close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loving my RIA!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bear72, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bear72

bear72 Member

So, after firing my friends RIA 1911 compact and recently obtaining my CCL, I bought one. My Glock 21 was to bulky for carry, so...with great inner conflict I traded my 14yr old Glock straight across for a new RIA 1911 compact at my local gunshop, and wow. This pistol is worth a closet full of Glocks! Ive put about 200 rounds through it without a single malfunction, it is suprisingly accurate for a compact pistol with small GI sights, it feels wonderful in my hands and am now in love with the 1911 design. I want a full-size badly now (going to try and save for a Wilson...maybe by christmas...of 2014,lol). I will never carry anything but a 1911 again, what a value, I cant beleive this is a $435 pistol, I would expect to pay twice that much for a pistol like this. I ordered black double diamond grips I think will give it a better look. I hope this pic isnt to small.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

they are one of the best gun to dollar ratios out there.

3. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

I installed a set of black double diamond rubber grips on my RIA Compact Tactical.

[​IMG]

Be careful. RIAs are habit forming.

[​IMG]

I am very glad that you are well pleased with your RIA. More and more guys are finding out that the RIA 1911s are a real diamond in the rough. :supergrin:

4. limbkiller

limbkiller

Congrats on the new RIA. I put this one on lay-away and will pick it up for my 21st birthday. :rofl: I wish. Be 56 on Sept. 5. I can still out work most of these young guys. Need a new gun as I need something new to shoot. Hope I'm as happy with mine as you are.
    http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911-CS.aspx

5. bear72

bear72 Member

Thanks guys. Very nice collection of RIA's! Thats the same grips I ordered, they look great! I hope they look the same on mine.

6. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Congrats man, I sometimes miss my old RIA compact. If I ever get a new one it will definitely be the Tactical model.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Congrats on the RIA Bear'

Like many, I believe it's one of the greatest buys in a compact 45!

8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Congrats ! I plan to buy one soon myself.Best bang for your buck in a 1911.I have never heard anything but good reviews about RIA's.

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats! I like my Rock Islands alot.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice

I love my RIA. :)

11. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

RIA really makes a solid 1911 that is very easy on the wallet. I used my RIA compact during the colder months for quite some time. Its now a back-up to my Ultra Carry II but I still carry it once in awhile because its just that great of a gun.

I changed out a few things but only because I wanted checkered grips, bigger sights, extended thumb safety since I ride them when I shoot and a longer trigger. I've never had a single issue with it and even though I have 1911s costing much more, I'm going to have a hard time passing on their newest full rail model.

[​IMG]

12. bear72

bear72 Member

Very nice Nakan', I like the custom work you did. I just ordered the black rubber double diamond grips; both for comfort and to give it the 'blacked out look' common among higher end 1911's. I havent seen the full rail model yet. One of the coolest features on mine is the bull barrel, Ive never had a handgun with one, I'm guessing it helps the gun from over-heating, but does it have the improved accuracy like it does on rifles? I'm not sure it makes that much diference in such a short barrel, also, is it heavier?, the negative with bull barrels on a rifle is weight, they make great bench rest guns but hard to carry and hunt with...I guess my question is, what are the pros/cons of the bull barrel on a compact 1911. :cool:

13. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

For the smaller 1911s, the bull barrel is there to keep muzzle flip to a minimum and ensure reliability.

14. bear72

bear72 Member

That makes sense. I can see how that would reduce muzzle flip.

15. Jim S.

Jim S.

Looks like another guy gets bit by the 1911 bug.
    I wonder how many 1911's you will have in say five years or so...
    Accept it...
    There is nothing you can do about it!

16. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

RIA's are good stuff. Pretty underrated for what they are. Had a "GI" model in 9mm and it was great. Don't have it at this point...traded for something I wanted more. Wasn't an issue with the pistol, just preference.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another RIA. They're well made for their level.

17. Ken Rainey

Ken Rainey 1 WILD PIG

Yep, I have to agree...I recently acquired a CS model with the GI sights from a friend..I installed some used checkered grips I got from a gentlemen on another forum and took it to the range yesterday and ran some Winchester 230 FMJ thru it...it'll put'em in the X and 10 ring of a B-27 at 25 yds...yep, I'm impressed. Only issue was a last rd failure to extract the fired brass using the 7 rd ACT mag - empty was almost put back in the mag with a failure to lock the slide open. The factory GI styled 7rd mag and a new Colt 6 rd mag worked just fine.

18. denn1911

denn1911

After reading all of the positive reviews on the RIA 1911's, I may have to get one. It seems like a great value for the price.

19. Kaybe

Kaybe

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have been thinking for some time of getting a RIA pistol. But not sure which one. Commader size or compact? Magazines available for the compact with no problem? I have the money, not sure which way to go now. Thanks for posting the comments about the compact, that really helps.

20. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee

I decided on the compact (officer) model. I bought a Chip McCormick mag for it. Part # 14120.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2CMC14120-1.html

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011