I bet he's not laughing anymore. I've kept off all the weight and continue to hover around a general weight of 105-110. I don't deny myself what I like--ice cream, fried chicken tenders, broccoli & cheese, and even fast food.

5. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Unfortunately FAT is still in!!!!;f

6. BikerGoddess

Might I suggest you actually read the book...

Laura

7. DaHaMac

DaHaMac

I've been on the Paleo-diet for about 2 years now, and I have put back on maybe 10lbs of the 140+ that I lost. Of course, I also haven't been in the gym in the past four months either.

I agree with the one who posted earlier that those who are correctly following the low-carb diets aren't wasting their money on the low carb products. The only low carb thing that I buy is Blue Plate mayonaise, and that is because I don't feel like making it from scratch. However, even that is streching the boundries of the diet because it is a processed food. For me, this isn't a diet but a lifestyle change and I know that I'll never return to eating the old way again.

Maybe they are alot more people that feel like eating a low carb donut is alot like drinking decaff coffee. Why bother? I know alot of ppl drink decaff, but I'm sure you all can understand my point and that is why these companies that specialized in low carb will eventually go bust.

8. SouthernGal

I DID actually read the book, in 1999.

9. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

SG,
    You may need to reread it cause your original post doesn't show your comprehension of the program.:)

10. SouthernGal

My problem with this whole thing is that "induction" phase and the fact that many people who start this "diet" never get OUT of the "induction phase". They never readd carbs and when they do, it usually ISN'T the whole grain type. The other thing I've noted is that the vast majority of those I've known who went on this "diet" never exercised at all. Therefore, they had no change in lifestyle and when push came to shove, they ultimately ended up regaining the weight because they went back to their old habits.

I've never had any "induction" phase with what I've done. Nothing is ever forbidden the way I eat. I do, however, follow a pretty strict exercise routine. It is a tradeoff.

11. BikerGoddess

So, it sounds like your problem is with the people, not the plan. It's hardly Dr. Atkins' fault (or Dr. Agatston) that people don't do it correctly and it doesn't make it junk science, either. Is your doctor a quack if you don't do what he tells you?

It's pretty well known that if you get fat eating a certain way one time, you're going to get fat again if you go back to eating that way after a diet. *Any* diet.

That's a problem with human nature, not a diet plan. There are some low carb diets that don't have phases, the Scwartzbein Principle being one. However, the phased approach, if done correctly, is quicker, and therefore more motivating to stick with.

Now, whoever came up with the grapefruit juice diet *is* a quack, because there isn't any way to stay with that for the rest of your life. However, the most popular low carb diets offer a lifetime plan.

Laura

12. SouthernGal

What I was seeing was that this guy and my old boss (both who had lost quite a bit of weight on Atkins) were constantly eating nothing but meats/proteins. I can never remember a time when Brad (the boss) ever ate a piece of bread, whether it was whole grain or otherwise. Instead, he'd keep right on with the sausage/egg McMuffin and only eat the inside. It was as if he never learned how to eat at all. I should also say that after months of doing this, Brad started looking 'dead' and by that I mean he had huge circles under his eyes and he looked like a zombie. His cheeks were hollowed-out looking. He lost about 60 or so pounds eating meats.

Surely at some point he must have known he couldn't live like this for the rest of his life...

I got laughed at for eating ice cream, pizza, rice, sandwiches and all that stuff, but long-term, I've been okay. Not because I changed my eating habits all that much, but because of the exercise.

I think the major flaw is that 1)people who go on this diet are never starting exercise and 2)they are never changing to meet the diet's phases. You can't expect long-term success like that.

13. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

SG
    There is more to it than you are seeing. You should consider yourself blessed that exercise alone works.
    I went to a gym and followed a rigorous program of good diet(low fat, low calorie basic stuff) and rigorous exercise. It was said that I had to loose 50 to 70 lbs easily. After 6 months on the program I lost 5lbs. I had gotten bigger as I built muscle and felt good but I was way overweight. I continued for another 3 months with no improvement. My exercise levels were 5 times more than in the past including strength training and cardio. Nothing. All of this was logged in detail the eating and the exercise. They had nothing to say to me except well you feel a lot better anyway.
    You don't seem to have an argument that the diet doesn't work but that some folks don't transition properly. Also Atkins suggests physical activity as part of the program.
    Everyone responds differently to different things. I can't eat a lot of carbs. It makes be not feel well. ymmv

14. SouthernGal

Okay, stupid question--I work with a woman here at work who has a thyroid condition. Have you been checked for this? This is why she's unable to lose weight through diet and exercise.

The diet DOES work, but I'm not convinced that it is a long term solution considering that most of the people I know who've been off of it have not followed through. That requires a permanent lifestyle change and most of them aren't willing to make that type of sacrifice. There is no "magic pill" and yet a lot of people thought that's exactly what this low carb business was--they thought they could cut serious carbs for the rest of their lives with no exercise and still lose weight.

I'm certainly not advocating eating a lot of carbs either, but I do keep my consumption of red meat really low. Realistically, I eat whatever I want, but I do take that exercise very seriously. I would have never taken up running if I didn't quit smoking. My initial exercise was only walking to lose weight. I hit a plateau about about 120 or so and the running and the divorce got me over that hump. I surely would have never thought I'd continue the weight loss as I have once I quit with the nicotine.

I eat bread, rice, rolls, pasta all that high carb stuff if I want it. The guy I was dating wouldn't touch a sweet or a piece of bread to save his soul. My objection is to someone living like that long term. It's unrealistic.

15. BikerGoddess

SG, how is what you're suggesting not a lifestyle change for most people? If they can't make that kind of change with regards to low carb, they can't make it with regards to portion control and exercising.

Based only your statements about the two people you knew who tried low carb, I can't say if they were doing it right or not. I'm in lifetime maintenance and I do eat bread occasionally, but I'd still not eat the muffin part of an egg McMuffin. That example doesn't prove anything.

I don't know why you're so rabidly against low carb because your arguments so far could apply to any low effort attempt to lose weight. I've been following Atkins for over two years, and I don't look hollow or gaunt or ill. I eat more than meat.

I'm not saying everyone should do it, but can we please not slam other people for something that works for them?

Laura

16. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Laura... I'm really happy you posted that photo, you look spectacular...
    Your best photo yet... Down rite delish...

You've also handled this conversation really well, most likely because Southern Gal has always been
    friendly and nice as far as I've seen...

And you're right, the examples SG gave are common, but they have nothing to do with The Atkins way of eating...

Doc Atkins wants you to exercise, drink lots of water, eat lots of salads and veggies
    and take vitamins and supplements...

When I'm in the zone, (ketosis) I feel spectacular, my appetite is very supressed, and I lose a pound a day
    for the first month or so...
    After that 3-4 a week...

I lost 50, and have another 50 to go...

I'll get back into it after the 1st...
    I just joined a gym...

;c

17. BikerGoddess

Thanks Bill. It's one of my favorite photos, actually. I just love that skirt.

Congrats on your loss so far and good luck on your future losses. If you haven't already, take your measurements before starting at the gym. It's likely you'll see a small gain on the scale, but a decrease in your inches.

Laura

18. dougader

dougader

Over three years for me on Atkins. I don't see what's so hard about it. I lost about 46 pounds in 6-7 months and have kept it off. No big deal.

I saw a piece on excercising a couple weeks ago. Yeah, you'd have to run about 35 miles a day to work off the ice cream and pizza most people had for dinner Saturday night.

Who in the heck said Atkins was about "living off meat alone?" I bet I eat more vegetables than you do. I just don't eat the poison you seem to love, like ice cream and fast food loaded with trans fatty acids. Remember, even skinny people get atheroclerosis from eating processed junk.

Low fat is the fad the government quacks shoved onto the US public and you're still buying into it.

http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/m-n/moore-jimmy/2004/moore121204.htm

19. XD40FAN

XD40FAN

I really hope the fad is over. That way, the stores I shop at won't always be picked over in the meat department!!! :(

20. dougader

dougader

Its not a fad, its a lifestyle choice. Dr. Atkins wrote his first book in 1972. Some fad. ;Q